GearBox Test Bench Calibration

robersb

The Quality Kid
Hi there!

I have been put in charge of a project regarding the calibration process improvement of a Test Bench installation for GearBoxes we have in our plant. This installation has different kinds of measuring devices such as (Acelerometers, Temperature Sensors, Microphones, Pressure transducers, Acquisition Boards...)

Currently, the calibration is done individually on each of the devices in our lab or externally. So for example for the pressure transducers we take the devices to our lab, and we use a pressure calibrator with an integrated multimeter to calibrate it).

Now, the company is seeking to do the calibration of the devices on the installation, so for the pressure transducers instead of taking the measures through a multimeter, the measured value is obtained through the PC where the operator checks the values on serial production. I am not sure if this method is acceptable as there are many uncertainty inputs which I think we are not considering (the cable from the transducer to the acquisition board, the acquisition board, the software which transforms the value in mA to bar...). Is there some kind of norm / standard related to this, if I am honest I am completely lost...

Also, the company also wants to create a unique calibration certificate for the whole installation if the previous step is feasible, but I do not know neither if this can be achieved... also, I am afraid that in this scenario any change/repairmen on any of the devices will mean to re-calibrate the whole installation.

Any kind of help/guidance will be highly appreciate it!

Kind regards / Saludos.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
This really isn't that unusual. In fact, I feel it is a better approach, as you are validating the entire system instead of individual pieces and then assuming that they work together perfectly.
We do that here with chambers, measuring multiple temperature and pressure transducers along with gas flow. The tricky part is determining a way to stimulate the transducers on your test bench without disassembling it all.
Calibrating the system will require setting up specifications. The easiest and most conservative method is to just algebraically sum the tolerances of each component (transducer, acquisition board, signal processing, etc.) and use that as a system specification. Some prefer to use an RSS combination to get tighter tolerances, that's not my favorite method.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Gearbox breakdown analysis method Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
bobdoering "Flappy Paddle Gearbox" - Is "flappy paddle gearbox" a comedic term? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 18
S AMS 2769 - weekly frequency test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S How to determine sample size to test when the acceptance criteria is x >= Standard value? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Kevin Walters AS9100 and AS9120 AATT Course and Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Conducting an MSA Test on scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Lot Release Test and Certificate of Analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
John Broomfield Construction Inspection and Test Plan Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Z COVID-19 Antigen Test Kit (Self-test) Registration in Peru Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N 60601-2-34 Electrosurgery interference Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
F Self-test minimum requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
H Regarding the validity of EMC & Safety test reports without NABL & ILAC-MRA mark. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z Implement methods of Round Robin test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D 62304 code review, unit test, integration test example IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
D DOD First Article Test Plan & Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Stoic Details of Operational Qualification (OQ) test design for plastic extrusion processes, effect of material property noise, and GHTF/SG3/N99-10 US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Earth (ground) leakage current routine test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G Audit & Agreements for "Test Laboratory" Supplier? US Medical Device Regulations 4
G Developing our custom test methods and test equipment US Medical Device Regulations 5
K Looking for a tape to perform cross hatch test on powder coating parts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
G Change Control for Test Samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
MaHoDie Summative Usability test Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
A Calibration of spring loaded test fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Pressure vessels hydraulic test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
C Spinal implant predicate device test results 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Statistical Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Ed Panek Looking for Test Resource General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Microbiological test (USP61, USP62, USP71, ISO 11137.1, ISO11137.2) --- Testing flow chart Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
S Discussion on OBL and OEM test data for submission as per new EUMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
C DV/PV Test Part Storage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Vader22 5 Why RCA for failure to test Contingency Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Knee-Patella wear test CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L PFMEA for test procedures (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A Direct vs. Post-License Investigational Test Authorization (ITA) Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
P Test Method Validation (TMV) for all Measurement Methods in Rec/Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E How to test 8.7.4.7 d) ? What "not protectively earthed accessible part" means? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
T ANOVA analysis to find F test. Using Minitab Software 3
P API Q1 - Monogram Product & API 4F - Proof Load Test Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
D Test Management Software Software Quality Assurance 1
B How to test operator to see if they can catch the defective parts? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G 60601-1 8.8.3. short circuit of both side during insulation test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Bacterial Endotoxin test for Purified water Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
shimonv Test Method Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C Test compulsory for Sutures? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
dgrainger Informational DRAFT: The Medical Devices (Coronavirus Test Device Approvals) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 1
K Identification test in ph.eur. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1