GS1 (Barcode) Adoption for suppliers to the NHS

S

SteveK

I was just wondering how far people have got with GS1 (and PEPPOL) compliance activities in the UK as suppliers to the NHS (as per the published supplier timeline). We have joined GS1 UK and have had 10,000 GTIN numbers allocated to us. Also now have access to NHS Supplier Wokspace. I’ve created a spreadsheet similar to Smith & Nephews (see http://www.smith-nephew.com/udi-home/provider--information-/) to generate barcodes. Also bought new label software and barcode verifiers. We are currently creating (and verifying) new labels for our products (with 2D barcodes) and packaging (1D barcodes) – but the whole overall GS1 and PEPPOL thing is a bit overwhelming.

Steve

rob73

looking for answers
:frust: a the moment, luckily enough all of our product are class 1 disposable so i'm trying to put it off until i can see how other have done it (we have peppol access and are a GS1 member, so i have not been totally idle).
My biggest concern is aligning GS1/NHS with the new UDI requirements, which on the face of it should seamlessly and effortlessly merge into one :sarcasm:

Last edited:
S

SteveK

Hi Rob,

What is involved in getting PEPPOL access? I have come across white papers etc. on the subject, but there seems to be nothing much on the actual practical side e.g. how much does it cost, what does it look like in practice? I have gone on the PEPPOL site to look at the access point suppliers (in the UK and other EU countries – noting I might not be able to use such a phrase come Friday!), but nothing seems to be very clear to me – maybe I’m just dumb. Is it a database (Excel like?) where you dump your GTINs and descriptions as per the Smith & Nephew format I referenced previously? Are there any demos about? All NHS suppliers are supposed be signed up by the 30th September 2016 so it is a concern.

Steve

rob73

looking for answers
Peppol is just the access point to the electronic procurement and invoice system. The datapool is where all of the product data is enter, and quite frankly looking at the information required by the DOH it scares the **** out of me.
Selecting the datapool provider is our last step, but trying to get any sensible answers out of GS1 so far has been difficult.

S

SteveK

So the PEPPOl access provider and the datapool provider are two separate entities - how so? This whole eProcurement business is seriously doing my head in!

Steve

rob73

looking for answers
SteveK
This is what we got from a seminar a Sailsbury hospital on the adoption of GS1 and PEPPOL. If you look at the attachment it gives a flow diagram of how information is moved around the system.
The way I understand the system works is as follows:
The bar code data is not automatically shared by GS1, they are the repository for GTIN's only.
The data that attaches to the GTIN has to be submitted to an approved "datapool". This mentioned on page 5 of the ten step guide, but not a great deal of emphasis is given to it. (emphasis mine) "GTINs are required to identify your products and services when trading with the NHS through the Global Data Synchronisation Network (GDSN) using a datapool."
The NHS then pull the data from this pool using the GTIN attached to the product, invoice etc etc.
I've been looking at this for two years and it still does my head in if i think about it too much!!!! :bonk:
I'm now going for a lay down :sleep:

Attachments

• NHS supplier workshop slides Salisbury PDF.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 180
  • GS1_PEPPOL_Adoption_Ten_step_guide_for_suppliers_to_the_NHS.pdf
    226.2 KB · Views: 185
S

SteveK

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info, we seem indeed to be in the same boat. I had the 10 steps, but these have changed (recent info from a trade association). If you were not already aware:

Department of Health updated Supplier Compliance Timeline

The key changes are:

Activity to provide a plan to the Department of Health has been changed to the request to provide a “statement of commitment to the adoption of GS1 and PEPPOL standards”

Upload of GLNs to the GLN Registry has been pushed back to 30/09/17 as we don’t anticipate the Registry being available until the end of March 2017

Price synchronisation via the GDSN is not required at this time, in line with eProcurement Update of Mar 2016

The link to the survey has been updated

All notes have been amended accordingly and some new notes have been added for greater clarity

It is all well and good to have flow diagrams and guidance - but what do you physically do? Is PEPPOL access something you log onto - passwords and all that? What does a datapool look like - is it a load of boxes you fill in or upload your product details/GTINs to and send off to the ether?:bonk:

Sorry to interrupt your rest - time for me to take a nap!

Steve

rob73

looking for answers
Hi Steve
We use tradeshift (https://tradeshift.com/) (no affiliation) only because some of our NHS customer are using their system.
Sorry i cannot be much more help on this as i did'nt really get involved, but from what i understand it was customer pressure that pushed us to them, could be worth talking to some of your NHS customer and see which way they are heading.
Rob

S

SteveK

Hi Rob,

I have been looking into Peppol Access Points and the various providers, such as the one you are in (Tradeshift) for some time now. Not managed to get any information so far from our NHS customers. What I cannot get a handle on is how much it all costs – is there a joining fee, annual fee, transaction fee etc.? The same goes for joining a GDSN certified datapool. Any idea?

Steve

Top Bottom