Granite Surface Plates - Maintenance, DOs and DON'Ts

S

Sorin

Need help to lacate a documented source for how to maintain, what to and not to do when using a Marble table for dimensional inspection.
I know all those but I need a documented source to be "more" convincing...don't ask :D

Thank you in advance.... :thanx:

M

MIREGMGR

Re: Marble Table - Maintenance, DOs and DON'Ts

Is it really marble (i.e. calcium carbonate), instead of ordinary or high-quartz granite?

If it's actually marble, there might be some special technical requirements that wouldn't be obvious to persons familiar with the "ordinary" maintenance and operational needs of granite surface plates.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Need help to lacate a documented source for how to maintain, what to and not to do when using a Marble table for dimensional inspection.
I know all those but I need a documented source to be "more" convincing...don't ask :D

Thank you in advance.... :thanx:
Stijloor's supplied some useful links, but you should be aware that surface plates (not "tables"--don't put ideas in peoples' heads :D) are made of granite.

In general, keep them clean (Starrett sells cleaning supplies for them), keep them covered when not in use, and don't allow a surface plate to be used for anything other than its intended purpose.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Is it really marble (i.e. calcium carbonate), instead of ordinary or high-quartz granite?

If it's actually marble, there might be some special technical requirements that wouldn't be obvious to persons familiar with the "ordinary" maintenance and operational needs of granite surface plates.

I don't think there is such a thing as a marble surface plate.

J

justncredible

I have never seen a marble surface plate. If it is a table and not a surface plate, you would not want to use it to measure parts on.

A surface plate is a calibrated tool, it has a known flatness and is graded on the flatness. If you are useing a granite surface plate and are unsure of it, the first thing is to get it calibrated. You will have to call a calibration service, the gages used to check the flatness cost a unbelivible amount of money. Once they grade the plate then all you do is keep it clean, some people use gojo, some use denatured 100% alcohol, I use starret surface plate cleaner. Any of the ways you clean it you must apply and wipe until the cleaner is gone, then use a fresh clean rag and wipe it again. That is done to remove any residue from the cleaning product. A surface plate is a Tool, and should be treated as a tool.

S

Sorin

Thanks for all the advices.

I get carried and used the floor talk. This thread is about
Granite Surface Plates

Is that politically, scientifically and gramatically correct? ;)

Thank you again....

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

Thanks for all the advices.

I get carried and used the floor talk. This thread is about
Granite Surface Plates

Is that politically, scientifically and gramatically correct? ;)

Thank you again....

Hi Sorin,

I have retitled this thread - and if you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will find links to similar thread.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I don't think there is such a thing as a marble surface plate.
It's obvious you don't visit
Marble Slab Creamery (http://www.marbleslab.com/)
or
Cold Stone Creamery (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/) (their stones are actually "granite' - but I'm not clear on what grade)

I think the major difference between marble and granite is the ambient temperature for "normalizing" the plate for calibration purposes!:lmao:

I'm pretty sure the fudge and salt water taffy industries use these plates, too!:tg:

I, personally, of course, make all surveillance audits to these suppliers!:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom