Gauge R&R Studies Bad, but Process has a Cmk of over 7

C

Covenant

I've got a process with a Cmk of over 7 but my gauge R&R (range 0.002mm) tells me that my gauging process is rubbish! Do highly capable processes mess with the R&R calculations. I can't believe the spreadsheet's results.:mad:
Can anyone help, please?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

Pudge 72

Re: Gauge Studies

Hi there. As I believe I am the first to respond, let me be the one to ask if it is possible to post the data - it is a common request and helps to see the numbers.
Without the numbers, it seems you have a suspiciously high CPK value. Without seeing the data - a couple of questions come to mind, what is your tolerance on the feature that is being measured? We need to take into account that as far as gage is concerned, your results may indicate that while your process is alright, the accuracy and precision with which you are measuring the feature is not good. It may indicate that Operators cannot repeat the repeat the results within their own datasets or amongst themselves. Are we talking about the Tolerance% of the R&R or the Total Variation?
I would post the data and wait for answers from some of our more expierienced R&R guys / gals - Bev, Miner, Steve & Jim come to mind.

D

David DeLong

I've got a process with a Cmk of over 7 but my gauge R&R (range 0.002mm) tells me that my gauging process is rubbish! Do highly capable processes mess with the R&R calculations. I can't believe the spreadsheet's results.:mad:
Can anyone help, please?
Yes, they sure do.

Here is what that automotive suppliers have found out in North America. Make sure that when you select the samples that they reflect a range of some sort. Otherwise, you will obtain a very high percentage of the process and your ndc will be low.

I was performing an R & R with a group of people during a seminar and we found that the GRR % was really high with a very low ndc. I just changed 1 value in the sample and then everything was great. I kept the same range with the 3 Operators and 2 samples but moved it up about 0.3 mm. What a difference.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

Yes, they sure do.

Here is what that automotive suppliers have found out in North America. Make sure that when you select the samples that they reflect a range of some sort. Otherwise, you will obtain a very high percentage of the process and your ndc will be low.

I was performing an R & R with a group of people during a seminar and we found that the GRR % was really high with a very low ndc. I just changed 1 value in the sample and then everything was great. I kept the same range with the 3 Operators and 2 samples but moved it up about 0.3 mm. What a difference.
This is very bad advice!

Covenant,
What do you use your gage for, inspection or process control?

If you use the gage for inspection, your selection of samples to measure does not matter, because you should calculate the P/T Ratio, which is the percentage of your tolerance taken by measurement variation. Part variation is not included in this calculation.

If you use the gage for process control, your selection of samples is critical. The sample variation MUST reflect the actual process variation. You should calculate the %GRR and ndc, both of which use the process variation in the calculation. %GRR is the percentage of process variation taken by the measurement variation. So, to answer your question, a highly capable process does require a much better gage than a less capable process.

David,
Deliberately selecting parts with a wider range of variation than the actual process results in an invalid %GRR and ndc. Doing this with the knowledge that you are influencing the results in your favor is falsification of the MSA results.

D

David DeLong

David,
Deliberately selecting parts with a wider range of variation than the actual process results in an invalid %GRR and ndc. Doing this with the knowledge that you are influencing the results in your favor is falsification of the MSA results.
I did not say that one should select parts with a wider range than the actual process results, I said select the sample carefully.

Let's say we are going to perform an R & R study on 10 parts. How do we select the parts? Randomly? How about consecutively off the process? I did not say we were going to manufacture nonconforming parts. I said select them carefully making sure that reflect the width of the process. Let's say that we select 10 parts that were in the first sigma limit. How would that affect the result? We would end up with a high percentage. I see this all the time.

Even if we selected the samples carefully, we still could achieve a high R &R percentage of the process and that happens all the time. MSA 2nd edition allowed either the percentage relative to the tolerance range or process abut MSA 3rd edition is the process unless the tolerance range is smaller.

Miner - please let me know how one should be selecting the samples for this study? There is nothing in the AIAG MSA 3rd edition on this subject.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

Let's say we are going to perform an R & R study on 10 parts. How do we select the parts? Randomly? How about consecutively off the process? I did not say we were going to manufacture nonconforming parts. I said select them carefully making sure that reflect the width of the process. Let's say that we select 10 parts that were in the first sigma limit. How would that affect the result? We would end up with a high percentage. I see this all the time.

