GM GP12 - Indicate containment stations on the Process Flow Diagram?

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

Having grasped GP12 and what it all means, can anyone advise on whether it is standard practice to indicate the containment stations on the Process Flow Diagram?

I am implementing GP 12 and need to know if these stations should be on the documentation?

If it is on the Process flow it will be an individual step on the control plan! Is this acceptable?

Can anyone who has used this procedure tell me if they included it on the process docs?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Manix said:
Hi All,

Having grasped GP12 and what it all means, can anyone advise on whether it is standard practice to indicate the containment stations on the Process Flow Diagram?

I am implementing GP 12 and need to know if these stations should be on the documentation?

If it is on the Process flow it will be an individual step on the control plan! Is this acceptable?

Can anyone who has used this procedure tell me if they included it on the process docs?
GM expects that there will be a GP12 control plan. I don't recall whether the PFD is expected to be specific to GP12, but it makes sense to make it so. The flow diagram, PFMEA and control plan should always form a linked chain, so your PFMEA should also reflect the GP12 activity.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I have the areas called out on all our "GP-12" documents (including PFMEA) submitted to any of my customers requiring the procedure - if for no other reason than to not have to explain anything. It's fairly simple (in my software) to modify them for the Production process.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Thanks guys,

I think I will include the stations for the simple reason Bill gave, not having to explain or prove anything to the customer!

It can do no harm to have thes on there, except having to take them off when you exit GP12! However this is not too much hassle!

:thanks:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Manix said:
Thanks guys,

I think I will include the stations for the simple reason Bill gave, not having to explain or prove anything to the customer!

It can do no harm to have thes on there, except having to take them off when you exit GP12! However this is not too much hassle!

:thanks:
It might be easier to create two versions to begin with, and keep the GP12 documents as records when you exit GP-12.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
I will echo JSW05's suggestion. When we do a launch, we'll do a separate
GP12 control plan that includes just the added GP12 inspections, then once exiting GP12 just drop the extra piece.

To be honest, though, I realize after considering your question that we
haven't included the GP12 on the PFD. :eek:

Brad Pritts

D

Daisy.wang

hi, i'm the first time here, very glad to see you all
now ,i have a question about
GP12,( safe launch phase):
when we make a EPC which concerns increased frequency and sample size of inspection,i want to know if we should change the FMEA, and WI for compliance with EPC?,or we dont need to change the FMEA/WI, just as and when get the customer's approval, keep the record of EPC, direct using the FMEA/WI/CP of production?

looking forward to receive your feed back

thank millions

Manix

Get Involved!!!
hi, i'm the first time here, very glad to see you all
now ,i have a question about
GP12,( safe launch phase):
when we make a EPC which concerns increased frequency and sample size of inspection,i want to know if we should change the FMEA, and WI for compliance with EPC?,or we don't need to change the FMEA/WI, just as and when get the customer's approval, keep the record of EPC, direct using the FMEA/WI/CP of production?

looking forward to receive your feed back

thank millions
HI Daisy and welcome to the cove.

In in the generic sense the FMEA is something that documents the potential failures within your process and these should be the same whether you are under GP12 or not under GP12. HOWEVER, whenever I have been under GP12 I have always included the GP12 inspection stations on the Process Flow (as something that goes off line as all GP12 stations should be off line) and thus on the PFMEA I have dealt with potential failures at these stations. So in essence I suppose I have a separate set of GP12 documents including the PCP.

However the only change I see necessary to the WI's would be a detailed set should be included on the GP12 inspection station. I can't see how any other WI's would be required.

I think it would again be whether your customer wants to see GP12 stations on ALL of the process documents or not. Though I would always document steps in the process that would ultimately effect the level of Correct parts that reach the customer.

D

Daisy.wang

Hi , Manix
really appreciated for your quick response
i agree we can do as what the customer's requirment
but i am customer for the suppliersand
i have to make myself more clear, so i can train or ask the supplier to do as our requirment
ok, could you help me to clarify the following question:
1.the GP12 is the same as pre-production CP?
2.The early production containment CP need made before ppap? Delphi ask the supplier to submit the EPC to them.
3. In my opinon, if the process is in stable ,CPK is more than 1.67, we can uniform the EPC CP and production cp?

thanks again

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Welcome to the Cove Daisy :bigwave:

1) Yes - GP-12 is the procedure that descibes the Pre-launch Control Plan

2) Yes - The Pre-launch Control Plan (part of Delphi's Early Production Containment (EPC)) needs to be developed before the PPAP run.

3) Typically, No. At the time of PPAP, you have probably not run enough product to encompass all the special/assignable causes your process may exhibit. The "extra" controls in the Pre-launch Control Plan (larger sample size or increased frequency) should really stay in place long enough to show a "longer term" capability.

Hope that helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Production Operators Performing GP12 (General Motors Containment) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
S Transfer of Product to Production - EPC/Safe Launch/GP12 and VDA 6.3 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Manix GM's GP12 Increased Frequency/Sample Size - B1 of the plan development section FMEA and Control Plans 8
M GM (General Motors) GP-12 (GP12): aka GM's Targets for Excellence General Procedures Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
M Informational Medtech Europe guidance – Use of Symbols to Indicate Compliance with the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Calibration of a Dial Indicator only used to indicate 0 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
ScottK Card used to indicate Sterilization Status - Australian Medical Device Question Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S What does Training Mandays indicate? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
D Does the type of out control point indicate root cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
D Calibration labels - Does all measuring equipment require a label to indicate status? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D What document will indicate the date the QMS became effective? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
W Approval of Electronic Documents - How do we indicate "document approval"? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Marc Do signatures need to appear on procedures to indicate review and approval? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D Customer Specific Containment Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
L Containment and Control of Nonconforming Product(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S TS 16949 Containment Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Customer Complaint - Rapid Response Containment Procedure Customer Complaints 2
M Customer wants a Containment Plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
B Best Attribute Data Sampling Plan - Early Production Containment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S What Spill Containment to Put at Dock Door Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
M What Indicator should we use to follow Incident Containment Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Fender1 NCP (Nonconforming Product) Containment - 3 Levels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Containment Actions for NCRs (AS9100 C) that are not Product related AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 24
G ISO 9001 Containment Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
D Containment Actions to be taken when a non conformance is presented Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Q Measuring Effectiveness in Containment Action or in Corrective Action? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
F Poor Containment - Supplier Nonconformance Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
V Corrective Action & Containment Procedure - Flow Chart Format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T Third Party Containment in Mexico Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
Q Product Hold Order and Containment - Procedure wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L IS/TS 16949 Initial Cert. Audit - placed on 3rd party containment with Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q NCR, Containment Action, CAR - Some Basic Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
L Containment Device Classification - Class I Medical Device via Rule 1 MDD Annex IX EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q CONTAINMENT of affected product - What situation mandates PRODUCT HOLD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L I need help with containment practices - First off/coil change containment Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
H Containment Process Flow - Need help creating one Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
T "Creative" ways to handle Early Production Containment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
elkel What are the Requirements for Secondary Containment? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 16
E Definition Controlled Shipping Containment Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
B Requirement for Secondary Containment of Stored Chemicals Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
S Dock Audits as part of Supplier Containment Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
T Containment Without Knowing Cause Nonconformance and Corrective Action 28
B Managing and Containment of Hazardous Material in Solid Waste Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
Crusader Spill Containment Procedure template - Need example Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
P Containment Procedure for Broken Tool, Nonconforming Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
L Level 2 Containment requirements - Appearance issues Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
T TS 16949 Containment Requirements - Must be Reported to Your Registrar? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9