GD&T Drawing Question - I have a drawing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever

I have a drawing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever. There is an A datum, "bottom" surface, as you would expect. There is a rectangular slot that is shown as Basic, while the OD of the part has a positional callout back to datum A (only). Then there is a four-bolt hole pattern, but each hole has a positional callout to both datums A and B. Oh, and the B datum is identified as this Feature Control Block. The diameter of the bolt hole pattern is a reference dimension.

Please, please either explain this to me, or tell me I'm not crazy and this doesn't make sense. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I second that. The location callout associated with datum B calls out Datum B, creating a circular reference. For the slot, double check the notes and title block for a general callout. At a past job, the general callout was in a separate document that was called out in the print notes.

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am thinking the datum B call-out refers to the pattern of 4 holes, whereas the featured control frame below 4 x 3.25 diam dimension refers to the location of the four individual holes, referencing datum B. That would resolve the circular reference contradiction which others point out. I don't recall whether Y14.5M 2009 allows this combination of symbols.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I agree that there's a circular reference with regard to datum -B- and there appears to be no control over the diameter of the bolt circle. While we can guess about what was intended, the whole idea of standardized dimensioning is to eliminate the need for guessing,

Thank you all, for your feedback. I was afraid I was overthinking this. I will get with the customer about this. Again, thank you.

Now. I have a similar drawing, that almost makes sense to me. You can use the same basic structure as the attached drawing, but without the slot. This one has the bolt hole circle as a basic dimension, but now the bolt holes are the B datum. Again, does this make sense? Thanks again, in advance.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Drawing Interpretation Question - What some of these drawing symbols mean APQP and PPAP 6
J Drawing Revision History Question... Signature on EO or ECO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
2 GDT of datums - Putting Datum C on a drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D Partial FAI - AS9102 - One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V Manufacturing without a Formal Drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Location Interpretation on Drawing - Hole to Hole? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Drawing Callout - Arrow pointing to an inner edge where there is a radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Dimension marked with "frame" on 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Measurement of a Radius on Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Accounting for Drawing Notes in PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L How to document use of wrong engineering drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
K Tolerances on Drawing Title Block Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Help with a Metric Drawing Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How to interprete .600/.625 depth in the drawing callout ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Superiority of Drawing vs First Samples Customer Complaints 9
Q AS9102 Handwritten Revisions on Ballooned Drawing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
alonFAI Mechanical Drawing Version Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
T AS9102 FAIR - Customer Drawing Revision Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D ISO 8062-3 Angle Tolerances - The drawing states ISO 8062-3 DCTG 11 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R FAI Prototype Drawing Revision Levels AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Drawing Revision Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Surface Profile of a Hole - The meaning of the tolerance in the provided drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Drawing a Normal Plot of the Effects for Multilevel Factorial Design Using Minitab Software 3
J Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
T How to preventing the drawing revision not being up to date Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
J Drawing Callout: "Holes must be in line" No Tolerance specified Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
G Geometric Tolerance - Swedish Drawing which states that all tolerances are to NS 1430 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Determining Working Voltage - Drawing a Medical Device Insulation Diagram IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5