Getting started with ISO 9001:2000 Templates

K

knlisle

I was recently assigned the task of getting our small company ISO 9001:2000 certified. I have reviewed the Standards and understand the process, however, it appears rather daunting. Has anyone used the templates that are available online? the9000store seems to have some pretty good resources... Any feedback from previous users? Also, any guidance on where to get started, how best to proceed, etc would be much appreciated.
All the best :)kn

T

Ted Schmitt

Welcome to the Cove !! :bigwave:

There are similar topics in the threads at the bottom of this page.... take a look and you´ll find lot´s of useful info.

T

Ted Schmitt

My personal opinion on using "templates" is that it will not always reflect the particular culture of your organization.

If you choose that path (and I won´t fully condone it since your organization is just starting), try checking out the free files we have here.... at the top left of the page, there is a green button POST ATTACHMENTS LIST and right next to it there is another one MORE FREE FILES.

Do you have any formal training regarding the standard? Is management FULLy commited on this project? Their commitment is step #1 in my view...

Others will surely post and give you some insight, but do check the other related threads as I mentioned in my previous post...

Good luck !!

K

knlisle

Thanks for your reply. I have been checking out the threads you mentioned... the amount if info is overwhelming... I think I've been reading/searching for the last 5 hours.

To answer your questions:
no, I do not have formal training in the standards and
yes, management is fully committed to achieving this goal

The company is very small, 6 of us total, and has no formal procedures/processes in place... thus my assignment. I liked the template as it avoids certain aspects of reinventing the wheel... yet I understand the importance of making it specific to our company.

Does one typically begin with the standards "4 QMS" and start with 4.1.a? thus identifying the process needed for the QMS...

I will refer to the ATTAHMENT LIST & FREE FILES you mentioned.

Thanks again, kn

T

Ted Schmitt

To answer your questions:
no, I do not have formal training in the standards

OK, I would suggest you do an internal auditor course which will / should include a Interpretation of the Standard.
and
yes, management is fully committed to achieving this goal

Excellent start ! If they are behind it, it will happen !

In the attachment list, search for process mapping... I would suggest you start identifying your processes first :

Supplier (internal or external) of the process
Resources needed to fulfull the process
How the process is done (stated in your procedures and work instructions)
Performance indicators telling you if you are doing it correctly and efficiently
Client of this process (internal or external)

Worry about writing your procedures after you identify and map your processes.

Check out my sample process map form on this thread http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7681&page=3

By the way, what is your product?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome to the Cove - yes, it can be a bit daunting at first but it really isn't that complicated to develop a system for a small company.

I agree entirely with Ted when he asks about having training. Get along to an introductory course on ISO 9001 - just a 1 day would do for starters and it will help to explain a lot more than you can gain from just reading.

Then, as you point out, look at what 4.1a, b & c say. Identify your processes e.g. sales, purchasing etc. Then look how they fit together e.g. design followed by sales followed by planning etc (obviously you use your own company processes) and then decide how you will control each of them.

You may decide to document procedures in text format or have flowcharts or process maps etc or you may decide that the competence of the person doing the job provides the control. Decide what suits your business best as you will have to work with this. Whatever you do, don't develop a system to meet the standard, do it to suit your business and then cross check with the standard.

There are a number of people here who will remind you that you need a quality policy, which is true, and that too needs establishing early but personally, I would try to document the main business processes first.

Later, you will need to add some more procedures such as controlling documents and records, but they can come later.

I hope this helps but please ask around for more information as you need it.

K

knlisle

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your insight. Any suggestions on training companies; there are so many, but I imagine some are more effective than others...
all the best :)kn

K

knlisle

ted,
thanks again. i appreciate the info and your process map. also need to mention i love your quote.... i just can't wait until i actually understand what it is that i'm doing!! lol! :)kn

T

Ted Schmitt

ted,
thanks again. i appreciate the info and your process map. also need to mention i love your quote.... i just can't wait until i actually understand what it is that i'm doing!! lol! :)kn

You are very welcome ! Don´t worry, I still don´t know what I am doing :bonk::lmao:

keep the questions coming....

P

Peter West

You sound just like me 4 months ago. I came into a large company with no ISO experience and was lumped with job of getting 9001 and 14001 up to speed.

I read through a few books and have read the Standard about 50 times so far. Keep in mind, all you need is in that Standard.

Ted hit the nail on the head when talking about using templates. There is a lot you will have to do but always keep in mind it is just for your company. Where one company uses a $million piece of software, you may find Excel does all you need (as i found out quite happily). Templates can be a bit misleading as they made me believe I needed certain information which, upon reflection, was incorrect.

It is also very easy to "switch off" when you have a list of documents in front of you. You may end up just copying them in their entireity and not actually developing anything your company can use (once again from experience - writing EMS manual for 14001, just finished re-editing it as it was based on books and other companies' EMSs).

Training is a big help, but i still have not undergone any proper training although I am working under someone with 9001 who seems to have the right knowledge. If there is someone who oversees you you may get by, but nothing really beats training.

Every part of the Standard is catered for by the great minds here, and they are always happy to help. I find myself on here every day now just reading through their responses (learning all the way).

Good luck and use the Cove as much as possible.

Top Bottom