GR&R for a Stopwatch used to check a built-in Machine Timer

sinned

Registered Visitor
All,
We are using a stopwatch to check if the build-in machine timer is able to correctly stop the mixing machine at a specific time span setting (tol.=+/-10sec; the mixing time is not a critical parameter affecting the quality of the product). The stopwatch itself has been calibrated for accuracy.

Shall we need to do GR&R ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW, I wouldn't.

{and I'd likely smack the guy who told me I had to...}

Using a calibrated stopwatch to gage +/- 10 seconds on a non-critical item...why bother doing the extra paperwork? As long as you don't fall asleep watching the thing, it seems pretty easy.
I'm not even sure I would have bothered calibrating the stopwatch if time is not critical.

HTH

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
agreed. a gage R&R on the stopwatch is not warranted

as an aside, the largest component of measurement variation with a stopwatch is the reaction time of the user. :cool:

sinned

Registered Visitor
Thank to all.

In fact, we care only the accuracy of the timer. I told the calibration dept guy that if they can directly calibrate the accuracy of the build-in machine timer, then the whole thing of using stopwatch to check can be eliminated. Now our MSA expert ask us to do GR&R for everything on the control plan, including the stopwatch and tachometer. Or, otherwise, remove the control from the control plan...

What can we do? We really done it...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
It shouldn't be hard to revise the FMEA and from that revise the control plan. But, keep a history of revisions and rational for doing so. If you had meeting(s) to discuss the changes, keep meeting minutes to support your reasons for the changes.

Look at this as continuous improvement and cost reduction.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R IEC 60601-1 - Magnesium oxide used for the electrical insulation of heating elements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R Nanomaterials used as coating on class I MD - rule 19 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D Can PFMEA be used in disposition of NC material? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q LOT or Serial Number Symbol not used when the information is contained in the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
R Foam mattresses used in hospitals - compliance with MDR requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
I Custom software services to be used by medical software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
R PMCF - centers/countries used CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K EU MDR Rule 11 - Does the 'Risk logic' used in Rule 11 conflict with that used in the other rules? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Can calibrated device values be used instead of manufacturers spec? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Informational US FDA – URGENT/11 Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities in a Widely-Used Third-Party Software Component May Introduce Risks During Use of Certain Medical Dev Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Recommendation about h and k values when CUSUM charts are used Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Can Brazil approval be used for other countries in Latin America? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Do we need to validate Software used in Drug discovery and development process? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
O Validation approach for a Photostability Chamber (used for fluid therapy and injectable drug products) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
K Verifying gas tight glass syringe used for making standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Regs for non-medical product to be used in hospitals - 61326 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Is Design Validation required for fixtures or test systems used to manufacture a product? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Informational US FDA final guidance Characterization of Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) Used in Orthopedic Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
N What subcommands can be used with "Stop" in Minitab 18? Using Minitab Software 8
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
W Literature used in the clinical evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Oxygen enriched environment applicability - Operating table used in general surgeries in hospital IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W IEC 60601-1-2 Susceptibility/Immunity for device intended to be used in patient body IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Ninja Favorite (oft used) sayings... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A What ISO 9001:2015 clause could be used to write nonconformance for not updating licensed driver list? General Auditing Discussions 8
TheMightyWife Copyright for articles used in CER (Clinical Evaluation Report) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L Requirements for cables used with Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Used active medical devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S When should a note-to-file be used in a QMS vs Deviation Report ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Medical Device Process validation, Validation of excel spreadsheets used for process Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4