General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers?

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right forum but I was informed by a Supply Power Alert and various news articles that General Motors and Honda have signed an alliance to explore vehicle platform sharing possibilities AND they are exploring joint purchasing activities.

What do you think this means to suppliers? To Quality Systems? To PPAPs?
We currently supply to the big 3 (Ford, Chrysler and GM) so we are certified IATF 16949. What system does Honda use, I'm guessing it is not IATF...

GM and Honda agree to partner up to save costs in North America

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
What do you think this means to suppliers? To Quality Systems? To PPAPs?
We currently supply to the big 3 (Ford, Chrysler and GM) so we are certified IATF 16949. What system does Honda use, I'm guessing it is not IATF...
Collaborative efforts between auto OEM's is nothing new. As a supplier to GM, you will be expected to follow all of their requirements.

Honda, Toyota, and many other OEM's do not ascribe to the IATF quality requirements.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
First of all, everything depends on arrangements between GM and Honda.
During quotation stage for this project, you will get all information for sure.

Then we can speculate.
In case of carry over parts, maybe no changes at all or at least OEM2 process/system audit of current OEM1 supplier and opposite.
In case of newly developed parts, it can be as usual or OEM1 will control current OEM2 supplier and opposite.

I was working for company, where two OEMs joined to introduce a new car.
Both sides brought own suppliers.
OEMs agreed, that introduction of new parts of OEM1 current suppliers would be controlled by OEM2 and opposite.
As company was not ISO/TS 16949 certified, so part of preparation for this project was certification.

Honda has own supplier manual and it has to be treated as CSR, even Honda has not subscribed to IATF.
Not big deal comparing to certification.

Top Bottom