Getting the proper information from the supplier - Returning Nonconforming Material

Bunny

Quite Involved in Discussions
What forms do you send to the supplier when returning nonconforming material?
We are a medical device manufacturer and A/V integrator. Often we have to return components or A/V equipment for repair or replacement. I am dealing with two issues:
1) Sometimes, failure reports or corrective actions are required. What is the best metod to notify the supplier and retrieve the report?
2) Internally we use multiple form and tracking numbers (RMAs, NC report numbers, service call ticket numbers, repair tag numbers and so on). The identification forms are dependent upon the component type, department, and where in the process it failed. Sometimes, we will receive the repaired material back and none of our identification numbers will be on any of the suppliers documentation.

I am contemplating creating a form that will ship with each piece of defective equipment. This form would tell the supplier what type of written response I need back, if any. And remind them to cross reference our document numbers so we can easily match it up on our end.

What do you think? What do you do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

silentrunning

Re: Getting the proper information from the supplier - Returning Nonconforming Materi

Since we buy mostly raw material, this doesn't happen too often for us so I keep it simple. Everything traces back to our shop traveler number. If the travelr was #88888, then a Non-conformance would become #88888-NC-1. This would be the number I would put on my request for a corrective action also. The corrective action then would be filed twice - once with the shop traveler and once with the supplier history report. This is all done in the computer, not on paper.

Doug

J

jw2009

Re: Getting the proper information from the supplier - Returning Nonconforming Materi

What forms do you send to the supplier when returning nonconforming material?
We are a medical device manufacturer and A/V integrator. Often we have to return components or A/V equipment for repair or replacement. I am dealing with two issues:
1) Sometimes, failure reports or corrective actions are required. What is the best metod to notify the supplier and retrieve the report?
2) Internally we use multiple form and tracking numbers (RMAs, NC report numbers, service call ticket numbers, repair tag numbers and so on). The identification forms are dependent upon the component type, department, and where in the process it failed. Sometimes, we will receive the repaired material back and none of our identification numbers will be on any of the suppliers documentation.

I am contemplating creating a form that will ship with each piece of defective equipment. This form would tell the supplier what type of written response I need back, if any. And remind them to cross reference our document numbers so we can easily match it up on our end.

What do you think? What do you do?
I too am not in the medical field. My company develops eco-friendly cleaning products. However, we generate internal nonconformity report numbers and link it to the purchase order number as well as the supplier batch lot number. The information for what needs to be reworked or corrected is done through emails and phone conversations. As a QA Auditor I am looking for that particular batch lot number to return for additional inspection prior to release. Then after the nonconformities have been corrected (and approved) a stock nonconformity report is then sent to the supplier. We also send out quarterly nonconformity reports to our suppliers highlighting the issues observed over the past few months

Bunny

Quite Involved in Discussions

I like the idea of using the stock NC forms and the quarterly nonconformity reports you mentioned. I would love to learn more about them. Can you post samples?

J

jw2009

I like the idea of using the stock NC forms and the quarterly nonconformity reports you mentioned. I would love to learn more about them. Can you post samples?
Attached are a couple of forms we use. The NC Reports#'s file is a running file for whenever there is a NC. Then quarterly (or semi-annually) we send that information out to suppliers outlining any and all of their NC's; with a cover letter also. Hope this helps out some!

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 39
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
L Getting Notice of Revision and Accessing Public Draft Copies of ISO Standards Service Industry Specific Topics 2
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Miner Getting logged off repeatedly Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 13
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
Z I need help with getting a CFS in China Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Getting into biotech QA from aerospace - Is it practical? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
S Business development and support - Getting business general liability insurance Career and Occupation Discussions 5
S ISO 17025 - Help in Getting accreditation- Where to start from ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
N Getting Married - How Will It Affect My Taxes? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
P Getting ready for Boeing's AC7130 requirement for suppliers using a CMM AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Ninja Getting eaten by Big Business - My company was bought by a huge multinational Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 54
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Is getting a UDI Consultant a good idea? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
F Getting the audit procedure in my head (learning it) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Ajit Basrur Congratulations Steve Prevette on getting a Silver Star Covegratulations 11
Ronen E Congratulations Somashekar for getting the Silver Star Covegratulations 9
L PPAP Approval Woes - Getting signed PSW's back from Customers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
Marc 50 Is the New 65: Older Americans Are Getting Booted from Their Jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 30
Rameshwar25 Getting values of k1, k2 and k3 for n=30, r=3 and k=3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Implementing ISO 9001 - Getting whole team buy-in? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
AnaMariaVR2 Getting Importers? Pulse About Food Safety Plans Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M Getting your foot in the door? Entry level QA Career and Occupation Discussions 4
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Z Getting Charged for AS9104/1 Additional Audit Time General Auditing Discussions 6
Z Getting around GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) with FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Getting Actionable Data from Returns Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J ISO13485 File-Index getting too large Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Putting Quality Management Together - Getting People to see Quality as a System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
Randy Getting Red X 's in a box instead of pictures - I need some information.... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
A Getting Stuck Choosing a Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P Options for getting TV/Cable stations programming over the Internet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
G Getting Notifications of New Issues of Standards like AS9102 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Getting Zero for GR&R Reproducibility? Using Minitab Software 5
M Trigonometric Calculation (V-Anvil Micrometer). I'm not getting it. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Getting into Quality Consulting Career and Occupation Discussions 7
D Promoting Company Wide Quality Drive - Getting Employee Buy In Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
G Internal Audit Planning - We are not getting the best out of our Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Getting to the ASQ Exams at MD&M Chicago, 19 Sep 11 Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
Marc Using Bing for Search? You're getting Google Search Results! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
W Time Line for getting registered to AS9100B AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
D Quality Digest article - "An Honest Gage R&R Study" - Where is he getting the d2*? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Implementation of Quality Circle Proposals? Teams are getting resistance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Leadership Attributes - Getting buy-in on Quality from other functions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
jasonb067 Tailgate Food - Football season is getting near Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
H Getting Things Started ? QM, Tactics, Strategy, Acceptance vs. Gridlock, Enthusiasm Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
B Need guidance for getting EN 980 Medical Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 2