German university degree Magister

B

BarnabaGenovese

Hello vj people!

My US fianc? and I have a k1 petition running. We are not at NOA2 stage yet, only three months into the waiting peiod, but I am starting to prepare for everything that I might need when I move to the States. One of the things that I wonder about is my German university degree. I have studied English and media / communications and after having written a thesis and passed all the exams, have received a Magister Artium degree. I have tried the forum search, but I only found old topics, so I started a new thread. Everywhere I am reading that people had their university degrees evaluated. My question is where can you do that and is it needed anyway? Would a certified / notarized translation of my degree suffice for the US? Do universities do that for you? Also, I wonder what kind of status my German degree puts me into. We do have the bachelor / master system in Germany now, but my degree went according to the old system of Magister Artium / Diplom, both with an intermediate exam that I would somehow equal to a bachelor. I understand that my degree would be something like a bachelor with thesis or a master, but I am not even sure of that ... And I am not sure if I will need it, cause I have been working for 7 years now, and maybe my work experience would be more valuable than my degree, but you never know.

Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
It all depends on the occupation you intend to work at.

If you intend to teach, the individual university or school system would have a specific protocol for evaluating whether your degree would provide sufficient credentials.

For almost every other career path in the USA, if the job requirement includes "college degree" yours would suffice, except in cases where certain firms are seeking people with Masters of Business Administration degrees from accredited American Universities, although I am aware some of those consider a degree from the London School of Economics equal to most and superior to many US institutions.

Most job opportunities would probably weigh most heavily on your experience and the ultimate criterion:
What value can you offer the organization?
and, secondarily:
Will your personality fit in with the people with whom you will work?

Just curious - What was the title/subject of your thesis?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
:topic:
I hadn't realized the waiting period for the [approval letter] 2nd Notice of Action (NOA2) was so long, plus at least another month of administrative folderol AFTER the NOA2 before you finally have the visa in hand.

It makes me wonder if there is a way around such a long wait. I wonder if a prospective spouse could have come to the USA on a tourist visa, gotten married in a "whirlwind romance" and then wanted to remain - would US rules allow remaining in the US while permanent residency visa was arranged?

Is the time table equally onerous for a foreign spouse (and any children?) married to a US citizen for filing K2 and K3 petitions before receiving NOA2?

M

Murphys Law

The one thing about the focus on the degree is normally if you are coming in under an employment visa, and the company has to prove the degree is equivalent to US but with the help of an immigration lawyer.

With a K1, you are not being employer sponsored but I don't know what it means about your eligibility to work either prior to getting married. I don't think you'd be eligable since it is a 'marriage' visa. Once you are married and then get permanent residency, you can work.

As for decoding a non-technical qualification, I don't think a quality discussion board can guide you here. Maybe a German Expat site would be better- Alles Klar?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
W Informational VDI 2017 - Medical Grade Plastics - German VDI has published a "Richtlinie" Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Informational EU – Medical devices: Implementation of Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices (MDR) – Information from the Irish and German delegations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Company Safety Officer required for a German subsidiary of a Medical Device Organization? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Where to find 21 CFR Part 820 Translated into Czech, Spanish, and German 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A German MTK (MPBetreibV ? 11) Blood Pressure Meter Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
Ajit Basrur What is the German term for "Advisory Notices" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R German Customer with a Dimension format I have not seen before Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C German legal documents in English. EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B German STK (?6 MPBetreibV) Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P German Safety Officer for Medical Devices for a UK based Company? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
L German Law (Health Safety and Environment) in German and/or English Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
Stijloor German automakers' expansion plans hit by shortage of engineers World News 2
S Where to File Complaints about a German Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Threads for Knurls referenced on drawing - German standard DIN 82 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
L What is the/a Number of the German Export List or Negative Statement Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
automoto What are the VDA 5 requirements? Can't read German VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
H Seeking DB AG (Deutsche Bahn (German Railway)) Q1 Q2 & Q3 requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Q European Translation Requirements - English to German - Medical Device User Manuals EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Casana Customer Changing requirements - PFMEA required in English not German APQP and PPAP 6
Marc German Engineers Fail the Paternity Test World News 4
S German drawing of cylindrical gear - Glossary - What does "a" or "Aae/Aai" mean? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Layout Inspection - Sound systems to a German car manufacturer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V Instructions for Use - English into French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Q VDE Audit Experiences - German VDE factory certification audit General Auditing Discussions 5
B Where to find 21 CFR 820 translated into German 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B USCAR (US Standart) vs. AK (German Standart) - Differences? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Marc German Scientist Reports Successful Tests Of ?Anti-Stupidity? Pill... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
G Combined ISO 9001 - TS 16949 Audit check list in German - Translation Needed! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Atul Khandekar Source for MSA 3ed. Info in German Language Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Marc German Parliament Considers Linux Switch After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Z English or German language of QS9000 books? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
Marc Goldsmiths University will take beef products off the menu starting in September 2019 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 19
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
R ISO 9001 Certification - School/University Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Has Anyone Heard of Quality University (Online Courses) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S RAC (Regulatory Affairs Certification) from RAPS vs. a University Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Marc Green Building: A Real Estate Revolution? University Of Michigan Banks On LEED Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
G Arizona State University BB Certification course: Seeking opinion on value for cost Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
C MS in Regulatory Affairs from NEU (Northeastern University) online Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
T ISO 9000 / Lean Six Sigma Survey - University Study - Seeking Respondents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Bachelors Degree in Quality Assurance Science from California National University Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
tsmith7858 Food Safety Training Tool by Purdue University and Virginia Tech Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
P Process Audit Instruction paper for teaching university students General Auditing Discussions 2
ryanrusk College/University Training and Consulting Services Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Z Injection Molding cycle time benchmarking - Ball State University student Benchmarking 10
R ISO 9001 Procedures for a University Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2