GM's RED X - Supposed to be a simple tool to find Root Cause

N

nicci

Hello,

I am still interested in getting information about Red X or the implementation of the Red X (or Shainin methodology) at GM. Has anyone informations about the historical development of Red X? Who has applicate it first? Wasn´t it Toyota? Is it still in use at GM? How was ist implemented at GM?

I write a master thesis about these Quality tool for Opel in germany and I am happy about all information you can give me.

Thank you very much!

W

wmarhel

Hello,

I am still interested in getting information about Red X or the implementation of the Red X (or Shainin methodology) at GM. Has anyone informations about the historical development of Red X? Who has applicate it first? Wasn´t it Toyota? Is it still in use at GM? How was ist implemented at GM?

I write a master thesis about these Quality tool for Opel in germany and I am happy about all information you can give me.

Thank you very much!

Go to the source: Shainin

I met Richard Shainin (son of Dorian Shainin) a few years back at a conference. Nice guy, had some interesting thoughts on problem solving. If your looking to write a thesis, I would suggest using the advanced features on Google. Either the "Scholar search" or the advanced search features. For the advanced search, use the keywords but restrict the file types returned to either PDF, DOC or PPT. It helps remove some of the garbage.

Wayne

C

cuteprettyone

I received my Journeyman certification in Shanin's Red X in 2004. I found the concept to be simpler than Six Sigma and derives the root cause in a more rapid and efficient manner. The course's location is in Michigan and is held for a week each time. The books for the course and software is provided when you attend the course. Overall, Red X is a good method and I wish more companies would incorporate it but only GM uses the method as of right now. Hope this helps

L

lhuaab

'Rex X' system required in GM1927-3 Supplier Quality Statement Requirement

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Here is a link to GM 1927-3.

Note that the actual requirement is "Suppliers are required to demonstrate their capability to solve complex problems using advanced problem solving techniques such as the “Red X” system at GM - AVTOVAZ." (emphasis mine).

This means alternate methods such as 8D, Six Sigma or other techniques are also acceptable.

J

johnny xu

in my opinion , each technology has own merit such as six sigma, Taguchi methods or Red-X.

we conducted some experiments to handle issues within company.

For instance, we utilized component search & paired comparison to identify significant factors rapidly by Red-X for solving illumination darkness of meters when worked at Calsonic Kansei. The tools are simple and efficient. To compare some difference between WOW &BOB.

We adopt Taguchi methods to decrease NTF rate at ICT station. Just you said , to utilize parameters design to calculate S/N ratio, two-step adjustment. You’d consider adding noise factors. To implement Taguchi , it takes a lot of time to conduct experiments.

Sampling size is so large, you need to understand advanced statistical knowledge. In brief , time is so long.

What’s more I read some Red-X cases about GM, I recommend you master some tools.

T

Tarsicio Carreon

Anyway, to whoever is interested.... investigate a little about Non-parametric statistics. Red X is based a lot in observation and comparison between a good part (Best of Best) and a bad part (Worst of worst) which leads easily to generate true clues and solve the problem.

J

johnny xu

tarsico,

do you utilize any tools such as taguchi or Red-X to solve issues within company ?

if you did , would you like to share it with me?

C

cc_zeng

Re: Red X

I saw the attched file that is good to me. I had listened Shainin method in our company's training was orginated from Motorola but it's not populaity in Asia. So, when I first saw the file let me feel happy. Thanks you share.

J

johnny xu

From GM Canada's 16th Annual Continuous Improvement Symposium

For RED-X, I suggest you read the book named " world class quality - use design of experiments to make it happen ", worth reading.
besides, you can read RED-X strategies pocket guide from General motors .
i have trained it and involved in several cases:cool:

Top Bottom