'GO' & 'NO GO' Thread Plug Gage Standard

• Thread starter qualitytoughnut - 2010
  • Start date
Q

qualitytoughnut - 2010

Hello Covers,

This is my first posting of a thread.

I am using 'GO' & 'NO GO' thread plug gages doing 100% inspection on the components.As per my knowledge,only half a thread of 'NO GO' gage is supposed to enter the component and a minimum of three threads are required to be on the gage.

My Sr. quality manager says nope,the limit of penetration of 'NO GO' gage is a minimum of half a thread,and maximum of one and a half thread.Does anyone has a written standard in support of the right assumption?:confused:

2.We are checking these components twice,once after the threading and again after zinc plating with the same gage!!My objections are over ruled by Sr.Q.Mgr. saying that this practice is going on without any serious problems.I have opined that different gages should be used,since the metal deposit after the plating reduces the ID of threads.May I have access to any standards on this,and more importantly what are the experts' opinion?

Thanking in anticipation.:eek:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: 'GO' & 'NO GO' Thread plug gage-standard

Welcome Qualitytoughnut! I like the name. . .

Fastener threads are probably a little deeper a topic than you might expect. The application will determine how much engagement and the class of fits required on the mating threads as well as material, Heat Treatment and finish. In effect, how much static and dynamic loading the threaded joint will be required to withstand in what environment.

That being said. . . look into the ANSI/ASME standards such as ASME B1 series of standards for screw threads or the metric equivalents.

Typically, 1-1/2 turns MAX on the No-Go thread plug gage. There is no minimum specification that I am aware of. A lead-in countersink slightly over the major diameter of the female threads will aid assembly of the screw/bolt and will allow the No-Go to enter slightly.

Hope this helps a bit.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hello Covers,

This is my first posting of a thread.

I am using 'GO' & 'NO GO' thread plug gages doing 100% inspection on the components.As per my knowledge,only half a thread of 'NO GO' gage is supposed to enter the component and a minimum of three threads are required to be on the gage.

My Sr. quality manager says nope,the limit of penetration of 'NO GO' gage is a minimum of half a thread,and maximum of one and a half thread.Does anyone has a written standard in support of the right assumption?:confused:

2.We are checking these components twice,once after the threading and again after zinc plating with the same gage!!My objections are over ruled by Sr.Q.Mgr. saying that this practice is going on without any serious problems.I have opined that different gages should be used,since the metal deposit after the plating reduces the ID of threads.May I have access to any standards on this,and more importantly what are the experts' opinion?

Thanking in anticipation.:eek:
Welcome on the cove and a "HAPPY NEW YEAR"

You are right about minimum 3 full threads on NO GO gages.The Machinery's Hand Book says (P 1201-1202) :"Not less than three full threads must remain on any NO GO plug".
It further adds:"No Go gages having 16 TPI or more are relieved on both ends 1/32" below the root of thread and 1/8" in from each end,the thread being removed."
Though it does'nt mention about the number of permitted turns for penetration,the relief at the end is provided to facilitate it's entry.

2.In addition to what 'The Taz' has said,can you be more specific about the kind of T.P.G. you are using viz:Taper lock,single plug,reversible or annular.Also what kind of component you are inspecting.

/Umang :bigwave:

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
The Machinery's Hand Book says (P 1201-1202) :"Not less than three full threads must remain on any NO GO plug".
It further adds:"No Go gages having 16 TPI or more are relieved on both ends 1/32" below the root of thread and 1/8" in from each end, the thread being removed."
Umang, thank you for referring to the "Machinery's Handbook."

This is a great resource that I have been using for over 40 years! Is gone through many revisions and updates. I recommend it highly.

Stijloor.

Q

qualitytoughnut - 2010

Welcome Qualitytoughnut! I like the name. . .

Fastener threads are probably a little deeper a topic than you might expect. The application will determine how much engagement and the class of fits required on the mating threads as well as material, Heat Treatment and finish. In effect, how much static and dynamic loading the threaded joint will be required to withstand in what environment.

That being said. . . look into the ANSI/ASME standards such as ASME B1 series of standards for screw threads or the metric equivalents.

Typically, 1-1/2 turns MAX on the No-Go thread plug gage. There is no minimum specification that I am aware of. A lead-in countersink slightly over the major diameter of the female threads will aid assembly of the screw/bolt and will allow the No-Go to enter slightly.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for your advice.You as well Harry's link has indicated that my perception was incorrect,and my quality manager is right in allowing 1-1/2 turn penetration.

Please also guide my towards second part of my question.:thanks:

Welcome on the cove and a "HAPPY NEW YEAR"

You are right about minimum 3 full threads on NO GO gages.The Machinery's Hand Book says (P 1201-1202) :"Not less than three full threads must remain on any NO GO plug".
It further adds:"No Go gages having 16 TPI or more are relieved on both ends 1/32" below the root of thread and 1/8" in from each end,the thread being removed."
Though it does'nt mention about the number of permitted turns for penetration,the relief at the end is provided to facilitate it's entry.

