Golf Ball Parts for Breakfast!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
:notme:

McCain recalls Roundy’s, Harris Teeter potatoes for golf balls (Source :evidence: )

McCain Foods USA Inc. is recalling retail, frozen hash brown products that may be contaminated with extraneous golf ball materials.

The company posted the recall notice with the Food and Drug Administration, stating “despite our stringent supply standards (the golf balls) may have been inadvertently harvested with potatoes used to make this product. Consumption of these products may pose a choking hazard or other physical injury to the mouth.”​

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I was a kid last time I tried to cut up a golf ball. Never really succeeded.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
This seems odd to me. Potatoes grow underground. There are rocks underground. Somehow they can manage to sort the rocks out of the harvest as well as all the vegetation above ground, but not the golf balls. :confused:

Coincidentally, my in-laws have a farm next to a golf course. There is no shortage of balls that end up in their fields. Fortunately the cows have never complained about golf balls in their hay. :notme:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I posted this because it was so unique. I personally wouldn't put it past someone with a grudge to have put that golf ball in their process on purpose. I remember when I was working in car airbags in the early days. We did x-raying and one day a somewhat large piece of metal was detected. We never figured out who did it, but we did an exhaustive investigation (the FBI was called in) and it wasn't human error.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
McCains must have some seriously rugged slicing and dicing equipment if it can cut up golf balls along with potatoes. :mg:
I used to do a really wicked job on the old balata covers with a five iron, leaving lots of "smileys" on golf courses around the country. In my old age, I've switched to surlyn covers, since I don't have the skill to take advantage of the backspin capability of urethane covers. I also only hit about 2/3 as far as I used to (no hip and knee flexibility.) The only plus in my game today is that I work the course much smarter than I did in my youth, recognizing I can use a three iron when a much better golfer pulls out a six iron.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Measuring a Golf Club Face/Grip/Shaft Rotation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S Golf Academies - Need your suggestions Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Peter Fraser "The best golf course in the world" World News 8
R Golf Humor Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
J ISO 9001 applied to the game of golf ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Crusader Losing a friend / co-worker (some golf history here too) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Manix Monster VW GOLF W12 - The Stuff Dreams are Made of! World News 2
Crusader Golf Handicap - Help me determine my golf handicap Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
C Golf - The Golfers Thread Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
B New Golf Instruction book Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
L Golf Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
M 15.3.3 Ball Impact Test requirements in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Ball Bearing V-Blocks to ensure Lobing and Roundness are Minimal Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A JEDEC Std to use as reference for a package of size of 29x29mm with 0.8mm ball pitch Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
S Minitab and Crystal Ball Statistical Analysis Software Using Minitab Software 13
J IEC 60601 (Steel Ball Impact Test) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Wes Bucey Did somebody drop the ball at Boeing? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 38
smryan Does the NIST certificate that came with my new ball-bar have any value? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
C Sunday Morning Curve Ball - Auditing Racing Stables or Similar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T AS9102 FAI - What is a distributor of ball bearings supposed to do? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Scrap, Control or Marking - Ball Bearing Distribution and Re-Lubrication AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Marc Happy 100th birthday to Lucille Ball World News 3
M DFAR Ball Bearings - DFARS 252.225.7014 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Ring Gauges P.D Formula using "Ball Rounded Teeth" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
G Effects of CMM Probe Tip Ball Size measuring a Round Part OD - CMM Help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
Sidney Vianna AS9100 Revision C Transition - A curve ball AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
bobdoering How's this for a probability function? Player Hits Own Mom With Foul Ball Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
P Sample Manufacturing Method for Ball Drop Test of Automotive Tempered Glass General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D ASTM E-18 Annex A3 - Ball and Diamond Indenters Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Score One for the Team - I had to ball up and tell the bosses Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Z Injection Molding cycle time benchmarking - Ball State University student Benchmarking 10
Sidney Vianna Ball Memorial Hospital - The first Indiana hospital to receive NIAHO accreditation Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
I How Must Safety Integrity Level (SIL) For Ball Valves Be Calculated? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J Large CMM Calibration - Tetronom or Giant Ball Bar General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Ball Grid Array (BGA) component Incoming Inspection IPC-7095 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
K Play this game. Try to kick the ball & beat me !! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
K Crystal Ball Methodology - reading customers' minds? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A AS9100D 8.1.4 Prevention of Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Do you classify applied parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Defib-proof applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4