GM/VP softgrading internal audit finding - need feedback from an audit guru!

sandra2014

Involved In Discussions
Hello,
I need a question answered by an auditing guru- we a a contract manufacturer, that performs our QMS internal audits under AS9100D, ISO 13485:2016, ISO 9001:2015 QMS guidelines. One of the auditors noted a nonconformance finding, but our GM/VP overruled this nonconformance finding and directed it to be changed to an opportunity for improvement. This was noted and signed on the final report by the GM/VP. I searched all the applicable AS9100D, ISO 13485:2016, ISO 9001:2015 stds, but the requirements do not specifically state that this is a violation. Please direct me to the specific clause that would deem this unacceptable? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi sandra2014,

I'm no "auditing guru" but I'm curious. Has the GM/VP attended any kind of auditor training? Was he one of the auditors who identified/observed the nonconformance and have first-hand knowledge of the scenario? Does the GM/VP have direct responsibility for the area where the NC was detected? Your answers to these questions would be helpful in directing you to the specific clause(s) to determine whether his actions are acceptable.

:)

sandra2014

Involved In Discussions
Hello, The GM/VP technically has responsibility for all of the QMS, he is also our management rep. He also has a Quality Assurance background. Specifically the finding was related to a uncontrolled redline change on our traveler made by one of our account managers. our engineering dept was not notified of this redline, they are a required signatory for any changes to controlled documentation. Also, this was brought up by an external auditor their finding was: ISO 13485:2016 measurement analysis and improvement-internal audit clause 8.2.4 'internal auditor independence not maintained' findings may be overturned by management even if there is misalignment with the internal auditor. Please advise.
Thx,

Last edited:

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Hello,
I need a question answered by an auditing guru- we a a contract manufacturer, that performs our QMS internal audits under AS9100D, ISO 13485:2016, ISO 9001:2015 QMS guidelines. One of the auditors noted a nonconformance finding, but our GM/VP overruled this nonconformance finding and directed it to be changed to an opportunity for improvement. This was noted and signed on the final report by the GM/VP. I searched all the applicable AS9100D, ISO 13485:2016, ISO 9001:2015 stds, but the requirements do not specifically state that this is a violation. Please direct me to the specific clause that would deem this unacceptable? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Also, some more specifics about the NC found might be a bit helpful...

sandra2014

Involved In Discussions
Also, some more specifics about the NC found might be a bit helpful...
Hello, The GM/VP technically has responsibility for all of the QMS, he is also our management rep. He also has a Quality Assurance background. Specifically the finding was related to a uncontrolled redline change on our traveler made by one of our account managers. our engineering dept was not notified of this redline, they are a required signatory for any changes to controlled documentation. Also, this was brought up by an external auditor their finding was: ISO 13485:2016 measurement analysis and improvement-internal audit clause 8.2.4 'internal auditor independence not maintained' findings may be overturned by management even if there is misalignment with the internal auditor. Please advise.
Thx,

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Specifically the finding was related to a uncontrolled redline change on our traveler made by one of our account managers. our engineering dept was not notified of this redline, they are a required signatory for any changes to controlled documentation.
So you have a procedure to follow, and it was not followed, with no approval from the governing party...I don't see how this is an OFI any more than shipping the wrong product to a customer.

Also, this was brought up by an external auditor their finding was: ISO 13485:2016 measurement analysis and improvement-internal audit clause 8.2.4 'internal auditor independence not maintained' findings may be overturned by management even if there is misalignment with the internal auditor. Please advise.
Thx,
How in the world would this "overturning" ever make it in front of an external auditor? That's silly. Any "overturning" would be done on a draft of the audit report, prior to it being issued...since it was "overturned" by the person in charge of the QMS. If you got a third party finding on this, I would consider it a self-inflicted wound.

If the external auditor wrote it up because it was a NC that was softballed for image maintenance...there's the answer to your OP question right there...and I would agree with the finding.

I've been a VP...stuff like that does cross your mind at times...but it is still inappropriate given the information shared so far.

mikegospo

Starting to get Involved
As an auditor, I would review the finding and make a determination as to whether it actually is a nonconformance or not. If it is and it was "overturned" it could then become a finding the audit performed by the registrar. Internal audits in many cases document findings which are not true nonconformances, typically this is just based on inexperience, misunderstanding the requirements or how the evidence was presented. Perhaps the auditee did not understand what the auditor was looking for. I would recommend that all audit reports for internal audits be reviewed for these issues. As long as the "overturning" is justified there would be no problem with this.

tony s

Information Seeker
If there's a clear evidence violating an established requirement which resulted to raising a nonconformity, this cannot be converted into an opportunity for improvement. NC is defined as a "non-fulfillment of a requirement" and cannot be "downgraded" into an OFI.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Thx,
I am a self declared audit guru :D The GM is soft grading the finding. For what reason, we could only speculate. But, whatever the reason, he is undermining the work of the internal auditors and allowing a nonconforming situation to exist. With the OFI classification, no formal corrective action would be required.

Golfman25

I don't think we can say anything until we know what the "uncontrolled redline" was. If it was simply administrative, then no harm, no foul. If was a process alteration, I would be more concerned.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P How to avoid softgrading in System Audits General Auditing Discussions 21
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 2
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
I What direction do you provide your internal auditors on OFIs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
D Impartiality of Internal Auditor ISO 9001/13485 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 3
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
Ron Rompen Internal Quality Alert Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
U Changes to Internal Processes and Risk Evaluation - Mitigations Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
Q Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
V PCB internal insulation treated as insulation formed by insulating compound IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3