GMDN PT Codes vs. FDA Preferred Term (PT) Codes

missjenny

Involved In Discussions
Hello all,

For FDA GUDID, is there any reason why I should pay for a GMDN membership instead of using the freely available FDA PT Code?

One of my colleagues seems to think that FDA PT Codes are only temporarily available and we will all eventually have to acquire GMDN membership. I do not see where this is referenced anywhere in any of the FDA guidances.

Please advise!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteveK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: GMDN PT Code vs. FDA PT Code

The three letter FDA Product Codes would seem to be rather fundamental i.e. for their MAUDE system, so I cannot see them being only temporarily available. GUDID supply the GMDN definition for a particular item on their site (though not the actual number). I do not know however if you have to supply the particular GMDN for your product so that GUDID can give the correct definition.

Steve

missjenny

Involved In Discussions

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my question.

I understand that Product Codes are here to stay. What my colleague was referring to were the FDA Preferred Terms that are used in place of GMDN codes on the GUDID at the moment. My colleague is insisting that he has heard that the Preferred Terms are temporary and that the FDA itself has and continues to encourage manufacturers to become a GMDN member and use GMDN codes.

Does anyone know anything about this?

T

TroutBrook

Hi MissJenny,

I'm not 100% sure FDA's long term position on this, but you may want to check out the proposed rule...quoting:

(12) The GMDN code for the device. GMDN is a comprehensive system of generic descriptors (preferred terms) with definitions used to generically identify medical devices. The main purpose of the GMDN is to provide regulatory authorities and other users with a single naming system that will support patient safety by facilitating data exchange between regulatory authorities, including the exchange of post-market surveillance information. We believe that the use of GMDN in the UDI Database would facilitate the organization of the database and allow users to quickly and efficiently search the database. At this time GMDN data is not available to the public unless a fee is paid to the GMDN Agency. We believe, however, that by the time we publish a final rule, GMDN data will be available to the public at no cost. We will not include this requirement in our final rule if GMDN data is not freely available by the time we publish a final rule.

So sounds like FDA didn't want people to have to use a for pay system (not sure why...they have no problem collecting fees!!)

Also, if you are selling globally, I've noticed that the new device regulations in Europe address this topic. Refer to article 21a of draft IVD reg where it talks about commission ensuring that medical device nomenclature shall be available free of charge.

When I look at all this together, I'm thinking either GMDN will become free of charge (as FDA hoped in proposed rule) or FDA terms will stay.

QA-Man

Involved In Discussions
Here's How to get GMDN codes.

Here's How to get GMDN codes.

Search the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) for similar devices. Open the public ARTG summary pdf and you'll find the GMDN code at the bottom. Don't just check one product, as the code can be incorrect or there may be a more refined code that better describes your device.

There appears to be some differences between the GMDN PT and FDA PT. In more than one instance I used the FDA preferred term code because the equivalent GMDN code was made obsolete.

missjenny

Involved In Discussions

TroutBrook

Thank you so much for your helpful reply!

I did not think to read the FDA Final Rule as I had been stuck on the guidances only. I suppose the Final Rule is legally binding while the guidances are only supplemental in nature.

Since the EU is also planning to make nomenclature freely available, I do not see why I should pay 2~3k a year for GMDN services.
:thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U GMDN CODES application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M NANDO codes of products - These are not the GMDN codes, correct? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Is it compulsory to update the obsolete GMDN codes in ARTG? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
N GMDN codes for orthopedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
J Where to get GMDN Codes Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 14
F UMDNS and GMDN Codes - When a Preferred Term has been Retired Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B GMDN Codes again - Code for "spinal fixation system" Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
P GMDN (Global Medical Device Nomenclature) Codes (searchable database) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 17
V GMDN Codes for 'High Frequency Radiosurgical systems' ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V List of Global Medical Device Nomenclature (GMDN) Codes Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 48
chris1price GMDN (Global Medical Device Nomenclature) Codes Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 85
D GMDN code update - Canada - Do you know if there is guidance? Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
A GMDN Registration Basic preliminary Information EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S GMDN Code for Chitosan Products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
L GMDN code wanted - Software for handling records Service Industry Specific Topics 9
JoshuaFroud How important is using the "correct" GMDN? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 13
L GMDN code differences, Manufacturer and Sponsor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F UMDN vs GMDN - What are the differences? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M GMDN Term Development Timeline? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
somashekar Do NB's want the Declaration of Conformity with GMDN code? EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S Disposable Loop Electrode - GMDN/or UMDNS code? Imported Legacy Blogs 3
S Description for GMDN Code wanted Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
G Cost for Generating one Class IIb Medical Device GMDN Code Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
J0anne GMDN (Global Medical Device Nomenclature) in EU and US Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J0anne GMDN (Global Medical Device Nomenclature) Australia, Japan, Turkey, Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
SteveK UMDNS and GMDN ? How about UNCCS? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
S GMDN Code (Class IIb) for Male Condom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
K Medical Device Nomenclature - GMDN and ISO15225 - When should it be applied? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Global Medical Device Nomenclature (GMDN) Code ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR Requirements - UDI/Barcodes/QR codes on IFUs EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J MEDDEV 2.12/1's new MIR & IMDRF terms & codes (IMDRF Annex) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M CER (Clinical Evaluation Reports) updates - Product Codes EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Defect codes and process codes need to be controlled AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
I FDA Exempts Product Codes from 510(k) Process (Class II Medical Devices) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R Who is regulating Security Alarm Codes? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Ajit Basrur Guidance Document - Medical Device Classification Product Codes Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
E Action Codes - Repair Codes for our Toolroom Repairs Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Quality Records (QR) Control Codes Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
S Standard Machining Defect Codes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
P Finding UMDNS (Universal Medical Device Nomenclature System) Codes Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
G New FDA Import Codes "Affirmations of Compliance" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
SteveK Colour Codes for Vacuum Gauges on Medical Devices? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
T HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) and "12 NC" Codes for Products RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
R Distribution of Reference Documents and ASME Codes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J My mentors insist I use hotel's employee manuals and codes of conduct for my... Service Industry Specific Topics 3
K Establishing Item Codes for Production Raw Materials Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2