GR&R on Torque Wrenches - Seeking Example

cpine

Registered Visitor
Anyone out there have an example of performing GR&R on a torque wrench.

I have some ideas however I'm not sure that they are valid.

As always, thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Respectfully,

Cpine

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

sjvasudevan

hi...ur query is interesting....and never thought of.

I am also looking for inputs in this. Thanks in advance for responding,

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
cpine said:
Anyone out there have an example of performing GR&R on a torque wrench.

I have some ideas however I'm not sure that they are valid.

As always, thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Respectfully,

Cpine
Check the AIAG MSA manual (I think it's Section 3, but maybe not) for methods of doing "destructive" MSA. (It's classified as destructive because the operators can't measure exactly the same thing each time.) It's Sunday, so I don't have any reference materials at hand, but I'll check this thread again tomorrow.

cpine

Registered Visitor
Just Confused

:bonk:

I thought of Nested ANOVA and if I were doing destructive testing, typically I would test the part to failure. With a torque wrench that would'nt be the case.

I must be missing an important part of the equation any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Cpine

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
cpine said:
:bonk:

I thought of Nested ANOVA and if I were doing destructive testing, typically I would test the part to failure. With a torque wrench that would'nt be the case.

I must be missing an important part of the equation any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Cpine
"Destructive," in this sense, doesn't mean that the parts get destroyed. It just means that the analysis must proceed as though the parts were getting destroyed, because the same measurement can't be made twice, as it can be when measuring a static part with calipers, for example.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
You really need to answer the question of how you are using the torque wrench first. Are you using it as a gage, or are you using it as the process itself?

In most cases, the torque wrench/driver is the process and should be evaluated with control charts and a capability study. The torque analyzer used to set a torque driver would be considered a gage and could be evaluated using a gage R&R.

S

sjvasudevan

If it is a dynamic torque analyser , it is considered to be similar to destructive test as we cannot measure the same part again.

Static Torque analyser can be done for GRR......but its only evaluating the driver not the torque wrench which is used to measure the torque in the tightened part.....am i right?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Calibration Merry Go Round - Torque Wrenches and Testers Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
M How to perform a Gage R&R on Torque Wrenches Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
hogheavenfarm Is there a relatively inexpensive method of Calibrating our Torque Wrenches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Gage R&R for torque wrenches - Fixed values ranging from 7.5 to 200Nm Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Torque wrenches and drivers - How to perform MSA (measurement system analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C Calibration of Torque Wrenches and Screwdrivers using Torque mate 200 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Gage R&R - Digital Torque Wrenches - 5-50 nM range units Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Y MSA - Torque Wrenches - Statistical studies that cover requirements of MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B M85049 backshell strain relief screw torque Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
D Torque fractional unit of measure; cN-m or N-cm? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D How about another torque discussion? Assembly processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Yet another torque question... Assembly processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Chrysler is requesting a "Torque Strategy" for all Fastener Joints FMEA and Control Plans 7
T Adding an adapter to a Torque Meter to change the Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B How to do an MSA on an Automated Torque / Angle System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Standard torque values for threaded fasteners AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
sonflowerinwales Torque of nuts and bolts, which one should you use? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
I Torque-Tension Testing on Automotive Parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
D Torque Wrench Calibration Interval Extension with Non-Use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
W Torque Wrench Calibration question Service Industry Specific Topics 9
K MSA for Torque Dynamometer in Stepping Motor Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Preventing Torque Wrench Deterioration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
B Digital Torque Meter Gage R&R General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Which Torque Meter do I choose based on CpK studies ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
AshleyE Torque Wrench Calibration/Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
Q Need help on MSA study on a torque analyzer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J How to measure Loosening and Tightening Torque (VDA 5 - MSA) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Proud Liberal Torque Measurement Around A Rivet Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Torque Tester Calibration Traceability and Certificate question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Should we immediately have recalibrated our Digital Torque Gauge? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Pneumatic Torque Wrench Calibration Procedure Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
W Measuring the Dial Torque of Plastic Insulin Pen devices Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
D How to conduct a Gage R&R on DC Tools to Torque Bolts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Motor Stall Torque Failure after Changing Supply of Cyclindrical Gears Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C How to Calibrate and Verify Torque Multiplier Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Control Plans - Evaluation Measurement Technique Column - Torque Control FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Customer has supplied torque specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Q Defining Torque Requirement for Screwing Power Module onto Heatsink Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Gage R&R for Torque Device (Non - Replicable Measurement Systems) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T why CPK <1.0 regarding two pieces of control charts of torque wrench? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2