Gauge R&R & Calibration Intervals

Fowldsy

Registered
Hello All,

In aim to reduce the workloads in our Metrology Lab, I'm introducing Gauge R&R and Calibration procedures to standardise an efficient method of working. However, one question I cannot find through our customer CSR's (Automotive) and IATF/ISO documents is how often these should be complete. Obviously, through design changes, re-PPAP, gauge/tool damage etc.. But if we have a contract for over ten years, is there any document to say how often I should re-gauge R&R or re-calibrate the associated equipment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Gage R&R's are only required one time, unless you make a change to the measurement system, such as changing the type of gage used, the method used, the skill level of the operators, etc. Calibration, however, does need to be repeated. The calibration interval is based on a large number of factors, including the risk of passing nonconforming product. Some of these factors include the usage, the environment, opportunity for damage, type of gage, etc.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
To the best of my knowledge, there is no specified interval for either calibration or GR&R (at least not in TS-16949). With that being said, if you make your calibration interval more than 1 yr, be sure to have a valid reason for it - data to support your 'new' interval would be best.
As for GR&R, I have been told by MANY customers that it is 'required' annually, but none of them have been able to show me WHERE it says that it is required. If there is no change to the part or the gauge design, then I would suggest that a repeat GR&R is not necessary.

Fowldsy

Registered
Perfect, the same outcome I have had.

For GR&R I currently have no interval but I've had feedback from two OEM's which are sure an interval has to be made but the frequency is up to us. Unless there CSR verifies this (which it doesn't), I will keep the frequency to changes to process, damage etc..

As for calibration, we have close to 1600 instruments that require calibration with very few failures. Using this data, I plan to delay the large solid gauge blocks to 3 year intervals from 1 year. Yet, variable devices such as DTI's will be increased from 1 year to 3 monthly which targets on area on concern we have.

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
A couple of points to consider:
1. See the ~IATF FAQ no.6 relating to clause 7.1.5.1.1 - not every single gauge requires an MSA. Gauges having the same characteristics can be grouped together so that an MSA can be conducted on a sample gauge. This may save you some time.
2. Consider PPAP submission requirements. A customer may request a new PPAP submission if there are changes since the original submission in construction methods or materials; new or additional tools; refurbishment or rearrangement of tooling or equipment; transfer of location; change of subcontractor; tooling inactive for over 12 months; any change affecting customer requirements or a change in test or inspection method. The level of PPAP required may be chosen by the customer and could include a new MSA in any of the above.

Fowldsy

Registered
A couple of points to consider:
1. See the ~IATF FAQ no.6 relating to clause 7.1.5.1.1 - not every single gauge requires an MSA. Gauges having the same characteristics can be grouped together so that an MSA can be conducted on a sample gauge. This may save you some time.
2. Consider PPAP submission requirements. A customer may request a new PPAP submission if there are changes since the original submission in construction methods or materials; new or additional tools; refurbishment or rearrangement of tooling or equipment; transfer of location; change of subcontractor; tooling inactive for over 12 months; any change affecting customer requirements or a change in test or inspection method. The level of PPAP required may be chosen by the customer and could include a new MSA in any of the above.

Thanks for the advice. We have grouped as many as we can get away with but due to the unique application, the majority need individual tests.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Consider PPAP submission requirements. A customer may request a new PPAP submission if there are changes since the original submission in construction methods or materials; new or additional tools; refurbishment or rearrangement of tooling or equipment; transfer of location; change of subcontractor; tooling inactive for over 12 months; any change affecting customer requirements or a change in test or inspection method. The level of PPAP required may be chosen by the customer and could include a new MSA in any of the above.
Regardless of the PPAP level, all elements must be completed unless explicitly waived by the customer. In the case of submissions after the initial one, there is no reason that the MSA should be done again unless something significant in the measurement system has changed (see Miner's post above). The fact that there have been no changes in the measurement system should mean that the MSA doesn't have to be repeated, but there are many benighted customers who will force you to do it anyway.

BMWilson

Registered
Quality Manager has our department doing Gage R&R and Gage attribute studies once per year (over 100 studies in a department of 5) stating it is a requirement in MSA, I am trying to find a way to refute his claims. I would appreciate any help.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Quality Manager has our department doing Gage R&R and Gage attribute studies once per year (over 100 studies in a department of 5) stating it is a requirement in MSA, I am trying to find a way to refute his claims. I would appreciate any help.
When you refer to "...a requirement in MSA..." are you referring to the AIAG MSA manual? Have you asked the QM to show you where it says that gage studies must be done annually?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I don't think the QM will be able to demonstrate that it is a requirement in the AIAG MSA manual unless there is a customer specific requirement (CSR). I have never seen that requirement in the manual.

Top Bottom