Goal of a procedure

S

sneekparty

Well it's probably not the most difficult question you ever had..but I have some trouble with identifing the goal for certain processes within our company...for example...

We have an process to deal with customer complaints..the old goal was "to document the way how compaints and/or problems of clients are being handled" I transformed this to "To handle the complaints and/ or problems in such a way that customersatisfaction is garanteed and that repetition of those complaints and/or problems are being prevented"

I'm not sure that this is the right way to discribe the goal of a process...so if anyone want to give any pointers...please do...

Grtz,
Martin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

sneekparty said:

Well it's probably not the most difficult question you ever had..but I have some trouble with identifing the goal for certain processes within our company...for example...

I transformed this to "To handle the complaints and/ or problems in such a way that customersatisfaction is garanteed and that repetition of those complaints and/or problems are being prevented"

I'm not sure that this is the right way to discribe the goal of a process...so if anyone want to give any pointers...please do...

Grtz,
Martin
Martin,

My opinion, just mine, is that statement sounds vague. "in such a way" begs for further definition. The old school was "Scope" and "Purpose". However, if the procedure follows your statement, it probably wouldn't cause anybody heartburn.
But, IMHO, how do you "guarantee" customer satisfaction? This is a word I would avoid. Working the word "Increasing Customer Satisfaction" into your statement would be my choice. And, "repetition -complaints/problems are being prevented asks "Really?" How so? No complaints or problems, say for the last month or last week? You have? Well, how can you say that they are being prevented? I wouldn't do that to you, but their are some very strange auditors who would love the opportunity to pounce on something like this. That's why I'm gunshy. :vfunny: There are some here in the Cove! Incoming!!:bonk: :ko: :smokin:

S

sneekparty

Well..

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick response...first to Jim...I see some procedures even working instructions as processes and some or not...

Energy you have made some good points...a remark on my side...to guarantee customer satisfaction is indeed almost impossible i'll redifine this...but on your comment on prevention of complaints...we do try to prevent that a certain complaint will come back in the near future...by setting corrective actions...it isn't that we can prevent all complaints because we get new ones every week....

Hope to hear your remarks..an other question..do you have pointers on how to formulate my goals in such a way that the auditor won't kill me :bonk:,

Thanks in advance,
Grtz,
Martin

E

energy

sneekparty said:

that repetition of those complaints and/or problems are being prevented"

Grtz,
Martin
martin,

I'm assuming that you are using the goal statement to precede the actual written procedure. This is an example of a purpose statement we use for our Customer Complaint/Feedback written procedure:

PURPOSE

To provide for a consistent method and instructions, and to assign responsibilities for receiving and processing customer feedback and complaints. Customer feedback and complaints
become an integral part of Jim's Widget's Management Review meetings as one method for measuring the effectiveness of the Quality Management System.

It explains the reason for, who is responsible, records, etc..and doesn't leave much to nit pick at, regarding the intitial statement, no matter what you call it. IMHO, keep them short, to point, factual.

As to the problems/complaints "being prevented", that's your call. You just have to be careful with how you catagorize the problems being reported. If I say I'm preventing, say, Packaging Complaints from this particular Customer and you show no recent packaging complaints from this Customer, you're golden. But, if you have Packaging Complaints from other Customers, it can get sticky. If you said that the goal is to standardize your XYZ's Packaging Procedure to eliminate all Customer packaging Complaints, at least that's open ended and allows for improvement.

Don't mind me, I get a little paranoid about "creative" ideas that I wouldn't be able to answer with facts. Good Luck.

;) :ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23
N A Goal without a Plan is just an Idea ... or - Management Review Meetings and related Processes 11
D Is Failure to achieve a Goal a Major Non-Conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B Issue CAR (Corrective Action Request) When KPI Fails to meet Goal Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
S Have you ever "used" an auditor to achieve a goal? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
B Corporate Goal about ISO 9001 Registrar Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Parts per Million Goal in an Engineer to Order Company Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S Objectives and Targets - Assessing a rate of achieving a goal Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
K Goal - Quality Manager at Global Company Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S Is "Zero Accidents" a realistic goal? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 101
W Benchmarking vs. Goal Setting - Differences Benchmarking 3
M Setting Up a Quality Measurement System - Part of a strategic goal to improve quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Marc Toyota Cuts Production Goal to 7-Year Low World News 1
C Need guideline for setting Training Goal Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
C Annual Goal - Goal and objective form for my annual performance review Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Definition Measurable Goal vs. Relevant Goal vs. Realistic Goal - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
J Difference between a Goal and an Objective within TQM Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P We Share A Common Goal - Printing, paper, and ink (and related) industries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
J Customer Satisfaction - Customer satisfaction goal/objective less than 100%? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
CarolX PPM Reduction Action Plans - Goal of 10 PPM's at Production Launch IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C What is the right method to set quality goal? Goal Setting 10X (68% improvement) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
I Policy & objectives for processes - Written process for policy/objective/goal setting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Hoeyster QM - Goal: Eliminate "Final Inspection" - Aerospace precision machining AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J What is difference between the goal of PPAP with APQP, thanks APQP and PPAP 4
C ISO 9001:2000 - Main goal of a communications process in any organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R The Goal - by Eli Goldratt - A new way of looking at productivity Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
L Sample Procedure from Contract Manufacturer Prospective ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Roles and accountabilities procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
M EU MDR - RA procedure for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A MAH license transfer (medical device registrant) procedure in Indonesia Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
V Datron 4707 or 4708 33K, NAVAIR or TB cal procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1