GRR on ID with set of pin gauges

sinned

Registered Visitor
Hi all,
I've repeatedly see engineers conducting GR&R (ANOVA method) with a set of standard pin gauges in certain increment, like 0.01mm. With such kind of measurement method, is there potential issue that will be challenged by customer or auditor ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
The biggest potential issue I see is that you may not have sufficient resolution. Low resolution can affect your results by making them better or worse than they truly are.

sinned

Registered Visitor
Hi Miner,
Yes. You are correct that the resolution will be limited by the increment of those pin gauges. You generally can't go further than 0.005 increment and I doubt if the hand feeling of 0.005 is distinguishable or not. So I usually recommend engineer to explain to customer and seek for their endorsement. The chance customer will accept this is not low to my experience especially when the holes are functioned to have shaft to fit into, ie. the pin gauge measurement simulate better the real world situation as in their assembly process. If you use point touch measurement equipment you may not get the least thru hole diameter.
:)

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
to expand on Miner's point - the resolution is a relative thing. If the tolerance range is small compared to the pin resolution, then you get 'chunky data'. chunky data is defined as when there only ~2-5 possible results in the tolerance range. This will result in an overestimate of the measurement error SD and your R&R will most likely fail.

If pins are the best choice (because you need to detect the minimum through hole diameter) then I recommend using a categorical gage R&R. This would be a more accurate and useful assessment of the measurement system.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Pins are really no different than the resolution of the lines on a dial or any other gage. I have used "tenths sets" as variable data very readily - if the process variation or tolerance (whichever was applicable) was wide enough. Some people think it is not "continuous" data, but, again, it as continuous as the dashes on your dial gage! One of the best ways to measure MMC including fit.

As far as explaining to a customer, never assume they are more expert than you. Be prepared to train them, if need be.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Samples preparation for GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A %AV=0 in the MSA GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Z GRR for multiple automated metrology tools Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Combat Low Part to Part Variation in GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Cg, Cgk and GRR of a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
V Minitab GRR crossed Xbar and r method macro needed Using Minitab Software 9
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Minitab 18: How to automate GRR Summary Table save Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J Question on very low NDC number with tolerable GRR ratio's Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
C Evaluating GRR Scores %Tol vs %TV Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Q What does % study variation of 20% mean in GRR? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
C %GRR <10% not possible. How to get approval by auditor? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
V GRR Study on a Finished Product - Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Script of R software to conduct Nested GRR for Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Hypothesis test for Bias, not for GRR. WHY ?? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B How to perform a MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) A&R/ANOVA Vs GUM/VDA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Calculating part variation from historic data for GRR study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P New Part - How to choose what needs GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K The basics of GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Need MSA %GRR Interpretation Advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M GRR approach for off line Measuring Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Does anyone have the GRR Formula? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
T MSA - Should I compare my GRR to tolerance or to my sample? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
D What the impact is of a high %GRR/TV Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
V Sample Range for a valid GRR using ANOVA in Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F GRR (Gage R&R) with Different Scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
R New to MSA - I was told to use ANOVA for the GRR's Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Type 1 GRR (Gage R&R) on a One Sided Specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Analysis of GRR studies, MSA 4th Ed, Chapter III section B - Rigid Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Strange PT Ratio on an Excel spreadsheet for variable GRR ANOVA Method Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R ndc=0 and GRR=14% ??? Interpretation - basic question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) Requirement for CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
Rameshwar25 What is the significance of Spread in Calculating GRR (Gage R&R)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Rameshwar25 GRR (Gage R&R) Nested Anova Method Example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 40
J CMM MSA - Can you use 1 GRR to satisfy requirement for all Key Features? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
M Minitab Type 1 Repeatability & GRR% of Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Cp calculation on page 193 of the MSA 3rd edition May 2003 with %GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T When is GRR (Gage R&R) required? AIAG MSA Manual Version 4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
H GRR (Gage R&R) Study for Digital Temperature Gauge Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
L %GRR/TV or /TW for GRR of One Sided Specification - Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Gage R&R (GRR) Study - Please comment on the results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J Attribute GRR (Gage R&R) - How to get Kappa Software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D GRR (Gage R&R) procedure for Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1