Get 2 soda cans and a tape measure

C

Cordon - 2007

Put one can on the floor standing up and the other can lying on its side on a desk, counter top or whatever and measure the distance from the highest point of each can. Now reverse; lay the one on the floor on its side and stand other one up and measure.

Do you get the same measurement?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
gee, i don't have two pop cans (I don't even have one :eek: ) but it sounds to me like you should not expect the same measurement? the measurement with the pop can standing on the desk and the other laying on the floor should be more than the one where the pop can lays on the desk and stands on the floor. Is this a test that I just failed?

C

Cordon - 2007

gee, i don't have two pop cans (I don't even have one :eek: ) but it sounds to me like you should not expect the same measurement? the measurement with the pop can standing on the desk and the other laying on the floor should be more than the one where the pop can lays on the desk and stands on the floor. Is this a test that I just failed?
Is all your doing is reversing the soda cans though. ;)

Nice question.
Initial thought, should be the same. After a moment or two, they will be different. I won't spoil the fun yet, but I worked the answer out with old fashioned pencil, paper and mental arithmetic. (I think!)
Paul

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
That's ok, when I first read it, I thought "whats the catch, it's the same" but then I reread it and took a moment to slap myself. Doh....nuts....mmmm, donuts!

M

Markvero

I don't get it. What is the answer? I'd appreciate knowing how you worked this out. Thanks.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't get it. What is the answer? I'd appreciate knowing how you worked this out. Thanks.
Sometimes, the easiest way to "get it" is to actually perform the task. For the "soda can challenged," the next best thing is to make a sketch of the two cases.

The vertical can on the floor shortens the upward distance to the table top, the can on its side on the table top shortens the downward distance to the table top. Thus the scenario with the horizontal can on the table is shorter distance than vice-versa.

Put one can on the floor standing up and the other can lying on its side on a desk, counter top or whatever and measure the distance from the highest point of each can. Now reverse; lay the one on the floor on its side and stand other one up and measure.

Do you get the same measurement?
I was shown this today and have not been able to know the answer no one not even the person showing me could tell me why the distance is different. Answer please?!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Cpk Calculation - I analyse a double seam cans Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
M Quality issues in a manufacturing plant - High-pressured solvent spray cans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
T Tape Measure, the right device for 2 or 3 decimals accuracy on prints General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Re-validation of EtO sterilization after change of tape Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Tape Measures NOT used for Inspection or Testing Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 12
I Batch Numbering for medical tape EU Medical Device Regulations 1
AnaMariaVR2 DIY Fixes Don't Meet CGMP: FDA Slams Manufacturer for Fixes Involving Tape, Rubber Ba Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Q Sampling Plan for Paper and Tape Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Product numbers & sources for ASTM D3359 adhesive tape Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Japan - Medical Device Classification for Autoclave Tape Japan Medical Device Regulations 6
I Cleaning Validation for Durapore Tape Cutting Machine EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Carton Boxes for Surface Mount Tape and Reel Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Gummed Water Activated Packaging Tape causing Mildew? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P PMMA IRK304 Resin and EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) Tape causes a Stain Mark Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Metal Tape Plating Process - CQI-11 Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Using a Tape Measure for +/- 1/16" Tolerance - Large Welded Assemblies (6 to 12') Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
Q Validating Tape Measures used to Measure Product Conformity to Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P Exempt from Calibrating our Tape Measures and Micrometers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
Q PPAP for Materials - Rolls of adhesive tape, rolls of films and sponge material APQP and PPAP 5
D For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification - Tape Measures for cutting bar stock ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
P Tape Measures (again) Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N Sufficient measurement of length - 4:1 TUR - Basic 25ft tape measures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Z Industrial Standard on Accelerated Ageing test for plastic carrier tape Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
J Tape Measure Verification - Starrett 72" certified steel rule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
B Steel Measuring Tape - Can a Steel Measuring Tape be excluded from calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
J Pressure Sensitive & Gummed Tape IMDS Reporting RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
Scott Catron Tape-less digital video camera buying advice After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
T Calibrating or Verifying Metal or Steel Tape Measures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 187
A Tight Control Limits - Tape & Reel Process, the process of packaging ICs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 27
J Measuring Tape Repeatability and Accuracy - Types of tapes - ECIII, ECII and ECI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Generic Accuracy of a 100 foot Tape Rule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
P Need Tape Spec for MSCH 62 Full Tape Wrap & MSDC 13-B Spot Tape Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J Verbage to cover tape measures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Gage R&R on one tape measure to represent all identical tapes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Icy Mountain Reasonable calibration? 50 foot measuring tape and other basic M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
D Gage R&R required on 6" rules, tape rules, verniers or micrometers? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Gage R&R for measuring tape for some wire length inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
L Tape Measures & Scales - Part Tolerance - Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 24
H Five Foot Caliper vs. Tape Measure - Tolerance issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Calibration of Tape Measures used for reference General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
G Steel Tape Rules - Does the length of the leads have a significant impact? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
L Tape Measure Calibration - I asked if I had to do nominals, was told no! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D Calibration of Tape Measures used on our production floor - What are 'Best Practices' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 42