2.In addition to what 'The Taz' has said,can you be more specific about the kind of T.P.G. you are using viz:Taper lock,single plug,reversible or annular.Also what kind of component you are inspecting.

Thanks for the confirmation about a minimum of 3 threads on NO GO plug.The popular mis-interpretation of this is,that 3 threads are allowed to penetrate!!

2.I am using single plug,non reversible thread plug gages;having GO & NO GO on either end of single handle-from Baker,Size control & H.I.P.We are manufacturing Sealing-caps/Top-plate for spin-on filters,made from C.R and H.R sheets.

3.Is it appropiate to use same TPG after threading as well after zinc plating?Commonsense dictates nope,but can somebody provide authentic material on this. :frust:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
3.Is it appropiate to use same TPG after threading as well after zinc plating?Commonsense dictates nope,but can somebody provide authentic material on this. :frust:
It depends on the amount of plating and the application. In some cases it is necessary to make allowance for plating, and custom "preplate" thread gages are used. There are some cases I've seen when a post-plating thread chasing operation is used because of the difficulty in predicting the size of the threads after plating.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
There are some cases I've seen when a post-plating thread chasing operation is used because of the difficulty in predicting the size of the threads after plating.
Jim,

Would this "thread chasing" defeat the purpose of the plating process, namely corrosion resistance?

Stijloor.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Umang, thank you for referring to the "Machinery's Handbook."

This is a great resource that I have been using for over 40 years! Is gone through many revisions and updates. I recommend it highly.

Stijloor.
Yes,this is the best source for mechanical engineers;and I'm in your league,using it from 1964(my first year in engineering college),gifted to me by my brother in law(12th edition-printed before my birth!!).Every one in the college use to envy me for this prized possession,and we always referred to it as 'BIBLE FOR ENGINEERS'.You have aroused a nostalgic feeling of the 'golden days'. :agree:

/Umang :thanks:

Thanks for your advice.You as well Harry's link has indicated that my perception was incorrect,and my quality manager is right in allowing 1-1/2 turn penetration.

Please also guide my towards second part of my question.:thanks:

Thanks for the confirmation about a minimum of 3 threads on NO GO plug.The popular mis-interpretation of this is,that 3 threads are allowed to penetrate!!

2.I am using single plug,non reversible thread plug gages;having GO & NO GO on either end of single handle-from Baker,Size control & H.I.P.We are manufacturing Sealing-caps/Top-plate for spin-on filters,made from C.R and H.R sheets.

You are welcome.Consult the Bible (Machinery's Handbook) often,to enlighten yourself.

2.You can get the right advice from Gage manufacturers;get it straight from the horse's mouth.

3.I am not current on the subject,but if my memory serves me right,there are G & H marks (followed by numericals)on the gages.I'm not sure but perhaps G is for production and H is for use after plating.The gage manufacturers may provide you with clarification,or some one here will guide you.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Jim,

Would this "thread chasing" defeat the purpose of the plating process, namely corrosion resistance?

Stijloor.
Sometimes. In practical terms, plating rarely builds up enough inside threaded holes to make any difference in terms of corrosion protection anyway. Sometimes the purpose of plating is decorative or cosmetic and isn't intended to provide corrosion protection. This is often true of chrome plating on zinc castings.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
T Inspecting Full Thread Depth with a Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Thread Plug Gage - Calibration Frequency ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Use of ANSI Standard for Metric Thread Plug Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L UN Class 5 Tolerances - Thread Setting Plug Gage 7/8-9 UNC 5 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
C Functional Gages give different results - Thread Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
T Johnson Thread View System - Measures many characteristics on a thread plug gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
S Why Does a Thread Plug No Go Gage Mean Fail? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Thread plug chip groove - Thread plugs without the chip groove General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C Calibration of Master Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T How do I calibrate NPT Thread Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
SATHYABALARAMAN Thread Plug Gauge - NO-GO Rejection Criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L TiN Coated Thread Plug Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
F Standard regarding the wear of Thread and Plug Gages. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
R Thread Measurement - Basics on Thread Plug and Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L Pitch Diameter for a Thread Setting Plug 4.3750-8 ACME-2G, GO/ NO GO General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Thread Plug Gauge Design - Width of flat of crest of thread Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R What do "GO" and "NO GO" of a thread plug gauge check? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S NPT Thread Calibration Method - NPT Taper Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
B Method for Calibration of Thread Plug Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
T Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
R Calibration Check Points for ACME & LPT Thread Plug & Rings General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Using thread plug gages with helical coil inserts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
G API REG Pin and Box Threading - Minimum Gages Needed - Thread, Plug and Ring gauges? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Micrometer resolution for calibrating thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P Thread plug gauge failed calibration - Must I remeasure everything measured with it? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing Processes Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M NPT thread gauging and the "rapping" process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
O Thread Diameter as a Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Thread recommendation for Cast Iron part Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Thread callout - M22 x 1.0-6H 0.100R Thread Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3