Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F?

greif

Involved In Discussions
I recently had a 125mm glass scale calibrated by an 17025 accredited lab. The report claims a k=2 uncertainty of 0.13um.
However;
-The calibration was done at 74 degees F, with no corrections noted
-the cal report does not state the path that was used (along the lines of the scale)
-the cal report does not state if right edge, left edge, or center of line was used to locate measurement.

Is this as sloppy as I think it is, considering the 0.13um claim?
Shouldn't enough info be documented that any lab could reproduce the measurement?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I recently had a 125mm glass scale calibrated by an 17025 accredited lab. The report claims a k=2 uncertainty of 0.13um.
However;
-The calibration was done at 74 degees F, with no corrections noted
-the cal report does not state the path that was used (along the lines of the scale)
-the cal report does not state if right edge, left edge, or center of line was used to locate measurement.

Is this as sloppy as I think it is, considering the 0.13um claim?
Shouldn't enough info be documented that any lab could reproduce the measurement?
So many issues here.....
So they are claiming an uncertainty of 0.13 µm (about 5 µin). For any distance? I'm not calling it impossible, NIST can measure glass scales at that level of uncertainty with their interferometer system. But I strongly doubt it. What did your lab list as their reference standards?

Borosilicate glass has real low thermal expansion of around 3 X 10-6 , but you are correct in wondering how that is not reported as a correction value at that level of measurement uncertainty.

Let's not even get into where they located the measurement...

Is this as sloppy as you think it is, considering the 0.13um claim? YES!
Shouldn't enough info be documented that any lab could reproduce the measurement? YES!

You have a right to request to see the calibration method they used. That should include the details you are asking about.
Do I think they over-promised and under-delivered?
YES!!!

What kind of accuracy is this scale of yours?

greif

Involved In Discussions
The lab scope says they are capable of 7.1 micro-inch 0.01" to 40" using a linear laser system.
My oops on their claimed uncertainty for my measurement- the reports says 0.31um not 0.13.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
The lab scope says they are capable of 7.1 micro-inch 0.01" to 40" using a linear laser system.
My oops on their claimed uncertainty for my measurement- the reports says 0.31um not 0.13.
So at least they have the capabilities for the uncertainties they claim.
The temperature still raises an issue, depending on the delta from your lab.
As for the measurement sites - who knows there.

Depending on the accuracy of your glass scale this might all be moot.
With a typical accuracy of 0.005 mm (5 µm) for a glass scale the uncertainty and thermal expansion are not significant.

Brenda

Starting to get Involved
One could call it sloppy when you do not agree on the measuring protocol before you send equipment for calibration.

Same for the temperature correction, you should know the thermal expansion factor of your own equipement

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
A IEC 60601-1 Impact test on glass touch controller IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Verifying gas tight glass syringe used for making standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Marc Modified Google Glass can teach you Morse Code in four hours World News 0
M Identification of Glass Instruments and Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
hogheavenfarm Breakable Glass/Acrylic Standards needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G Where to get a NIST Traceable Master Glass Refractive Index Sample General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Glass Ampoules for a Liquid Embolic System Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
T Liquid in Glass Thermometers verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S Glass Bead Blast Cleaning Spec TT-C-490 Rev D Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
J Using P-Charts for Glass Manufacturing to Monitor and Control Attributes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B Mecury-in-Glass Thermometer Calibration Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B What a mess!!! Nebula Glass International (d.b.a. Glasslam) vs. Wacker Chemicals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Y Calibration Frequency Requirements of Liquid in Glass Thermometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ASTM F2179-02 Glass Scratch Test Procedure Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Appropriate Test Environments for In-Glass Liquid Thermometer Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C FM (Foreign Material) Specifications for Plastic Molded Devices & Glass Containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
H Surgical Sealant Package Integrity Test for Glass Vial Filled Product Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Marc Solid Glass Jellyfish Paper Weight - How do they make this? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
P Plate Glass: Cosmetic Inspection for Scratches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
P Sample Manufacturing Method for Ball Drop Test of Automotive Tempered Glass General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P Retest for Reconfiguration IEC 60601 - Robot that processes samples onto glass plates IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Jim Wynne Glass-top Patio Tables Shatter Without Warning Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
I Glass Packaging Material (Jars) - Chemical, Physical and Biological Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Howard Atkins ISO 3591 - Sensory analysis - Wine tasting glass - At last a useful ISO standard Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Mohammed Gouda Liquid Bath Depth for Calibration of Glass Immersion Type Thermometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
Mohammed Gouda How to "Anneal" a Glass Thermometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Mohammed Gouda How to Calibrate Glass Thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Adhesive Longevity Tests - Glued Silicone used in a Shower to Bond Glass Panels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
I FAI (First Article Inspection) for Bulletproof Glass normally for Autos? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Y Energy Savings in Glass Tablewares Company - Continuous Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K ISO 22000 Implementation in Chicken Product Mfg - is 'Glass Policy' necessary? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
D How to Schedule Mercury-in-Glass Thermometer Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 17
Marc Vinyl Replacement Windows - 'Weeping' condensation at Glass / Vinyl Interface After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
samer Glass of Milk Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
P Automotive Safety Glass Strength - Amount of Force to Shatter Safety Glass Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 7
Marc Glass-Ceramic Kitchen Range - Reliability and Durability Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 17
S Mercury in Glass Thermometer Uncertainty Budget Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
B Destructive Gage R&R method for a glass factory study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Level of accuracy required for the calibration of glass mercury thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marc Calibration of Glassware and Liquid in Glass Thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
dhuot1990 USP 41 Hanging Scale - Is it possible to make a hang scale adhere to USP41 Standards? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Q FDA 3500A Reports - Trip and Fall - Weight scale with a fold out platform Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Weigh Scale Electronics - Suggested Storage Humidity and Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 7