GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester

S

Stevenli

Folks,

I knew there are many discussion about non-repeatable GRR or destructive GRR, one of the classic way is use so-called "NESTED" way e.g. in Minitab. Other than that, I try to get the help from you guys whether we can only monitor the stablity of test equipment over time with standard cupons or the actual samples from a short time window. Very typical equipement is material strength tester.

I believe it works in some cases, but want to double confirm from your expertise.

Thanks

Steven

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: GRR (repeatability and reproducibility) for Material strength tester

Your question is unclear. Are you asking whether stability testing is an acceptable substitute for an R&R study?

The two types of studies measure different aspects of a measurement system, and are not interchangeable. A stability study assesses whether a measurement system's bias (i.e., location) will drift over time whereas an R&R study assesses the spread or variation of the measurement system.

If your question is "Is it necessary to perform an R&R study?", it depends on many factors: your industry sector, do you have multiple operators or just one?, do you average multiple test results or throw out the highs and lows?, etc.

My MSA blog may be of assistance.

S

Stevenli

Re: GRR (repeatability and reproducibility) for Material strength tester

Your question is unclear. Are you asking whether stability testing is an acceptable substitute for an R&R study?

The two types of studies measure different aspects of a measurement system, and are not interchangeable. A stability study assesses whether a measurement system's bias (i.e., location) will drift over time whereas an R&R study assesses the spread or variation of the measurement system.

If your question is "Is it necessary to perform an R&R study?", it depends on many factors: your industry sector, do you have multiple operators or just one?, do you average multiple test results or throw out the highs and lows?, etc.

My MSA blog may be of assistance.
Miner, thank you. In fact, I want to clarify both items as you stated. Many people will ask it's a must to do GRR for above situation. Or we only verify stability (bias) with other variation source controlled by standard work etc.

Will review your MSA blog for more details.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
as Miner stated the two approaches you suggested as alternatives do not provide the same information as a Gage R&R. specimen prep, operator technique, any fixtures all contribute to measurement variation which you wouldn't see with coupons or ' tracking' actual results. using coupons (which are far less variable than real parts) is a calibration (accuracy) test, whereas R&R tests repeatability.

IF you track your actual results for a period of time AND the total variation remains well within tolerance then you know your measurement variation is negligible.

Since well designed R&R studies provide a wealth of information about your measurement systems, the real question here is: Why don't you want to do a Gage R&R?

S

Stevenli

Since well designed R&R studies provide a wealth of information about your measurement systems, the real question here is: Why don't you want to do a Gage R&R?
Yes, we'd like to do GRR for those wealth of information, however as the measurement system is non-repeatable/destructive, we don't think there is a well-deployed method cross the industry, either in Atuomative or other commercial industry. Another consideraton is the cost for destructive test. Your thoughts?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not sure why you think that the methods for destruct R&R are not well established...I can understand that the AIAG study design (10 parts measured 3X by 3 Operators) and analysis method are not very user friendly or informative.

Please see Measurement Systems Verification and Validation for a better study design and analysis methods that allow you to get the most information from your design.

What type of testing are you doing?
Some tests must be nested (the entire sample or part is consumed) but others can be done using the same sample (sub samples from a homogenous batch, multiple test locations for hardness or tensile testing...)

You can save money in the beginning by using only one operator and testing 15 parts twice. You can also perform the study by simply taking an extra reading for each sample submitted for standard testing...the MSA doesn't have to be completed all at once.

S

Stevenli

What type of testing are you doing?
Some tests must be nested (the entire sample or part is consumed) but others can be done using the same sample (sub samples from a homogenous batch, multiple test locations for hardness or tensile testing...)

You can save money in the beginning by using only one operator and testing 15 parts twice. You can also perform the study by simply taking an extra reading for each sample submitted for standard testing...the MSA doesn't have to be completed all at once.
Not sure whether you have any experience to share the GRR of tensile testing? This would be much helpful. Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B How to perform a MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) A&R/ANOVA Vs GUM/VDA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P New Part - How to choose what needs GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K The basics of GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F GRR (Gage R&R) with Different Scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
J Type 1 GRR (Gage R&R) on a One Sided Specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
I Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) Requirement for CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
Rameshwar25 What is the significance of Spread in Calculating GRR (Gage R&R)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Rameshwar25 GRR (Gage R&R) Nested Anova Method Example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 40
T When is GRR (Gage R&R) required? AIAG MSA Manual Version 4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
H GRR (Gage R&R) Study for Digital Temperature Gauge Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
L %GRR/TV or /TW for GRR of One Sided Specification - Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Gage R&R (GRR) Study - Please comment on the results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J Attribute GRR (Gage R&R) - How to get Kappa Software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D GRR (Gage R&R) procedure for Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T % Gage R&R Calculation - 100x(GRR/ (Spec/6)) or 100x(GRR/TV) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
O The Basis of %GRR (% Gage R&R) and other Statistics - Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
A Effect of %GRR (% Gage R&R) on Cpk Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
F GRR (Gage R&R aka GR&R) on Laser Gages for Plastic Extrusion Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
B Sampling in GRR - Why do we need 10 samples to do a Gage R&R? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Gage R&R study definition - Results for GRR is .0005 - What does this number tell me? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B How to get a sample that covers Process Variation for GRR (Gage R&R) study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
P Can anyone suggest a GRR procedure for a Multi step plug gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Best Gage R&R (GR&R - GRR) Method for Product Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O Gage R&R Related Terms - EV, %EV, AV, %AV, GRR, %GRR, PV, %PV, TV, and P/T Ratio Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
O GRR (Gage R&R) Method for Camera Vision Inspection System Hardware and Software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
A Cg, Cgk and GRR of a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
V Minitab GRR crossed Xbar and r method macro needed Using Minitab Software 9
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Minitab 18: How to automate GRR Summary Table save Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J Question on very low NDC number with tolerable GRR ratio's Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
C Evaluating GRR Scores %Tol vs %TV Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
S GRR on ID with set of pin gauges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Q What does % study variation of 20% mean in GRR? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
C %GRR <10% not possible. How to get approval by auditor? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
V GRR Study on a Finished Product - Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Script of R software to conduct Nested GRR for Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Hypothesis test for Bias, not for GRR. WHY ?? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Calculating part variation from historic data for GRR study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Need MSA %GRR Interpretation Advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M GRR approach for off line Measuring Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Does anyone have the GRR Formula? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
T MSA - Should I compare my GRR to tolerance or to my sample? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
D What the impact is of a high %GRR/TV Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
V Sample Range for a valid GRR using ANOVA in Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R New to MSA - I was told to use ANOVA for the GRR's Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2