GM to cut jobs, bonuses, and dividend

J

justncredible

You left out no OSHA, or EPA, also you can harrass the women on the production line.

C

Craig H.

Maybe my experience is not a true indicator, but it seems to me that VW has quality problems, and has had them for some time. If they are going to challenge Toyota, they need to tackle that issue.

S

somerqc

Justn,

Being one born and bred in Canada, I can assure you we do have strict safety laws that in many cases are MORE strict than US laws.

Furthermore, we equivalent Human Rights tribunals and other mechanisms that greatly reduce and/or eliminate abuses based on race, creed, or sex. In some cases, these mechanisms are stronger and have more legal power than the equivalent in many states.

Again, our labour laws in many cases ARE CAUSING COMPANIES TO LEAVE due to being overly restrictive (for example, a company needs written approval from the labour board to have some work more than 48 hrs in a week in Ontario).

Your past posts are an indication of your "view" of the world, however, we are dealing in an environment which is international. Keep this in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

justncredible

also you can harrass the women on the production line.

nope, maybe you can find some info on google, I just made that up, the rest of the world has great human rights, even to the point of denying rights. :notme: I know nothing and the thought police are knocking at my door.....:sarcasm:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
We all know that there are some places in the world that do not place a premium on human rights, but to broadly paint a swath with sweeping statements implying that this is the rule rather than the exception is unconscionable. We are not here to get into discussion on politics, and we certainly don't need to try to p!$$ people off. Mama Steel might have to come out and be be mean if we can't play nice in the sand box. All understood?

K

Kevin H

Volkswagen has made a heavy-duty committment to US manufacturing before, building/opening a brownfieldfield plant in New Stanton, PA, which they opened in 1978 and closed in the 1988. They received major concessions from the local & state government on taxes. The plant reopened under Sony in the 1990's and had a peak employment of about 3000. Current employment is on the order of 275.

Hope it works out better for Chattanooga than it did for New Stanton.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
We all know that there are some places in the world that do not place a premium on human rights, but to broadly paint a swath with sweeping statements implying that this is the rule rather than the exception is unconscionable. We are not here to get into discussion on politics, and we certainly don't need to try to p!$$ people off. Mama Steel might have to come out and be be mean if we can't play nice in the sand box. All understood?

Mama Steel has taken culprits behind the wood shack before for some serious corrective action (without RC analysis)!! :biglaugh:

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator
nope, maybe you can find some info on google, I just made that up, the rest of the world has great human rights, even to the point of denying rights. :notme: I know nothing and the thought police are knocking at my door.....:sarcasm:

One thing I've learned during my long and sometimes violent life is that unless someone has 1st hand knowledge about something, they're just talking qrap (I wanted to use the "S" word but I'm trying to be nice)....And you're probably right in saying you know nothing, only you know the truth about that.

Your previous post about avoidance of regulatory agencies and such may have had a bit of merit, but the above just ain't cuttin' it...not here anyway.

Try to hold off on slamming other cultures and folks a bit because when it comes to the denial of "rights" just look back on what "Manifest Destiny" encompassed in our history.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
One thing I've learned during my long and sometimes violent life is that unless someone has 1st hand knowledge about something, they're just talking qrap (I wanted to use the "S" word but I'm trying to be nice)....And you're probably right in saying you know nothing, only you know the truth about that.

Your previous post about avoidance of regulatory agencies and such may have had a bit of merit, but the above just ain't cuttin' it...not here anyway.

Try to hold off on slamming other cultures and folks a bit because when it comes to the denial of "rights" just look back on what "Manifest Destiny" encompassed in our history.
FWIW:
US employers in Canadian and Mexican plants are usually pretty consistent in safety and OSHA-type aspects of running a plant - mostly because it makes good business sense not to kill off your employees.

I have no direct knowledge about attention to EPA-type considerations, but it would seem to make sense if you build a new plant to take advantage of modern technologies to reduce waste emissions.
[before you take me to task about there being no OSHA or EPA in some countries where USA manufacturers build plants - I was specific about "OSHA-type" and "EPA-type"]

:topic:Let's examine the comment about
also you can harrass the women on the production line.
("harass" is one "r" by the way)
Sadly:(, some of the foreign companies which have built plants here in
the USA have had some severe public scandals about REDACTED harassment. You CAN google and find some pretty ripe/raw examples.

Probably, the use of the word "can" by the poster has instigated the flap about the comment.

The dreary truth is REDACTED harassment knows no borders and jerks of both genders sometimes get into positions of power where they THINK they can either commit such harassment or condone such activity by their subordinates.

I know of NO government which officially condones harassment, even though there are a number which severely limit the work opportunities and civil rights of females and members of certain "social classes." In those countries, in fact, there is a kind of paternalistic or "ownership" notion by the government and others and the kind of harassment which might get a smirk from bosses and government officials here in the USA might result in jail or even corporal punishment (whipping), not because it offends the woman, but because it offends the male who considers her "property."

Bottom line:
The reasons corporations locate plants in other countries are primarily economic. Corporations are called "soulless" for a reason - they don't implement social benefits or protections for the sake of the worker per se, but because such policies and protections help them maintain a more stable, efficient work force - it is inefficient to keep training new employees because the old ones die or get killed or maimed. Similarly for REDACTED harassment issues - no corporate officer in his right mind wants ANYTHING to distract from the job at hand being performed correctly and efficiently, therefore he takes steps to prevent it and nip it quickly if it happens on his watch. (Of course, some corporate officers are the jerks mentioned above!:()

Top Bottom