Even if we selected the samples carefully, we still could achieve a high R &R percentage of the process and that happens all the time. MSA 2nd edition allowed either the percentage relative to the tolerance range or process abut MSA 3rd edition is the process unless the tolerance range is smaller.

Miner - please let me know how one should be selecting the samples for this study? There is nothing in the AIAG MSA 3rd edition on this subject.
First, the decision to assess the gage to tolerance or process should be based on the application of the gage (i.e., inspection or process control). This tells you whether to use P/T Ratio or %GRR/ndc. MSA 3rd edition does not contradict this, but does put a lot of emphasis on the process as you said, so it is easy to miss this distinction.

If the gage is to be used for process control, the parts selected must have a variation equivalent to the process variation. The gage to be studied should be used to perform a preliminary process capability study retaining the part/measurement traceability. I say preliminary because the gage must be determined to be acceptable before performing the actual capability study. However, in this situation the observed variation will contain the same measurement variation as the MSA. This allows you to quantify the combined process/measurement variation. Select a subset of these parts that will provide the same combined process/measurement variation as the preliminary capability study, and perform the MSA.

This will give you an accurate %GRR/ndc. If these are acceptable, your preliminary capability study may be assessed for control and capability as is. If they are not acceptable, the measurement system must be improved and the cycle above repeated.

S

shahshahani

I think it's usual because your process has a small variation (Cpk>7) and the %R&R is equal R&R/TV, because u have a small TV the fraction is going to increase and u will have a big %R&R.

Mansoor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Covenant - if you post your data and answer some basic questions about your gage and process and what you are attempting to do (is the gage used for final acceptance inspection, in process SPC, incoming inspection, etc) we can provide specific advice to help you

otherwise we get to debate each other about hypotheticals...

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Covenant - if you post your data and answer some basic questions about your gage and process and what you are attempting to do (is the gage used for final acceptance inspection, in process SPC, incoming inspection, etc) we can provide specific advice to help you

otherwise we get to debate each other about hypotheticals...
Bev,

Covenant's post is from 20th December 2007. I hope is still interested. ;)

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B NDC - Gauge R&R Studies with results where NDC = 1 or 0 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Normalising Data for Gauge R&R Studies with Minitab Using Minitab Software 14
B Gauge to Gauge (Gage) Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
R "Gauge (Gage) R&R Studies per MSA Manual" - Customer Audit Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
F Gauge R&R Studies on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Seeking a good reference on gauge R&R studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Jerry Eldred Gauge R&R studies for Automatic Gages and Test Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
F Calibrating Taper Sleev/Plug Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
I How many gauges in a Go/No Go Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
J Designing new gauge tracking software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Gauge Study for Small Lots Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
H Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Do Brands Matter When Purchasing Bore Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G Comparing Gauge Blocks - Translating the calibration between the master set and the QA set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Gauge R&R & Calibration Intervals Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
Ron Rompen Source needed for Spline Form gauge (GO and NOGO members) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S How to calculate the maximum allowable hysteresis of a pressure gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Gauge R and R - Product - Conveyor belt with threads that goes on Sprocket Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
K Measurement Uncertainty Budget (MU) of for Ultrasonic Thickness gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
R Radius Gauge R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
N Correct reading for analog pressure gauge ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Ron Rompen Gauge Design Standards Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B Gauge CAD certification to Part CAD vs. Gauge certification to Part CAD General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
shimonv Feeler Gauge as a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Proper Thickness Gauge for Foam/Felt and Soft Materials General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J What kind of Tool and Gauge in IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
alonFAI Gauge R&R for a Peel Tester (tensile tester) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
R Height gauge to measure short hard to access heights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Why Gauge R&R 10% is acceptable for variable instruments ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Can we calibrate a standard pin with a gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C How to perform Gauge R & R on Automated Test & Measurement Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Inactive Gauge Retention Time - PPAP Section 6 Requirements APQP and PPAP 1
Q Pin Gauge Setup - Measuring the OD of a Catheter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1