GD&T Bonus Tolerance OOS

Schkund

Involved In Discussions
I am wondering how it is handled when the dimension used to calculate a bonus tolerance falls outside of specifications. For example, say there is a circular hole and there is a GD&T callout for the true position with an MMC based on the diameter of the hole. Now say the hole diameter itself falls outside of specifications; let's say the hole is too small. Obviously the part itself fails, but if I still want to do some analysis of the true position regardless, how exactly should I handle it? A hole that is too small will have a negative MMC bonus tolerance.

Statistical analysis of a GD&T feature with bonus features tends to get a bit hairy in and of itself and with an OOS bonus tolerance, I think I'm getting a bit out of my depth.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Matt's Quality Handle

Involved In Discussions
A hole that is too small will have a negative MMC bonus tolerance.
Functionally, that is what happens. Your location must be even more precise for a proper assembly. But as you pointed out, it's a moot point if the hole is OOS small.

As for analysis, I've found it more helpful to analyze the X and Y coordinates (using same coordinate system as the machining process) independently. To demonstrate TP to the customer, I calculate % of total tolerance used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Control Charting a Feature with Bonus Tolerance Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
M Geometric Tolerance Bonus Datum question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Positional Tolerance - Bonus / Datum Shift / ASME Y14.5M - Clarification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
L GD&T Bonus Tolerance - Checking True Position of a Pierced Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
L When and how to apply Bonus Tolerance MMC - Hole Dimension Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
J Reporting GDT (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) Bonus Tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
G Clarification on Position with Bonus Tolerance - Feature Control Frame Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
P Process Capability with GD&T bonus tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
W Ghosn Cuts Nissan Board Bonus World News 0
O Quality Bonus Plan - Determining how much money the company saved? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
D Increased positional tol. due to departure from MMC (Bonus)and calculation of Ppk/Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
T Simulate Tolerance Range with Real Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
WEAVER Can you determine exact date an instrument went out of tolerance? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
I Profile tolerance with a positional tolerance to a hole ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A % STUDY VARIATION VS. % TOLERANCE Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 31
A +0/-.001 Tolerance question - Feature size is 1.249 +0/-.001 - Actually measures 1.2493 (.0003 OHL Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
L Validation without Tolerance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Q Acceptable Tolerance - how to derive? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 16
D Tolerance symbol Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Calibration tolerance question using Pipettes Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G 0.00005" tolerance on micrometer with 0.0005" resolution? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Tolerance limits for micro balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Tolerance when verifying an analytical balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Excel OOT (Out of Tolerance) Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
N Tolerance Interval plots in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Question about a basic additive variance/tolerance example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4