Get 2 soda cans and a tape measure

C

Cordon - 2007

Put one can on the floor standing up and the other can lying on its side on a desk, counter top or whatever and measure the distance from the highest point of each can. Now reverse; lay the one on the floor on its side and stand other one up and measure.

Do you get the same measurement?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
gee, i don't have two pop cans (I don't even have one :eek: ) but it sounds to me like you should not expect the same measurement? the measurement with the pop can standing on the desk and the other laying on the floor should be more than the one where the pop can lays on the desk and stands on the floor. Is this a test that I just failed?

C

Cordon - 2007

gee, i don't have two pop cans (I don't even have one :eek: ) but it sounds to me like you should not expect the same measurement? the measurement with the pop can standing on the desk and the other laying on the floor should be more than the one where the pop can lays on the desk and stands on the floor. Is this a test that I just failed?

Is all your doing is reversing the soda cans though. ;)

sonflowerinwales

In the country
Nice question.
Initial thought, should be the same. After a moment or two, they will be different. I won't spoil the fun yet, but I worked the answer out with old fashioned pencil, paper and mental arithmetic. (I think!)
Paul

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
That's ok, when I first read it, I thought "whats the catch, it's the same" but then I reread it and took a moment to slap myself. Doh....nuts....mmmm, donuts!

M

Markvero

I don't get it. What is the answer? I'd appreciate knowing how you worked this out. Thanks.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I don't get it. What is the answer? I'd appreciate knowing how you worked this out. Thanks.
Sometimes, the easiest way to "get it" is to actually perform the task. For the "soda can challenged," the next best thing is to make a sketch of the two cases.

The vertical can on the floor shortens the upward distance to the table top, the can on its side on the table top shortens the downward distance to the table top. Thus the scenario with the horizontal can on the table is shorter distance than vice-versa.

C

Cheybe

Put one can on the floor standing up and the other can lying on its side on a desk, counter top or whatever and measure the distance from the highest point of each can. Now reverse; lay the one on the floor on its side and stand other one up and measure.

Do you get the same measurement?
I was shown this today and have not been able to know the answer no one not even the person showing me could tell me why the distance is different. Answer please?!

Top Bottom