Guidance for Transition from ISO9001:2008 to AS9100C

I

Irvingstark

We are registered to ISO9001:2008 and making the transition to AS9100C. We are very early in the process and I am trying to get my head around the requirements for AS9100C.

I understand the holes where I need now to develop/incorporate Risk Managment and FOD procedures.

My question revolves around which becomes the driving document? Is the documented Procedures/Work Instructions/Forms independent within each quality system (ISO and AS)? So when I revise the ISO document, I need to consider the AS impact and revise those as well (if appropriate)?

Any guidance is appreciated, light a candle, do not curse my darkness.

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
It depends on what your game plan is and what works best for your company but....

I'm running 3 QMSs (ISO 9001, ISO 13485, & AS9100) at the same time and I try to use the same forms, procedures, work instructions, etc. as much as possible . I feel the more different paths there are to wander down, the more confusion there will be.

We are registered to ISO9001:2008 and making the transition to AS9100C. We are very early in the process and I am trying to get my head around the requirements for AS9100C.

I understand the holes where I need now to develop/incorporate Risk Managment and FOD procedures.

My question revolves around which becomes the driving document? Is the documented Procedures/Work Instructions/Forms independent within each quality system (ISO and AS)? So when I revise the ISO document, I need to consider the AS impact and revise those as well (if appropriate)?

Any guidance is appreciated, light a candle, do not curse my darkness.

Thanks in advance!
I believe you're thinking about this the wrong way - your organization has ONE Quality System. You have, in this case, to meet 2 requirements: ISO 9001 (foundation) and then the "adders" of AS 9100 C.

You shouldn't be thinking of "2 systems". You define and document how your operate your processes and make sure the specifics are catered for. So in the process of dealing with how you control your non-conforming product, you should see in your documented procedure, firstly, the various requirements of identification, segregation, reporting, review, disposition etc (as required by ISO 9001) and then, for aerospace products how you handle the "extra" requirements.

Simples!

I

Irvingstark

Do you number then for each QMS or do you keep them the same number and reference them within the different QMS?

Thanks,

Irv.

I

Irvingstark

The clouds are starting to part...

So just tailor existing documents to meet each standard whether AS9100 or IS9000. The requirements of the standard will be addressed for each QMS within the particular guiding document for the Quality System Procedure, Work Instruction and Forms. Am I on the right path?

Thanks,

Irv.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Do you number then for each QMS or do you keep them the same number and reference them within the different QMS?

Thanks,

Irv.
Irving,

Instead of coding your organizational management system's documents for the standards, do what others did years ago. Code or uniquely identify them for your organization.

You could assign each of them a random number or you could code them to inform users, at a glance, the doc type, owner and issue status along the lines of:

A-B-C(D)

A = Doc Type
B = Dept of Process Owner
C = 01 to 99 for each unique combination of A and B
D = letter for draft or number for a doc that is approved for use (A indicates first draft - review comments requested and 1 indicates first issue for use and improvement.

No procedure should be called an ISO Procedure or a Quality Procedure come to that.

Name your management system for your company and avoid giving the impression that your management system is primarily for certification purposes.

Good luck,

John

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
The clouds are starting to part...

So just tailor existing documents to meet each standard whether AS9100 or IS9000. The requirements of the standard will be addressed for each QMS within the particular guiding document for the Quality System Procedure, Work Instruction and Forms. Am I on the right path?

Thanks,

Irv.
Irv,

Most of your procedures should be a result of analyzing the processes needed by your management system for it to be effective. Document these procedures to the extent needed for effective planning, operation and control of these processes and no more.

I take it that you already understand how your organization works as a system and that you have determined the processes needed by your management system for it to be effective.

If not, study clause 4.1 and ask us about any aspect you do not understand.

John

R

Reg Morrison

I am in full agreement with Andy's comment. You CANT have multiple quality systems. You have 1 QMS that should be exercised in different ways depending on the contract and program requirements. Organizations that still function with multiple quality manuals are extinct. They might not know that yet, but they belong to the prehistoric world of QC.

Further, much more important than deciding document protocols is to understand the process approach. Documents serve no other purpose than to give definition to processes.

As a suggestion, I would encourage you to take the time and read the numerous threads we have on AS9100 transition. There is a lot of knowledge and wisdom captured in those discussions.

Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T MDR Guidance Book - Useful for MDR transition? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
O Guidance and/or assistance on Transition to AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
John Broomfield Guidance on Safe Working During Covid-19 Pandemic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
dgrainger Informational UK guidance on FSNs - May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Informational UK guidance on FSNs - Published 20 May 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Guidance on manufacturing non-surgical face masks US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
dgrainger Informational MHRA guidance update on withdrawal of Notified Bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Advertising medical devices in the U.S - Advertising regulations or guidance documents Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
dgrainger Informational MHRA updated guidance: Clinical investigations of medical devices – guidance for manufacturers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
rob73 MDCG guidance on class 1 devices and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
J CEN/TR 17223:2018 Guidance on the relationship between13485 and MDR.. worth the money?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Informational EU – Ongoing Guidance development within MDCG Subgroups Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
D Performance Qualification per GHTF Guidance Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2019-11: Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Clinical Decision Support Software Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational DSVG 04 – Breast Implants – Guidance on the vigilance system for CE-marked medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – DSVG 03 – Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices (CIED) – Guidance on the vigilance system for CE-marked medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Patient Engagement in Design and Conduct of Medical Device Clinical Investigations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDADraft Guidance – Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Several revised or updates USFDA guidance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA draft guidance – Safer Technologies Program for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Final guidance – GUIDELINES on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devices covering phthalates which are carc Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Humanitarian Device Exemption (HDE) Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Consideration of Uncertainty in Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Approvals, De Novo Classificati Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MHRA guidance – Assistive technology: definition and safe use Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S IMDRF or still GHTF for STED and other guidance? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
M Informational US FDA draft guidance – Testing and Labeling Medical Devices for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance (MR) Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Postmarketing Safety Reporting for Combination Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Metal Expandable Biliary Stents – Premarket Notification (510(k)) Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MHRA guidance updated to reflect the mDR – Clinical investigations of medical devices – Biological safety assessment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational TGA – Medical device cyber security guidance for industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MHRA Guidance – Dental radiographic X-ray imaging: dose to patients Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
dgrainger Informational Additional Guidance Regarding the Vigilance System as outlined in MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev. 8 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-7 Guidance on Article 15 of the Medical Device Regulation (MDR) and in vitro Diagnostic Device Regulation (IVDR) regarding a “person re Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6