GR&R for Torque application

DavidJ.BlackII

Starting to get Involved
Hello all,

I am looking for advice on what kind of GRR to perform on a assembly line process. In our production plant we have audit stations to compare to our atlas copco transducers on the line. These audit stations have clicker-style calibration certified wrenches at each, and are used on housing bolts to determine if they were tightened to print specifications, or if they will breakaway before the minimum value is reached.

I believe either an attribute study or a cap study is the correct format, but am unable to determine between the two. The test seems more destructive as once the bolt is loosened you can’t breakaway on the same bolt again, so would it be an attribute study? But (if I’m correct) an attribute study wouldn’t give me a Cpk value to make a final decision, and I wouldn’t be able to validate whether or not the gage is capable. Any help is appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Have you ever detected a problem with your Atlas-Copco system? Using a clicker style torque wrench to evaluate an Atlas-Copco system strikes me as similar to using a tape measure to inspect after a micrometer, and non-value-added. The Atlas-Copco system has its own built-in measurement system. Plus, as you mentioned, breakaway torque is not measuring the same characteristic as the run-down torque.

DavidJ.BlackII

Starting to get Involved
Have you ever detected a problem with your Atlas-Copco system? Using a clicker style torque wrench to evaluate an Atlas-Copco system strikes me as similar to using a tape measure to inspect after a micrometer, and non-value-added. The Atlas-Copco system has its own built-in measurement system. Plus, as you mentioned, breakaway torque is not measuring the same characteristic as the run-down torque.
It feels counterintuitive but we were given a non-conformance for not having a R&R for our audit torque wrench stations. It seems that specifically we have to calibrate all of our measuring equipment, and then perform R&Rs on each equipment type for each type of inspection they do to determine if said equipment is capable of accurately measuring that feature. The redundancy is palpable. We’ll have a vendor come in and service our Promess presses, and then the engineers have to do studies to ensure that what the software is relaying to us is accurate (using a calibrated strain gage and load cell kit).

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
You may find my blog post on Non-replicable measurement systems helpful. In your application, I would recommend the "consecutive specimens" taken across multiple setups approach.

You did not answer my question. If you have not seen an issue with the Atlas-Copco equipment, eliminate the audit.

Matt's Quality Handle

Involved In Discussions
You did not answer my question. If you have not seen an issue with the Atlas-Copco equipment, eliminate the audit.
Not OP, but perhaps the audit is useful in finding bolts that were skipped instead of bolts that were undertorqued by the Atlas-Copco equipment. The equipment is more than capable, but the audit could be targeting a "manpower" or "method" problem, not a "measurement" issue.

It does seem counterproductive to verify the values of a higher accuracy method with a lower accuracy method.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Not OP, but perhaps the audit is useful in finding bolts that were skipped instead of bolts that were undertorqued by the Atlas-Copco equipment. The equipment is more than capable, but the audit could be targeting a "manpower" or "method" problem, not a "measurement" issue.

It does seem counterproductive to verify the values of a higher accuracy method with a lower accuracy method.
The Atlas-Copco equipment that we use also keeps track of how many bolts are supposed to be torqued vs. how many were torqued.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Automatic torque device checking FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Torque tool calibration Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
T Sensitivity Coefficient for Nm Torque Analyzer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B M85049 backshell strain relief screw torque Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
D Torque fractional unit of measure; cN-m or N-cm? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D How about another torque discussion? Assembly processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Yet another torque question... Assembly processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Chrysler is requesting a "Torque Strategy" for all Fastener Joints FMEA and Control Plans 7
T Adding an adapter to a Torque Meter to change the Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B How to do an MSA on an Automated Torque / Angle System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Standard torque values for threaded fasteners AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
sonflowerinwales Torque of nuts and bolts, which one should you use? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
J Calibration Merry Go Round - Torque Wrenches and Testers Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
I Torque-Tension Testing on Automotive Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Torque Wrench Calibration Interval Extension with Non-Use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
W Torque Wrench Calibration question Service Industry Specific Topics 9
K MSA for Torque Dynamometer in Stepping Motor Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Preventing Torque Wrench Deterioration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
B Digital Torque Meter Gage R&R General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Which Torque Meter do I choose based on CpK studies ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Torque Wrench Calibration/Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
Q Need help on MSA study on a torque analyzer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J How to measure Loosening and Tightening Torque (VDA 5 - MSA) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Proud Liberal Torque Measurement Around A Rivet Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Torque Tester Calibration Traceability and Certificate question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Should we immediately have recalibrated our Digital Torque Gauge? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Pneumatic Torque Wrench Calibration Procedure Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
W Measuring the Dial Torque of Plastic Insulin Pen devices Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
D How to conduct a Gage R&R on DC Tools to Torque Bolts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Motor Stall Torque Failure after Changing Supply of Cyclindrical Gears Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M How to perform a Gage R&R on Torque Wrenches Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C How to Calibrate and Verify Torque Multiplier Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
hogheavenfarm Is there a relatively inexpensive method of Calibrating our Torque Wrenches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Control Plans - Evaluation Measurement Technique Column - Torque Control FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Customer has supplied torque specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Q Defining Torque Requirement for Screwing Power Module onto Heatsink Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Gage R&R for Torque Device (Non - Replicable Measurement Systems) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T why CPK <1.0 regarding two pieces of control charts of torque wrench? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Q Torque Wrench Issue - Incorrect method to collect the "as found data" Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
MarilynJ6354 Torque Wrench Calibration Frequency (Calibration Interval) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 38