GM's GP-12 Early Production Containment applicable to Tier 2 Suppliers?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Roger Eastin

We're a tier 2 supplier and I have never heard of that GM requirement! What is it and why would tier 2's be involved?

Jim Green

Involved In Discussions
Roger I'm glad you responded to this cause you are the King of Interpretation.
Here is the scoop.
Are customer, who is a large steel company, said that GM is requesting PPAP's from them. They in turn want a ppap from us.
One of the main criteria included in this PPAP is a GP-12 (lcocated in the PPAP book in the Customer specific section II on page 34. The GP-12 is titled Early Production Containment.
I was confused because we have done PPAP's for other tier 1 customers doing business with GM and they have never requested it. Any help is appriciated.

A

A. Stuart Dyer

If G.M. requires PPAP from Tier I and also says that Tier I will require PPAP from Tier II then GP-12 would be a requirement to be held at Tier one per record retention requirements and the tier I would do the same, depending on the submission level (1-5).

GP-12 is really very easy and we all probably do it on all new products anyways, so it is probably just the case of using the GP-12 procedure and related forms.:bigwave:

S

Sporty

Looking at the PPAP Manual in the Customer specifics, GM is looking for the GP-12 requirement to be covered in your Control Plan.
I'm intrepreting that in your "Pre-Launch" control plan, you need to state that GP-12 will be followed. We have EPC (Early Production Containment) here, but I can't remember the exact number of parts that must go through EPC before GP-12 is satisfied.....I think it's something like two weeks of full production at launch will be 100% checked with no defects found before EPC can be stopped. (I'm sure if I'm wrong I will be corrected in no time :) )
I'm going to try to find the GP-12 procedure that I know is around here somewhere....that might help clarify this also.

R

Roger Eastin

All that said, it's still interesting that we've never had to comply with GP-12, being a tier 2 supplier. I guess there's a requirement written somewhere that states that some tier 2's have to do this and other tier 2's don't have to!

B

Bill Smith 98

GP-12 for sub-suppliers

We usr the GP-12 containment methodology frequently, for our suppliers. We re-word the letter a little , but the intent is the same.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

We are (recently) Tier 1 to GM. We were Tier 1 in the past when Delphi was still "under the umbrella". We're very used to having to perform to "GP-12" requirements.

We have been Tier 2 and Tier 3 for many years, with most of our Tier 1 customers supplying GM, and have always had the "GP-12" requirement. It is not that big a deal when it is planned for and has proven to "verify" the Production Control Plan.

I believe (without looking it up) the default number of pieces is 1200, unless otherwise specified. It has only been recently that we have had customers "specify" a quantity and then it is mostly a length of time or number of shipments, as opposed to a specific quantity of parts.

Bill

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Best Attribute Data Sampling Plan - Early Production Containment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T "Creative" ways to handle Early Production Containment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
Marc Containment FMEA and GP-12 (GM procedure for early production containment) FMEA and Control Plans 9
P IEC 62304:2006 A1:2015 - Software from the early 1990s IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion World wide energy demand will peak in the early 2030's Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
Q Is EN 55011:2009+A1:2010 is expiring in early 2019? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
Marc Air Pollution in the Early 21st Century Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
S Final FDA Guidance on IDEs for Early Feasibility Clinical Studies - 2013 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
J EDMS for Very Early Drug Development (Research/Drug Discovery) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
G ISO/DIS 14045 - Anyone have an early draft copy? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
V Evidence for Preventive Action & Early Warning Vigilance procedure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
J Today it's 'Leave The Office Early' Day Career and Occupation Discussions 2
P Early versus Late delivery from suppliers - what's the acceptable ratio? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
Stijloor ASQ Membership Renewal Request Comes Early - Will you renew?? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 35
M Risk Management - AS9100 revision C - Early advice please! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Juran is dead - Why the thread is closed so early? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
Jim Wynne Never believe early news reports Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc When Flying, How early do you get to the airport? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 25
Q Early Spring Cleaning - Finding Old Documents and Specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Retiring Early or Never? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 65
Marc GM in early talks to buy Chrysler World News 6
C Graph Choice For Monitoring DOA's (Dead On Arrival) and ELF's (Early Life Failures) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T AS9003 becoming obsolete as early as 2008??? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D An Early Brush with Design of Experiments Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
M Aspect Indentification? Early stages of ISO 14001 implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
C Reasons for early termination of an audit? General Auditing Discussions 23
Marc BP Meets ISO 14001 Targets 8 Years Early Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
Marc The Future of Quality - An Early Discussion Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 11
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Significant Production Run - How 300 was determined to be the minimum quantity APQP and PPAP 2
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Production and Post Production feedback - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
DuncanGibbons How is the arrangement between Design and Production organisation envisaged? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3