SBS - The best value in QMS software

Golf Handicap - Help me determine my golf handicap

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Any golfers out there who can help me determine my handicap?
I am female and I play from the men's (white) tee markers. I can smack that little white dimpled ball pretty good - good enough to play from those tees...but not like a manly smack! :lol:

My question is how do I determine my handicap from those tees? Should I factor in the women's slope rating? Or should I use the men's ratings?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Lee said:
Any golfers out there who can help me determine my handicap?
I am female and I play from the men's (white) tee markers. I can smack that little white dimpled ball pretty good - good enough to play from those tees...but not like a manly smack! :lol:

My question is how do I determine my handicap from those tees? Should I factor in the women's slope rating? Or should I use the men's ratings?
Start here http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/handicaps.html and don't hesitate to send specific questions directly to USGA.

Personally, as I get older and older, I am tempted to play from the red tees myself! When I was young and carrying a single-digit handicap, I was still playing with persimmon wood drivers and fairway woods. Now I've added a Big Bertha to my bag, but I can't hit anywhere near as far as I could 30 years ago with those tiny real woods. I don't get to play often enough to establish a real handicap, but I expect it would be creeping up in the high teens, maybe even the high twenties. Thank goodness the operative phrase is still: "Drive for show, putt for dough!" or I would be paying out a lot at the nineteenth hole.

I watched Michelle Wie on the Golf Channel a few weeks ago and know that the best game I ever played would not have beat her. She seems like a picture-perfect golfer plus she seems to have real "course savvy."

My dad was a pretty good golfer and he had only one rule: "Keep the ball in the short grass!"

Crusader

Wes Bucey said:
Start here http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/handicaps.html and don't hesitate to send specific questions directly to USGA.
Thanks for the tip. I played yesterday and shot 108. That is an improvement from 114! I am playing again on Memorial Day. Hopefully another improvement will happen. I'm just getting back into the game so I hope to lower my score each time I play. I used to be in the 90's.

The new, younger players are all inspiring!! We've noticed that they are also more 'fit" nowadays than in the past.

Crusader

Lee said:
Thanks for the tip. I played yesterday and shot 108. That is an improvement from 114! I am playing again on Memorial Day. Hopefully another improvement will happen. I'm just getting back into the game so I hope to lower my score each time I play. I used to be in the 90's.

The new, younger players are all inspiring!! We've noticed that they are also more 'fit" nowadays than in the past.
I need to correct myself...I previously shot a 116 not a 114. BUT, I play from the Men's tees, which is a slight disadvantage in scoring. If I were to play from the Women's tees, I would have a better score. I can drive 200+.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Lee said:

I used to be in the 90's. Which color tees? Red, White, Blue, Gold? I was in a foursome last summer where three of us played from the White and the fourth guy from the gold and his drive was ALWAYS closer to the hole! The only time we talked to him was as we walked off each green - he'd go one way and we'd go another. The big laugh was that he came in third in the foursome. I edged him by one stroke, all due to putting, certainly not woods or long irons. The number 1 guy beat me by 8 strokes - his putter was as hot as mine and his irons were MUCH better.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Like everyone else who plays, I don't play as much as I'd like to. I've never been very good, but when I was much younger and very bad my friend and I were paired up with another twosome whom we didn't know, and who were both much better than we were. Along about the 4th hole, after I had topped, shanked, or otherwise blown four consecutive drives, one of the other two asked me if I'd mind if he gave me a tip. "Not at all," I replied, "if you see something I'm doing wrong, by all means tell me."

He hesitated for a moment and said, "Well, I think your main problem is that you're standing too close to the ball."
"Really?" I said, "I'll try to back up a little and see what happens."
"No," he said, "I mean after you hit it."

Crusader

The temptation is too much! I am going to start tracking my game! :lol:
Thanks for the weblink. I WILL break 100...it is just a matter of time. (I actaully did it a few times about 10 years ago.) I've only played 3 times in the last 8 months and I am going to try to play once a month. This weekend, I am squeezing in 2 rounds. I play again tomorrow-Memorial Day. :biglaugh: All this golf and walking helps me get my 10,000 min steps/day in for the Virtual Walk...in the other Cove forum - Our Team is called The Elsmar Walk-Covers! Yesterday's round of golf got me 12,000+ steps.

L

Laura M

Re: Golf Handicap - Help me determine my handicap

Hi Lee - and nice shooting. Every once in awhile I hit the 200 yard drive. But I'm just as capable of a duff. So it's red tees for me.

As far as determining your handicap, I'm assuming you are not a member of a club, because most clubs with membership have a USGA posting system, where you post all your scores, and you get a USGA registered handicap. It's included in my clubs membership, but some semi-private and public courses offer it for a nominal fee.

