Granite Surface Plates - Maintenance, DOs and DON'Ts

S

Sorin

Need help to lacate a documented source for how to maintain, what to and not to do when using a Marble table for dimensional inspection.
I know all those but I need a documented source to be "more" convincing...don't ask :D

Thank you in advance.... :thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: Marble Table - Maintenance, DOs and DON'Ts

Is it really marble (i.e. calcium carbonate), instead of ordinary or high-quartz granite?

If it's actually marble, there might be some special technical requirements that wouldn't be obvious to persons familiar with the "ordinary" maintenance and operational needs of granite surface plates.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Need help to lacate a documented source for how to maintain, what to and not to do when using a Marble table for dimensional inspection.
I know all those but I need a documented source to be "more" convincing...don't ask :D

Thank you in advance.... :thanx:
Stijloor's supplied some useful links, but you should be aware that surface plates (not "tables"--don't put ideas in peoples' heads :D) are made of granite.

In general, keep them clean (Starrett sells cleaning supplies for them), keep them covered when not in use, and don't allow a surface plate to be used for anything other than its intended purpose.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Is it really marble (i.e. calcium carbonate), instead of ordinary or high-quartz granite?

If it's actually marble, there might be some special technical requirements that wouldn't be obvious to persons familiar with the "ordinary" maintenance and operational needs of granite surface plates.
I don't think there is such a thing as a marble surface plate.

J

justncredible

I have never seen a marble surface plate. If it is a table and not a surface plate, you would not want to use it to measure parts on.

A surface plate is a calibrated tool, it has a known flatness and is graded on the flatness. If you are useing a granite surface plate and are unsure of it, the first thing is to get it calibrated. You will have to call a calibration service, the gages used to check the flatness cost a unbelivible amount of money. Once they grade the plate then all you do is keep it clean, some people use gojo, some use denatured 100% alcohol, I use starret surface plate cleaner. Any of the ways you clean it you must apply and wipe until the cleaner is gone, then use a fresh clean rag and wipe it again. That is done to remove any residue from the cleaning product. A surface plate is a Tool, and should be treated as a tool.

S

Sorin

Thanks for all the advices.

I get carried and used the floor talk. This thread is about
Granite Surface Plates

Is that politically, scientifically and gramatically correct? ;)

Thank you again....

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

Thanks for all the advices.

I get carried and used the floor talk. This thread is about
Granite Surface Plates

Is that politically, scientifically and gramatically correct? ;)

Thank you again....
Hi Sorin,

I have retitled this thread - and if you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will find links to similar thread.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I don't think there is such a thing as a marble surface plate.
It's obvious you don't visit
Marble Slab Creamery (http://www.marbleslab.com/)
or
Cold Stone Creamery (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/) (their stones are actually "granite' - but I'm not clear on what grade)

I think the major difference between marble and granite is the ambient temperature for "normalizing" the plate for calibration purposes!:lmao:

I'm pretty sure the fudge and salt water taffy industries use these plates, too!:tg:

I, personally, of course, make all surveillance audits to these suppliers!:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CCaantley Where to get a good test indicator stand for a granite surface plate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
L Flat Surface Granite Table Calibration Requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 16
C Surface Plate Calibration - How to verify the flatness of a granite surface plate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E Granite Surface Plate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C CMM Granite too hard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Granite Plate Resurfacing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Auditor has requested that the granite table in the lab be Calibrated Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 19
C Recommended Sealing for Granite Top in a Clean Room US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
DietCokeofEvil Calibration - Granite Plates or Aluminum Plates for Acclimating General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Regarding external surface temperature limit requirement for lab incubators. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
DuncanGibbons Typical Surface Roughness Requirements for Aviation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I Good Surface Plate Suppliers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Capability calculation of surface profile Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 20
S Alcohol based cleaner for Food Contact Surface? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
V EN ISO 10993-1, Category of surface device by nature of body contact Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
W Surface Profile All-Around AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Is there a direct relation between surface roughness and gloss? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D CED Coating in Cast iron surface Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
S Surface roughness Rz Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L GD&T Position for surface Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
K Surface finish (Evaluation Length) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Ron Rompen Surface Finish Correlation between Ra, Rz and Tp (bearing surface ratio) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Surface scratch measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Surface Roughness understanding Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Design and Manufacture Guidelines for Surface Mount Technology Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
8 Surface Finish - Callout as 8 - 16 Rq Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Active Surface Disinfectant Claims - FDA vs EPA and Hands vs Objects Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
GoKats78 Callout on Surface Finish General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
P Gas Nitriding Surface Hardening of Stainless Steel 304 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Difference between Surface Finish (Ra) and Flatness (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
N Creepage - Does a surface mount isolator body negate a PCB slot? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
M Interesting Discussion Surface Cleanliness Real Time Test Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Reporting Profile of a surface with U modifier Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Response Surface Method to create design matrix in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
Proud Liberal Surface finish measurement (roughness) - Rz under the ISO standard vs ANSI standard Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
Proud Liberal Measuring axial and radial surface finish (16 Rz) on a broached internal radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
O Can a Profile of a Surface have a Diameter Symbol? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Surface Roughness - Conversion of RS on a Print to RZ General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S ARP 1820 Surface Contamination Testing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
N Projection welding of nuts on zinc coated surface Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Can a Surface of a profile be applied to a feature of size? GD&T questions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
alonFAI Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Stainless Steel Surface Quality for Ophthalmic Surgical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
J Profile of Surface with Basics and Angle Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
E Help me with Surface Plate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10