Getting Our Company President to Understand His Role

V

VICAHUNT

Getting the President to understand his role

Does anyone know of a good trainer for President's who don't understand what their role and responsibilities are in the ISO 9001:2000 standard. The President of the company I work for does not quite understand his role in the ISO system;
He wears too many hats (the president, the molding manager, he actually spends time processing machines (sometimes), scheduling, etc.); No matter how many times I send him information on Management Responsibility and explain to him how the Quality Policy, Objectives, QMS Planning, Mgmt. Review, etc. works and how it relates to him...it never seems to be understood.

Still smiling :eek:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Seems to me he really does understand, viscerally, that top management has to be involved in every aspect of the business, especially those parts that relate to planning processes and evaluating whether they work.

It also seems to me you can help this president best by saying, "You already do get involved in most aspects of our company. Let's take some time to track all the things you do and set them down in a written form so we can evaluate them from time to time on a systematic basis to see how we can help you [the president] become as efficient as possible so we'll all prosper."

Think of it this way:
1) who sets the policy?
2) who is ultimately responsible for the policy?
3) who conducts management review of a process by actually getting his hands dirty and running a process to evaluate how it works?

The only thing I gather he's not doing is keeping a record of what he does and what his decisions are. Good place for you and others to start by making, organizing, and maintaining those records for him.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Small companies are interesting. How many people in your company? I believe JKRH might have some isdeas as well. He signs in now and again. His boss is in the same mode. Owns the company and does a little bit of everything.

V

VICAHUNT

Thank you for your replies. Marc - We have approx 140 employees.

Wes - The President is not the kind of person you would suggest anything to, especially suggesting that we document his activities to help him become more efficient. I gave those examples above to show how he spends his time outside of the Presidents office doing other work that should be delegated.

I am seriously still enquiring about a training course for Management if anyone knows of one.

D

David Hartman

VICAHUNT said:

Wes - The President is not the kind of person you would suggest anything to, especially suggesting that we document his activities to help him become more efficient. I gave those examples above to show how he spends his time outside of the Presidents office doing other work that should be delegated.

I am seriously still enquiring about a training course for Management if anyone knows of one.

Just as a suggestion, have you considered the e-Learning course titled Introducing ISO 9001:2000 offered by ASQ. [Just follow the link, then select e-Learning Offerings . You'll then find the course listed under: Standards.]

http://www.asq.org/portal/page?_pag...dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&in_url=/ed/courses/

S

SuRiVs

VICAHUNT said:

Just a quick suggestion, maybe a course on strategic management could do the task. I do have several documents and .ppt about the importance of strategies but they are all in spanish.

Good luck

Martin

D

db

Sometimes just getting a consultant to sit down for a half day might do it. I've seen cases where I would say something to the President that the MR had been saying for months. Somehow when I say it, its like he had never heard it before. Drives the MR crazy (so I prepare them in advance).

Part of this is the reverse of the "not invented here syndrome". I call it the "assumed incompetence" factor. Presidents do not feel their internal resources are competent on the subject. They will accept an outsiders opinion, even if that outsider is not as knowledgable as the internal.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
VICAHUNT said:
The President is not the kind of person you would suggest anything to, especially suggesting that we document his activities to help him become more efficient...

...I am seriously still enquiring about a training course for Management if anyone knows of one.

In my experience with owners like you describe (I've worked in two 20-50 employee prototype shops) you're not likely to get him to go to a training course either.

db - how true!

C

Craig H.

VICAHUNT said:

If you are looking for a consultant, there are several here, including Marc.

As far as classes go, Ga Tech, in Atlanta, has a continuing education section that specializes in those type of ISO classes. I have taken the 9000 transition class and overview class from them and was quite impressed. Is Atlanta fairly close to you?

Craig

A

Aaron Lupo

VICAHUNT said:
Does anyone know of a good trainer for President's who don't understand what their role and responsibilities are in the ISO 9001:2000 standard. The President of the company I work for does not quite understand his role in the ISO system;
He wears too many hats (the president, the molding manager, he actually spends time processing machines (sometimes), scheduling, etc.); No matter how many times I send him information on Management Responsibility and explain to him how the Quality Policy, Objectives, QMS Planning, Mgmt. Review, etc. works and how it relates to him...it never seems to be understood.

Still smiling :eek:

Vic-

What is it exactly that he does not understand??

Top Bottom