Getting started in ISO 13485

Manto

Starting to get Involved
Hello all I just took a job that turned out to be to get the company certified for ISO 13485. When I was hired it was to see about being compliant to the standard. The company only makes one device Class II. but all they have is a quality manual ( that i just reviewed and corrected) and no written procedures. I feel overwhelmed. Can some one tell me where to start. They want work instructions done first but they don't even have any procedures written to back up the quality manual. They have an antiquated systems so I am having trouble just to get drawings for the part. I will have to go to multiple people to see if they have anything (tribal knowledge) so I can start writing procedures. Is there a good webiner I can see and maybe a good site to find examples of other company procedures I can built on as my own. any advice will be greatly accepted. Leaving for the night but will check this in the morning thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
What is your level of background/experience with 9001 or 13485, and with building a QMS from scratch?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Agree with what I believe @Tagin is implying: if you have no experience, you're in for a lot of headaches and heartaches.

Do you have a copy of the standard?

A lot of companies offer a "QMS in a box" service. While tempting, recognize those are generally one-size-fits-all and you frequently bend to their will rather than developing a system that aligns with your company. On the other side, you can get infinitely adaptable software-based systems and they're great but you need to know how to configure to, again, make them work for you.

You'll probably want to start by learning what the current processes are. Using that, you can see where the gaps are against the standard.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Manto,

Understand what your company already does to fulfill its mission (purpose). Study its workings as a system.

Work with top management to determine the processes essential to convert customer needs into cash in the bank (the value stream). What are the opportunities and risks? Then determine with TM the processes that are essential to support (recruiting, training, purchasing for example) and verify the effectiveness of this value stream. Having done this you can agree with them the names of the employees who know most about each process; these are the process owners.

Inform everyone what is going on and why. Do not give certification as the reason, you can come up with much more noble reasons than that!

Do this with a thorough understanding of the standards (ISO 13485 and ISO 14971). Work with each of the process owners to capture what is done to fulfill the process objectives. Focus on what is actually done to prevent problems in the process. A SIPOC model and then a deployment flowchart is probably the best way of capturing this information. Ask the process owner to make sure it is accurate by obtaining review comments from process team members. Then reconcile every comment to result in an accurate documented (flowcharted with links to forms and more detailed instructions) procedure.

Search the Cove for more info on developing your process-based management system.

If you are not already trained as a lead system auditor then get yourself on class to understand business, leadership, systems, risk management, how to listen and observe well to elicit facts about the system and its processes. With any luck this training will include a lecture and workshop on developing process-based management systems too.

Keep in touch with your progress and questions.

Good luck,

John

Manto

Starting to get Involved
What is your level of background/experience with 9001 or 13485, and with building a QMS from scratch?
I have been in Quality for 30 years and have maintained ISO 9001 for about 8 yrs at two different companies. (Semiconductor and Metal Fabrication)
I had slight exposure to 13485 but that was 15-20 years ago. I have the ISO 13485 document and will also get the ISO 14971 and ISO 14929. I do have an understanding of what I have to do. I am also a lead Auditor so this is also helpful. I appreciate that this kind of networking is available as it help me to gain knowledge and confidence in what I need to do
thank you all I will follow up with updates in the coming weeks.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I have been in Quality for 30 years and have maintained ISO 9001 for about 8 yrs at two different companies. (Semiconductor and Metal Fabrication)
I had slight exposure to 13485 but that was 15-20 years ago. I have the ISO 13485 document and will also get the ISO 14971 and ISO 14929. I do have an understanding of what I have to do. I am also a lead Auditor so this is also helpful. I appreciate that this kind of networking is available as it help me to gain knowledge and confidence in what I need to do
thank you all I will follow up with updates in the coming weeks.
That's good. I agree with @John Broomfield that a top-down approach is best. Although they may think they want work instructions first, those work instructions depend on document structures, document organization, and document controls being defined first. But those will refer to who has authoirty and responsibility, so an org chart for the QMS needs to be defined first, Also, the document numbering or labeling will likely depend on the process it applies to, so defining all processes has to come first. Etc. You need to use your expertise to make them understand that the foundation must be exist and be solid before the house can be built upon it.

twanmul

Involved In Discussions
I used the attached document map when I was trying to first get my head around the absolute minimum procedural requirements for ISO13485. Hopefully this gives you a starting point.
As the others have said, there is maybe a more holistic piece of work, starting with the quality policy and the objectives defining what the goals are RE certification. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER - This isn't perfect and I wouldn't say this is a definitive article, just a starter for you.

