SBS - The best value in QMS software

Graph Choice For Monitoring DOA's (Dead On Arrival) and ELF's (Early Life Failures)

C

chergh - 2008

Currently as one of our KPI's we monitor the DOA (dead on arrival) and ELF (early life failure) rates. Currently we monitor these as percentages using the calculation:

No. of reported ELF's or DOA's/Total number of units shipped that month.

We have what a control level set for what we consider the maximum acceptable failure rate for these two items.

Some months a relativley small number of units may be shipped meaning that even 1 or 2 units being reported with either of these failure rates can send us over our target without there necessarily being a "real" issue.

To try and improve this, i.e. so when we go over target we can be sure it's not just 1 or 2 units skewing the percentage in a particular month, we are looking at changing to using a 3 month moving average, we typically have a spike in the number of units shipped at the end of each quarter for financial reasons so a 3 month moving average seems a sensible choice IMO.

My question is; is the 3 month moving average method I intend to use the best or even good method for doing this? Are there other methods that may be better ? and what are they?

Thought it would be better to get the opinion of some that are more knowledgable than myself before going to management with it.

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

Eric York - 2010

Re: Graph Choice For Monitoring DOA's and ELF's

A rolling average is a good way to "even out" percentage spikes that can arise due to low volume. Of course as you've certainly seen, the risk is that taking too long a period could mask what you might otherwise call an issue.

For a couple indicators we settled on a slight variation on what you are considering: a rolling average over a given volume instead "per time period". The advantage is that it minimizes percentage fluctuation due to volume changes when there are long periods with low volume. The disadvantage is that you need to be careful choosing the volume that is right for your operation. Too large, you risk not seeing small systematic increases for a while. Too small, you still risk "false" spikes.

Some groups have just stuck with the "old way", but always plot volume with the indicator.

If you want to get geeky, you can simulate some confidence interval estimations to help you decide where to set your volume or time period. Based on a hypothetical percentage of defects found, you can determine how wide your CI will be for any given sample size and decide if that is sufficient for your needs.

Cheers.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator

use a p chart with variable control limits based on 'sample size' (number of shipments per month. that is what the chart is for. It works. no need for the other 'fancy' and yet misleading approaches.

you might want to search for an article that Steve Prevette posted on alternate analysis methods. I believe it's called: "Case study of differing analysis techniques on the same data" or something like that. It shows the dangers of rolling averages etc.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

I cannot remember the details, but there is an alternate method for analyzing very low frequency failures that involves analysis of the time period between failures to detect changes rather than the failure rate.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

I cannot remember the details, but there is an alternate method for analyzing very low frequency failures that involves analysis of the time period between failures to detect changes rather than the failure rate.
One way is documented in Dr. Wheeler's book - Understanding Variation, and may be in a few of his others. I have posted the way I do it at Hanford using Dr. Wheeler's method at http://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/VPP_TrendLow-Rate.pdf

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator

another similar approach is covered in the thread
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=18249&highlight=geometric+distribution
on "cumulative count" charts for very low frequency. However, whether or not you use Wheeler's approach or the approach I've referenced be sure your situation applies. if the failure rate averages less than 1 in a measured period then you would use the charts for rare events, otherwise use the p chart.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
F How to copy a Minitab graph template Using Minitab Software 3
M Daily Temperature and Humidity Graph template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V Difference in Line Graph and Scatter Plot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M SPC, Moving Range Chart and Weighted Graph Basic Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Minitab macro to add reference line to graph Using Minitab Software 1
N Is there a formula to link words in Excel sheet to a graph? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
W Minitab I-MR Graph - How to delete a single data point from I-MR chart Using Minitab Software 2
Rameshwar25 Trendline-Linearity - Questions related to Linearity study graph Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Customer Inquiry - Graph showing the expansion of oil (mm) at different temperatures Service Industry Specific Topics 5
Rameshwar25 MSA Manual 4th Edition, Page 100 - What is wrong in the Linearity graph? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
B Plotting Probability Exceedance using the Probability Plot Graph in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
D How do I draw Graph a Mean & Range Chart & FIND CL UCL UCL for this data on Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Ajit Basrur How to show percentage in an Excel graph? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
K Graph Distribution Identification (standard, normal etc) from Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
B Minitab Comps of Variation Graph has % to Tolerance at 3 million %? Using Minitab Software 2
P Inner Diameter Surface Finish Ra Value vs. Surface Finish Graph Output Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
K Copy graph from Minitab to Excel! Using Minitab Software 1
J Customer Satisfaction Graph - Method of Collecting Customer Satisfaction Data ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Creating a Graph with 2 different Value axis in Excel .xls Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
N Creating Popup Comments on an Excel Graph Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
K X bar & R Chart Result - Analysis of the Graph Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
J Graphs from Minitab are Not Appearing in Words - EMBED Mtb.Graph Document? Using Minitab Software 4
I How to add a vertical reference line in my excel .xls bar graph Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
S Linearity study - What is required to draw graph and make decison based on the graph Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Project Motivation as a Graph Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D How to make a Three Dimensional graph using Excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
S Knee Implant (Femoral -Cobalt chrome)-Sub chronic toxicity test (ISO 10993-11)choice of root Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
P Choice of FDA reviewer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Supplier choice limitation - Many of them dont have PSCR, VDA or even ISO 9001 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
V Making a choice of Simple vs Comprehensiveness of Procedure/System of any Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N How to Stop Packaging Choice Mistakes on a Form Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
Wes Bucey Emerging industries and markets as a career choice Career and Occupation Discussions 5
M SPC software Measurlink7 - Good choice? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V Best value for choice/money - Smart phone vs tablet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Sidney Vianna Do you scrutinize your supplier's choice of certification body (registrar)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
J Choice of Control Limits - Customer wants to control at 4.5 sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
J Stores and Dispatch Training - Multiple choice questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Stijloor Chrysler names Denso its first 'Supplier of Choice' World News 1
U Some MCQ (muitiple choice questions) QA questions.... Software Quality Assurance 1
Tim Folkerts DOE: Choosing a Design - Factors that affect the choice of design The Reading Room 0
C Everything Calibration Multiple Choice Test Questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Is component engineering a good choice? Would age (in US) be a problem? Career and Occupation Discussions 0
N Vendor performance tracking - Software of choice? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
A TS 16949 Clear Choice For Automotive Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R TS 16949 becoming automotive standard of choice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 31
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
E Insulation diagram for ECG monitoring and diagnosis system. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1