There will be 2 handicaps - the USGA handicap, and then the one for the 'slope' - or difficulty of your course. The handicap number, however, is based on the best 10 or 20 rounds (can't remember), because it is the number that would be used if you were in a tournament. It doesn't matter if you play the whites or reds, you just post the score based on the tees you did play. (The white slope should be higher, or more difficult) Can you imagine how it worked before computers!!!!!

Out of curiousity, why the whites? I mean, a 200 yard drive is great, but typically the reds are adjusted so the second shot for men and ladies is at approx the same spot, typically around the 150 for a par 4.

For correlation, I 'average' I think at my club. The scores that have 'counted' for my handicap (see above) are around 105-107. I shot 113 a couple weeks ago (yuck!) The slope at our course is a little above average, so my USGA is a 26.4 and my local is a 29.

As far as virtual walk - I didn't have a pedometer, so I just counted the yardage, even tho I definately don't walk right down the middle! I figure a yard/step. 18 holes is approx 12K steps?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Golf Handicap - Help me determine my handicap

Laura M said:
Hi Lee - and nice shooting. Every once in awhile I hit the 200 yard drive. But I'm just as capable of a duff. So it's red tees for me.

As far as determining your handicap, I'm assuming you are not a member of a club, because most clubs with membership have a USGA posting system, where you post all your scores, and you get a USGA registered handicap. It's included in my clubs membership, but some semi-private and public courses offer it for a nominal fee.

There will be 2 handicaps - the USGA handicap, and then the one for the 'slope' - or difficulty of your course. The handicap number, however, is based on the best 10 or 20 rounds (can't remember), because it is the number that would be used if you were in a tournament. It doesn't matter if you play the whites or reds, you just post the score based on the tees you did play. (The white slope should be higher, or more difficult) Can you imagine how it worked before computers!!!!!

Out of curiousity, why the whites? I mean, a 200 yard drive is great, but typically the reds are adjusted so the second shot for men and ladies is at approx the same spot, typically around the 150 for a par 4.

For correlation, I 'average' I think at my club. The scores that have 'counted' for my handicap (see above) are around 105-107. I shot 113 a couple weeks ago (yuck!) The slope at our course is a little above average, so my USGA is a 26.4 and my local is a 29.

As far as virtual walk - I didn't have a pedometer, so I just counted the yardage, even tho I definately don't walk right down the middle! I figure a yard/step. 18 holes is approx 12K steps?
Re: It's included in my clubs membership, but some semi-private and public courses offer it for a nominal fee.
I notice a lot of folks prefer to play on a variety of courses, rather than just the same one every time when they are not members of a particular club. Thus said, many park district and municipal courses will maintain your handicap for a very modest fee if you bring in your scorecard from other courses with the slope rating and everything, regardless of whether you play more than an occasional practice round at the municipal course. Check http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/getting_a_handicap/finding_golf_club.html
If you do maintain a handicap, you should also invest the $15 to $25 for a yearly membership in USGA if for no other reason than to get the annual updated rule book. (a lot cheaper than ASQ membership and much more fun to talk about.)

My most fun in the past five years was working as a marshal at the US Open at Olympia Fields in 2003 (south suburb of Chicago.)

Crusader

Laura M said:

Thanks! No I am not a member of the USGA. I am just getting back into playing from a 10yr halt! I did go to the link that Wes referred and my husband was able to create a spreadsheet in Excel using their guide for handicap calculations. Why the White tees? Because that's where the boys play from. I either hit short or out-drive them. We all play about the same game. My new Taylor-Made R7 CGB Max Men's irons are freakin' awesome and have improved my game. Yes, I use Men's irons because my swing speed is fast for Women's clubs. Women's clubs are too whippy and I lose a lot of distance and direction! I shot a 108 last Saturday and 116 on Monday - I was really tired but treaded on anyway. Not too bad. I got 2 real par's on Monday!! Yippee! Yeah, the steps came out around 12k+. I think my handicap right now after 3 scores is about 31-35. I used to shoot 95-105 and am hoping to get there and improve it.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Measuring a Golf Club Face/Grip/Shaft Rotation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Marc Golf Ball Parts for Breakfast! World News 8
S Golf Academies - Need your suggestions Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Peter Fraser "The best golf course in the world" World News 8
R Golf Humor Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
J ISO 9001 applied to the game of golf ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Crusader Losing a friend / co-worker (some golf history here too) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Manix Monster VW GOLF W12 - The Stuff Dreams are Made of! World News 2
C Golf - The Golfers Thread Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
B New Golf Instruction book Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
L Golf Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
W How many handicap parking places are required? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
T Help with BS EN ISO - IEC 80079-34 2020 (Explosive atmospheres QMS) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Help with basic understanding of Competence requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Reliability Testing - Weibull Analysis Help Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7