GSPRs / Clinical Evaluation

Philip B

Quite Involved in Discussions
Does anyone know which GSPRs should specifically be supported in the clinical evaluation? MEDDEV 2.7.1 states (at least) MDD essential requirements 1, 3 and 6. Does anyone know what the expectation is for the MDR?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Raisin picker

Quite Involved in Discussions
There's no specific list, to my knowledge. I think you are expected to define yourself which GSPRs need to be supported in your CER. I've seen several variants. Minimum would be 1 and 8, but others could be argued as well.

Sam Lazzara

Trusted Information Resource
Agreed.
For sure 1 and 8 since they are specifically mentioned in MDR Article 61.1. And via the mention of "relevant" GSPRs that leaves the door open for other GSPRs as well. So, definitely address GSPR 1 and 8, and consider others.

MDR Article 61.1 first sentence
Confirmation of conformity with relevant general safety and performance requirements set out in Annex I under the normal conditions of the intended use of the device, and the evaluation of the undesirable side-effects and of the acceptability of the benefit-risk- ratio referred to in Sections 1 and 8 of Annex I, shall be based on clinical data providing sufficient clinical evidence, including where applicable relevant data as referred to in Annex III.

Annex I. 1
Devices shall achieve the performance intended by their manufacturer and shall be designed and manufactured in such a way that, during normal conditions of use, they are suitable for their intended purpose. They shall be safe and effective and shall not compromise the clinical condition or the safety of patients, or the safety and health of users or, where applicable, other persons, provided that any risks which may be associated with their use constitute acceptable risks when weighed against the benefits to the patient and are compatible with a high level of protection of health and safety, taking into account the generally acknowledged state of the art.

Annex I. 8
All known and foreseeable risks, and any undesirable side-effects, shall be minimised and be acceptable when weighed against the evaluated benefits to the patient and/or user arising from the achieved performance of the device during normal conditions of use.

RobertvanBoxtel

Involved In Discussions
In addition of the comment of @Sam Lazzara, start earlier in the MDR and read Article 5.3:
Demonstration of conformity with the general safety and performance requirements shall include a clinical evaluation in accordance with Article 61.
You determine which data in your clinical evaluation covers which GSPR's. But, in general the data should cover safety and performance aspects (lot's of those also in GSPR 10 and up), and the determination of the benefit of your device. Btw, when designing a new device, defining the benefit would be one of the first design activities you will have to do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Registration of a CE-marked medical device in Japan -Will they accept conformity with GSPRs? Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
K Clinical Studies of MD and IVD in the US US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Post-market Clinical Follow-up Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S IDCB 0129/0160 Clinical Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
L Clinical investigation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Clinical evaluation for legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M Clinical evaluation report training EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Aymaneh Clinical study CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Continue to do clinical evaluation? or transfer to RA? or focus on clinical studies as MA? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
K Do you have separate clinical risk management group or experts in your manufactures? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Mexico - Clinical Investigation in children Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
shimonv Device deficiencies (~complaint) discovered during a clinical trial ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O CLINICAL EVALUATION - VACCUM PLANTS Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E DESIGN VALIDATION, USABILITY AND CLINICAL EVALUATION request Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S Clinical trial requirements for UKCA mark in UK UK Medical Device Regulations 4
B Is clinical trial necessary? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Clinical Investigations Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Clinical Evaluation of equivalent device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
I France clinical trial requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
N Pre-Clinical Performance Testing Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J EU equivalent to Clinical Decision Support Software EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Clinical evaluation plan EU Medical Device Regulations 17
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 11
A Clinical Investigation - US/EU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Clinical Trial for Medical devices in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M FDA Requirements for Investigational Devices - Clinical Investigation & Shipping Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Qualification of clinical assessment scales EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Foreign manufacturer: how to conduct Clinical Investigation? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
E ISO 13485 in Clinical Trial conduct: Applicable or No ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Clinical Trial and Finished Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 18
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P IDEs and Clinical Investigators - Advice About Records? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Q Summative Usability Evaluation Testing: prior or during Clinical Investigation? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
P Clinical Trial Requirement - No equivalent devices in the market CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Clinical Decision Support Software Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Regular updates of clinical evaluation report EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Clinical Benefit of device that only aids in a process for managing or treating disease EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Clinical accuracy and repeatability of IR(infrared) thermometer, no maximum error criteria is recommended in ISO Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Clinical Evaluation Benchmark vs. Equivalent EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Classification of product for clinical trials EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 5