GHS compliance - Are we are required to provide an SDS?

R

RandyCissner

I am trying to get an understanding on whether or not we are required to provide an SDS under the new system. I work for an abrasives company making quick locks, flap discs, etc. We do not make the actual paper here, it is made overseas. We only assemble the products. No hazardous materials are used. None is corrosive in any way. I believe we are exempt under the "Articles" section, but I'm looking for clarification. We have never been required to use any hazardous labels at anytime. We provide the SDS sheets to customers from our vendors if requested so they can see what they have. We are just trying to make sure we are doing what is necessary. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Randy, and welcome to the Cove.

Take this as on online forum response...not as a government or OSHA ruling...

To the best of my knowledge, no one is required to send an SDS with anything (odd but true).

The recipient is required to have an SDS on site and available to anyone exposed to potentially hazardous material. This has turned into a common habit of sending one to your customers...but I don't believe that is an actual requirement.

Bottom line, if your customers don't ask for them, and the materials are not hazardous, you're pretty clean.

As a "Distributor", if so classified, you have until 12/1/2015 to be GHS compliant. This gives you time to get updated SDS's from your vendors.

With OSHA..."better safe than sorry" is a good rule of thumb all the same.
I your place (and I am), I would ask my vendors for an updated GHS Compliant SDS...push the burden over to them.

HTH

R

RandyCissner

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I was able to get in touch with OSHA, and since we are not changing the chemical make up of the paper in or assembly process, and also since this is not a chemical or toxic to a down stream if exposed, we do not need to provide an SDS. We are only required to give the SDS from the vendor we get our sandpaper from. The companies we buy from are all overseas, and some are compliant, some are not. Some are working on them, some...not so much. That is the depressing part, when someone asks and you cannot provide an update because you are waiting on your supplier. The companies that were asking are the major catalogue distributors. But after the Industrial Hygienist from OSHA said we did fall under the "Article" exemption, it helped us greatly. Thanks again!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D MSDS / GHS Walk-through / Auditing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
S GHS Labeling Requirements question Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
Scott Catron OSHA Hazcom GHS Implementation - June 1 2015 deadline Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
K GHS (global harmonized system) Labeling requirements for Small Packages Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Manufacture and Sales of GHS Labels and Pictograms Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
Z New GHS-aligned HazCom 2012 rules for Chemical Labeling in the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
S Hazcom (Hazard Communication) Labels per GHS Requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
optomist1 Informational Training IMDS - Management of Product Chemical Regulatory Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
G ISO 14001 - 6.1.3 Compliance Obligations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
C Compliance with ISO 17025 requirement 8.4.2 - Controls - Records recovery ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J Interesting Discussion Compliance with regulations in exceptional circumstances EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Wearables 21 CFR Part 11 compliance Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
V Preparing the IFU in compliance with MDR 745, Chapter III EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L AS9146 Implementation and Compliance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Foam mattresses used in hospitals - compliance with MDR requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E Machines in Europe not in compliance with the EC directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Role of quality compliance in SAP Software Quality Assurance 2
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
M MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
T Rumours that class 1 NS, NM, NR devices will have a new deadline for MDR compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G ISO 9001 Legal Compliance and Legal Register Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Ed Panek Do Cloud services require 21 CFR Part 11 compliance? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Business Intelligence and 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
I CAP/CLIA Environment - Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Informational Medtech Europe guidance – Use of Symbols to Indicate Compliance with the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
lilybef Medical Devices & US TAA (Trade Agreement Act) Compliance - 2019 Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 5
M How is Class I Medical Device Compliance Enforced? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Is Compliance Testing of IEC 60601-2-63 mandatory for Europe - Dental X-Ray machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K IEC 60601-1-9 Compliance mendatory or Not - CT Scan machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
L IEC 60601-1-11 IP22 Compliance - Ingress protection testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Relevance of Offsite backups process compliance and ISO 27001 certification. IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
A System for Compliance Management (Medical Device) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4