Guidelines that must be followed when developing "Standard Work" instructions

E

EricaM

Hi

Does anyone have any guidelines that must be followed when developing "Standard Work" for transactional (or office) processes?

thanks for your help!:D

:thanx:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Standard Work

Maybe it is because I've just spent two days being audited, but my mind seems to be missing something here. Could you expand upon your question a little, I'm afraid I don't quite follow what you are looking for. (but I'm old, and I may be in the first stages of dementia)

Welcome to the Cove, I hope we can come up with the answers you are looking for!:bigwave:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

Okay, the post was put in Lean so I'm guessing this is about standardizing the processes in an office, while reducing wasteful activities.

A search on yahoo provided me with this link.

All in all, I'd suggest you map out the process flow first, determine which activities add value (or more importantly, which ones do not), and then ascertain which is the best way to perform each value-added activity.

Upon determining that, document the best practices and train people accordingly.

Hmmm...I have a funny feeling I've made it sound much simpler than it is. ;)

E

EricaM

Ok. Here is where I'm coming from... some people take their existing process and put into a standard work template. To me, this defeats the purpose of lean. I'm looking if anyone has some criteria that must be met before a 'standard work' is established. Like ... process must be streamlined, a value add analysis must be completed, some actions to streamline and improve must take place, continuous flow must be present, etc. THEN establish the 'standard work' that everyone must follow.

I'm looking specifically for office type processes.

hope this helps...

H

Hondo812

Hi.

I have on one my my bookmarks a Canadian site that deals with Lean. They define Standard Work as...Standard work definition (SWD): Documenting
the work in a process, along with the
standard time and quality criteria per
work element. The summation of all standard
times per work element is the standard
time of the product in the process. In
most cases a weighted average of all standard
times will be determined for the calculation
of resources;

That said, you are measuring the task time (time study) data and adding the PFD (personal, fatigue, and delay) time to develop your standard time (the amount of time to complete a task (i.e. copy a file).

You would want to make sure that you do this before implementing changes (hopefully improvements) so that you can compare a before and after situation. Ultimatley management wants to know the cost to implement, the cost reduction from the change, and things like payback (how long before the cost reduction equals the cost to implement).

www.advancedmanufacturing.com
www.advancedmanufacturing.com/pdfs/AMjan01.pdf (go to page 21 for the definition)

Sorry, I can't post links yet.

Since you are looking specifically for office process you might look to whatever the Labor office of Canada is called to get additional information. I know I had found a reference to the PFD percentage of about 9% at a US bureau of labor site.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

Ok. Here is where I'm coming from... some people take their existing process and put into a standard work template. To me, this defeats the purpose of lean. I'm looking if anyone has some criteria that must be met before a 'standard work' is established. Like ... process must be streamlined, a value add analysis must be completed, some actions to streamline and improve must take place, continuous flow must be present, etc. THEN establish the 'standard work' that everyone must follow.

I'm looking specifically for office type processes.

hope this helps...

The link I provided in my first post above lists 7 steps. I will not paste them here due to copyright issues. I'd suggest you follow the link.

At the same time - and no sarcasm intended - don't over-think things. Keep it simple for everyone involved...and fun.

For example, you indicated that the process must be streamlined. What process? For that, you will first need to map out the process and that is best done with the people involved. Find out what they do, the sequence they do it in and how long it takes...and how it adds value to the end product/result.

J

John Nabors - 2009

Disclaimer: I'm a manufacturing / turning-metal-into-chips-and-selling-what's-left-over / desks-are-for-dead-weight (just kidding on that last one) kinda guy, not an office person...

EricaM- I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'office type processes' but some thoughts occurred to me. I think I know where you are going with the idea that you want to improve your processes before documenting your procedures, but consider this: wouldn't defining your processes be the first step toward improving them? My thoroughly uninformed opinion is that if you were to document how you are currently doing things you would be more informed of how to best go leaner.

Just my uninformed :2cents:

Good luck and kind regards -John

H

Hondo812

If i could echo what's been said..."how can you get where you want to go if you don't know where you are"?

Top Bottom