Gauge R&R on a torque measurement

I work for a driveshaft manufacturer and we are measuring joint articulation torque on driveshaft universal joints. The tolerance is 0.3Nm to 0.7Nm so already its a torque measurement with a very small window for variability. What we are seeing is that the measurement is climbing from each operator. For example, operator 1 measurements look like .52, .58, .61, so my range is looking high but the next operator is having roughly the same measurements (.53, .57, .62) so each trial across the operators is consistent but because our measurement is climbing, its making our range look big and I believe its what is causing us to fail. I have been running a nested ANOVA and getting failing results. Am I running the wrong study for this test? Any ideas?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
"In God We Trust, All Others Must Bring Data - Dr. Demming", please share a spreadsheet or similar with data and results....helps move the help process and discussion along...

Bill Levinson

Industrial Statistician and Trainer
If I run it in StatGraphics, I get zero reproducibility (appraiser variation) for JAT Rear, but I am using the average and range method and not nested ANOVA. I understand that a nested model is sometimes used for destructive or other non-reproducible testing (but I have never worked with this), but your application looks perfectly amenable to the average and range method, or ordinary ANOVA in which the parts are one factor and the operator is another. We expect a difference between the parts but hope to not get any between the operators.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
What we are seeing is that the measurement is climbing from each operator. For example, operator 1 measurements look like .52, .58, .61, so my range is looking high but the next operator is having roughly the same measurements (.53, .57, .62) so each trial across the operators is consistent but because our measurement is climbing, its making our range look big and I believe its what is causing us to fail. I have been running a nested ANOVA and getting failing results. Am I running the wrong study for this test? Any ideas?
The pattern you describe is only apparent on parts 5 thru 10 (see multi-vary plot). These parts also have higher torque. Is there something different about these compared to parts 1 thru 4? A crossed R&R study assumes that the parts do not change when measured. Sometimes parts do change when measured (e.g., rubber parts). However, only some of these parts appear to have changed. Parts 1 thru 4 have less variation and no discernible pattern. Before we worry about the correct analysis, I recommend investigating the parts.

1579728573421.png

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
So they are not from the normal process? This may have resulted in unintended differences. It is also unnecessary as the parts should reflect normal process variation.

These parts are from our staking process but we had an engineer change some of them to be low, some to be normal, and some to be high so we will have the variance for the ANOVA study. The issue is that its a torque measurement with a very small tolerance window, and because the torque measurement may not necessarily be repeatable, Im wondering if a Gauge R&R is the right test for this.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hi Jayfass, from what you have said the part data has been rearranged for the study. If we select 10 parts and perform repeated measurements on each with multiple operators, then go on to compute a standard deviation representing repeatability it's valid to compare this against the specification width to compute a consumption of tolerance but only if the measurement process is consistent.

However, if we want the result of the study to represent what we see in the production process and not just a measurement repeatability study between operators then we need to select parts in a way which best represents the variation in the production process. For a torque study we have aspects like variation in nuts and bolts, hole, lubrication, washers etc etc to rationally take into consideration

As long as we understand what we are trying accomplish and what the results will portray against what the customer requires.

For your studies:

Front - measurement process is not consistent, particularly affecting parts 6 and 7 across 2 operators, this requires looking at before making any characterisations about the measurement process because the standard deviation is clearly not stable and therefore not representative.

Rear - Measurement is consistent, no detectible operator bias (reproducibility), the real consumption of repeatability at a minimum of 96% confidence for the samples chosen is 12%.

Its true that the average torque values for the parts in both studies appear to climb but as the data has been re arranged into Low Med and High that's hardly surprising. This type of study doesn't care about the patterns of averages or ranges as long as they are not detectibly different.

I hope this helps

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Should we immediately have recalibrated our Digital Torque Gauge? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Norm for Acceptance Calibration Results Torque Gauge and /or Dynamometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
K Torque Gauge R&R - Non-Replicable GRR Case Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I How many gauges in a Go/No Go Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
J Designing new gauge tracking software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Gauge Study for Small Lots Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
H Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Do Brands Matter When Purchasing Bore Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
G Comparing Gauge Blocks - Translating the calibration between the master set and the QA set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Gauge R&R & Calibration Intervals Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
Ron Rompen Source needed for Spline Form gauge (GO and NOGO members) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S How to calculate the maximum allowable hysteresis of a pressure gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Gauge R and R - Product - Conveyor belt with threads that goes on Sprocket Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
K Measurement Uncertainty Budget (MU) of for Ultrasonic Thickness gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
R Radius Gauge R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
N Correct reading for analog pressure gauge ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Ron Rompen Gauge Design Standards Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B Gauge CAD certification to Part CAD vs. Gauge certification to Part CAD General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
shimonv Feeler Gauge as a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Proper Thickness Gauge for Foam/Felt and Soft Materials General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J What kind of Tool and Gauge in IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
alonFAI Gauge R&R for a Peel Tester (tensile tester) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
R Height gauge to measure short hard to access heights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Why Gauge R&R 10% is acceptable for variable instruments ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Can we calibrate a standard pin with a gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C How to perform Gauge R & R on Automated Test & Measurement Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Inactive Gauge Retention Time - PPAP Section 6 Requirements APQP and PPAP 1
Q Pin Gauge Setup - Measuring the OD of a Catheter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Gauge R&R for Destructive Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
J JMP Gauge R&R with FORD MSA Data Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
V Pharmaceutical Analytical Method Validation and Gauge R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10