GMP 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Records Compliance Project Help

iimp24ii

Starting to get Involved
Hello World,

I work in QA at a small biologics manufacturer and have been assigned to lead a 21 CFR Part 11 compliance project. I was told that I would need to create User Requirement Specification documents for our LIMS, QMS, analytical equipment and spreadsheets.

Do I write the URSs per the intended system functionality and/or Part 11 requirements? These are not new systems and I'm confused as to which requirements to list.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
There are a couple of 'concepts' in play here.

First, you imply the system manages electronic records and/or electronic signatures and have determined that Part 11 applies. So, indeed, applicable Part 11 requirements should be part of your system requirements.

Second, Part 11 also requires that the software system be validated. To do that, you have to specify the intended use requirements. Validation is performed against those requirements.

Do bear in mind that validation is more than just testing. The whole software lifecycle needs to be considered. Also, it's not a 1-time event. Actions are required to maintain the software in a validated state - which may include re-validation.

iimp24ii

Starting to get Involved
Thanks Yodon, I really appreciate it!

My plan is to document a systems and records inventory, assess which require part 11 compliance, do an initial risk assessment, then the validation plan and then write the URSs.

Do you or anyone know if that would be acceptable with the FDA?

Thanks!

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, it's always hard to say what would be patently acceptable with FDA. :) But you're definitely on the right track, I think. I would recommend a Master Validation Plan where you establish your risk assessment criteria (consider both risk to patient and risk to regulatory compliance - of course with the former carrying more weight). The Master Validation Plan also can address how you keep the systems in a validated state across changes that could impact validation - which include not only changes to the software itself (patches, rev updates, etc.) but also changes to the environment (servers, number of users, etc.). You'll want to establish some mechanism to assess these things - possibly in Management Review.

iimp24ii

Starting to get Involved
Lol, darn FDA!

Anyway, thanks for the guidance Yodon. This is my first part 11 validation project so I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future! = )

iimp24ii

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

Does anyone know if storing GMP records on networked shared drives would be acceptable to the FDA concerning data integrity?

Thanks!

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
I believe it is acceptable, provided you can show sufficient control over the files, who can access the files and drives, what access rights they have, etc.

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Hello,
Does anyone know if storing GMP records on networked shared drives would be acceptable to the FDA concerning data integrity?
!
that is an wide scope of activities to be considered;
going by words.,
if its just 'storing' equivalent to 'backup' or 'archival' then with associated controls it might fly.
if you mean to store them for functional / maintaining the life-cycle of activities from creation-modifying-versioning etc., then we need to understand the details for 'controls' without which its not possible to comment on acceptability.

generally network shared drives are not acceptable, because they do not provide the adequate access controls for operational purposes. on the other hand, its generally accepted for 'accessibility/reading' wrt network drives. (read-only access)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L FDA GMP requirement: Avoid Non contact with floor? 21 CFR Part 110 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P Any one know about FDA's GMP, 21 CFR Part 111 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 14
J GMP CFR 21 Part 210 or 211 - Where does GMP address Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
N CFR 210 & CFR 211 - Major Differences to EU GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
C GMP Standard Operation Procedure - Differences between ISO 13485 and 21 CFR 810 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B GMP CFR 820 - ISO 13485 comparison ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q Where to find CFR 820/GMP Training DVDs Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
Scott Catron 21 CFR parts 210 and 211 - CURRENT GMP FOR FINISHED PHARMACEUTICALS Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
O ISO 13485 vs. GMP - Comparison matrix wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Preparing for the ASQ CPGP (GMP professional exam), how to revise and remember the vast syllabus? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
E Non-GMP examples in Pharmaceutical industry Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Can a (class I) medical device be manufactured in a GMP certified site with no ISO13485? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
E South Korea, MFDS - GMP inspections Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
E MDSAP Audit - Our QMS conforms to ISO 13485:2016 and FDA GMP Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
A Any recommendation for ASQ's CPGP (Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) Certification exam questions? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
W Interesting Discussion Class I, GMP Exempt and IEC62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J Brazil GMP license work with multiple BRH? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
W EU GMP Annex XI - What is an "appropriate QMS"? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Compliance to Brazil GMP requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
A Brazil - New RDC 183 - CBPF (GMP) question Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
L ISO 13485 and European GMP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Moving into Clinical Trials and need to find GMP Suppliers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Who can make a Correction of Entry on GMP Records Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S Traceability and the initiation of GMP Activities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
A How do we implement a Process Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Existing GMP QMS Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
J KGMP (Korean GMP requirements) vs. ISO 13485 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
R Network/Computer Data Migration Sampling GMP Software Quality Assurance 1
S Could the term "GMP" be used in a Medical Device world? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D I need an example GMP Manual Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V Which SOPs are required by GMP? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
somashekar GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) essential information URL Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Any suggestions for ASQ CPGP (Certified Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) exam prep? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
J GMP vs Service-Repair Practices - Service Centers Service Industry Specific Topics 2
jkuil Calibration before and after relocation of GMP manufacturing equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
I GMP?s for Medical Devices in Panama Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Korean GMP Guideline updated to Second Revision - April 2014 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
O Implementation of GMP - Technical files for ANVISA Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D How to handle a blood stained GMP document ? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
0 GMP Guideline for Recycled Plastic Flakes used in Food Applications Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
Q FDA and Medical Device Exemptions from GMP Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) for the Aerospace Industry AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Wooden Pallets in GMP Manufacturing Space Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
AnaMariaVR2 Documentation and Records: Harmonized GMP Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
AnaMariaVR2 FDA GMP Inspectors Cite 70% of Dietary Supplement Firms Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
C I am looking for a GMP / HACCP Checklist Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M Revision of Brazilian GMP Regulation - RDC 16/13 (RDC 59 and Portaria 686) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
AnaMariaVR2 ANVISA Considers Accepting Foreign GMP Certifications US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0