GLP Animal Study - Change number of treatment sites

JB0424

Starting to get Involved
Hi!

If I run a GLP animal study, and realize after the study starts that I can get more data points per animal than my protocol stated, then is that allowed?

For example, my protocol states that I am going to apply a treatment to 3 different places on an organ. I realize after initiating the study that the organ is large enough to accommodate treatment to 4 places. Within the confines of GLP, am I allowed to collect the 4th data point?

Additionally, do I have to report the data obtained from the 4th point if I do collect it?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
I am not an expert on animal studies but from past experience, you start off with a small pilot before doing the actual study.
A 'pilot' run allows you to run the protocol and make adjustments (like adding data points), optimize the algorithm, etc.
After the pilot run you do the actual study and analysis.

In your situation you should revise the protocol. As long as you provide a rationale for what you do and no backdating - I don't see a problem with GLP. You have more options than you think!
You can define in the protocol that only in certain conditions data from a forth point will be collected. If you collect data from the forth point you must report it to avoid bias.
Keep in mind that you can use inclusion / exclusion criteria to help you deal with borderline situations.

Goodluck,
Shimon

Last edited:

JJ_FDA

Involved In Discussions
In addition to amending the protocol (mandatory) and reporting your additional results (mandatory), don't forget to have the protocol amendment reviewed by your ethics committee (also mandatory)!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Do all animal studies have to be GLP compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
J GLP accreditation for mechanical tests of medical device? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A Information on good laboratory practices (GLP) for the non-medical or food industry wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T MDR on Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) - Pg 110, section 6.1 (b) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J GLP requirements in preclinical study CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Gamula Biocompatibility GLP conform tests outside China China Medical Device Regulations 1
P Comparison of OEDC and US FDA GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
J GLP recognition via SCC (Standards Council of Canada) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
J Blood glucose monitoring device testing - GLP or GCP Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Y New Draft FDA Guidance for Applicability of GLP in Medical Device Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Sam Lazzara Summer 2013 - Best of FDA Guidance Documents - GLP Q&A, Clinical Monitoring, MDR Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F Biocompatibility study conducted in the GLP lab outside Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
N Scope of GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) in different countries 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Z Getting around GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) with FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
G How to get the FDA (GLP Certification) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D Do Device Verification Bench Tests need to be GLP? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
C ISO 17025 - GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) Gap Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
M GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) Requirement for Sterility Validations Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
AnaMariaVR2 Regulatory References for the Operation, Maintenance and Calibration of GLP equipment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
B What do we need to do to be certified as a GLP laboratory? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
I Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) Gap Analysis Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
S GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) Requirements and Audit US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
M A question arising in my lab in a GLP (Good Laboratory Practice) study US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
S GTP (Good Tissue Practice) & GLP (Good Laboratory Practice) Certification US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) Certification Body Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 10
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
G ISO 22442 Supplier Audit Checklist - Medical devices utilizing animal tissues General Auditing Discussions 0
K Supplier Controls for Animal Tissue Suppliers for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Informational US FDA final guidance – Utilizing Animal Studies to Evaluate Organ Preservation Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – Medical Devices Containing Materials Derived from Animal Sources (Except for In Vitro Diagnostic Devices) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Animal-Derived products in Packaging Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
R Medical Equipment in Simulated Animal Enclosures IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
N FDA Requirements for Animal Laboratory Testing (Harmonic Scalpel) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Biocompatibility - why are animal studies necessary? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
A Pre-clinical Animal Studies for long term implantable medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc Feathered Dinosaur Death Site is an ?Animal Pompeii? World News 1
T Can Medical Devices with Animal Origin material be imported in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Animal Tissue (Pericardium) Engineering Process Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Looking for a CB that also performs Animal Welfare Audits in the US ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Looking for Animal Model to Simulate the Anatomy of the Human Cervix 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
S Animal Origin and Human Origin Products Import Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
S HACCP for Animal Feed - Writing a form and report about Animal Feed Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 10
W Use of materials derived from animal sources Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Computer System Validation Records - Document Destroy Date - Animal pharma company Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
D Certification Requirements Applicable to Medical Devices Used for Animal Research Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S ISO 9001 Gap Analysis for company Marketing Animal Health Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Tissues of Animal Origins ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Claes Gefvenberg Coworker - Animal stories Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
A Quality Manual for ISO 9001 integrated with AAALAC (Animal care program) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2