Attachments

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Manto,

You've analyzed the standard and this helps with understanding its requirements.

But you still need to analyze the way your organization works as a system as I have described above. Then you end up with a high degree of ownership and respect for the management system documented just enough to be effective.

Back in the 1980's many implementors would make a list of work instructions then write them and then impose them on their colleagues. Many consultants had these docs ready made for "find replace" adjustments on their laptops.

...and then we wondered why top management didn't support the so-called ISO system which may even have secured certification.

John

Manto

Starting to get Involved
Manto,

You've analyzed the standard and this helps with understanding its requirements.

But you still need to analyze the way your organization works as a system as I have described above. Then you end up with a high degree of ownership and respect for the management system documented just enough to be effective.

Back in the 1980's many implementors would make a list of work instructions then write them and then impose them on their colleagues. Many consultants had these docs ready made for "find replace" adjustments on their laptops.

...and then we wondered why top management didn't support the so-called ISO system which may even have secured certification.

John
Yes John I agree with your post. As I have only been here a few days, I will be looking at how they do things I will be meeting with the department heads so we can all be on the same page..

levatorsuperioris

Involved In Discussions
I hope your company is small. If its a a medium enterprise with processes already in place it will be very difficult to get compliant without previous experience. In my experience the smaller the firm the easier it is to implement.

I have seen a company (20-50 person firm) take two years two finally get 13485 certified with help from a QS Manager who recently retired from a large Medical Device firm. This firm only manufactured springs to be used in Medical devices for higher risk classification.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N ISO 9001 - Getting started and would love some guidance and direction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Getting started with ISO 9001:2000 Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Getting started with ISO 9001 - Cost? Implementation time? What is the process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
O Getting Started in ISO 9001 - Small steel brokerage company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
H Getting Things Started ? QM, Tactics, Strategy, Acceptance vs. Gridlock, Enthusiasm Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Getting started with English! Career and Occupation Discussions 17
J Building the QMS (Quality Management System): Getting Started Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
S Recruitment Industry Service Delivery Standard (RCSA-SDS) - getting started Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
F Getting started in ISO14001 certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
Hershal Getting started..... General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Getting started (beyond the standard) and getting up to speed with AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9100 Getting Started - What time frame /cost / major obstacles can we expect AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Getting started with statistically based process improvement The Reading Room 12
C Getting started with EMS - Sharing knowledge and experience Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D Getting Started - ISO13485:2003 and MDD (Medical Device Directive) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J EU MDR getting closer - Special offer for Elsmar members 10/2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 39
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
L Getting Notice of Revision and Accessing Public Draft Copies of ISO Standards Service Industry Specific Topics 2
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Miner Getting logged off repeatedly Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 13
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
Z I need help with getting a CFS in China Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Getting into biotech QA from aerospace - Is it practical? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
S Business development and support - Getting business general liability insurance Career and Occupation Discussions 5
S ISO 17025 - Help in Getting accreditation- Where to start from ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
N Getting Married - How Will It Affect My Taxes? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
P Getting ready for Boeing's AC7130 requirement for suppliers using a CMM AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Ninja Getting eaten by Big Business - My company was bought by a huge multinational Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 54
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Is getting a UDI Consultant a good idea? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
F Getting the audit procedure in my head (learning it) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Ajit Basrur Congratulations Steve Prevette on getting a Silver Star Covegratulations 11
Ronen E Congratulations Somashekar for getting the Silver Star Covegratulations 9
L PPAP Approval Woes - Getting signed PSW's back from Customers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
Marc 50 Is the New 65: Older Americans Are Getting Booted from Their Jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 30
Rameshwar25 Getting values of k1, k2 and k3 for n=30, r=3 and k=3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Implementing ISO 9001 - Getting whole team buy-in? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
AnaMariaVR2 Getting Importers? Pulse About Food Safety Plans Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M Getting your foot in the door? Entry level QA Career and Occupation Discussions 4
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Z Getting Charged for AS9104/1 Additional Audit Time General Auditing Discussions 6
Z Getting around GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) with FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Getting Actionable Data from Returns Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J ISO13485 File-Index getting too large Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Putting Quality Management Together - Getting People to see Quality as a System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
Randy Getting Red X 's in a box instead of pictures - I need some information.... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10