HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level

C

chipollinij

Hello friends-
The HACCP system has been used with great success at the processing level in a wide variety of food industries. There is not a lot of work done in controlling hazards at the farm level. In egg production, an egg laying hen produces an egg approximately every 26 hours. Salmonella enteritidis, if present in the environment, is capable of infecting the hen. An infected hen produces SE contaminated eggs at a low rate. Control of Salmonella enteritidis in the farm may be done by the implementation of good biosecurity (prerequisites). This may include preventing the introduction of infected birds, feed, pests (flies, rodents, people??), vaccination, etc and by cleaning and disinfecting the environment at the end of the laying cycle.
It seems to me that implementing strong prerequisites you may control this pathogen in the farm environment.
I would like to hear your input if it is necessary to have a CCP in egg production.
Thank you

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Welcome to the Cove.

Most of what you mentioned are/appears to be CCPs. The FDA should have something on egg haccp but when I tried to access, the site is down.

Attached is something from Australia - Egg Biosecurity, Code of practice which is quite informative.

Attachments

• Egg Biosecurity Code of Practice Final.pdf
    158.1 KB · Views: 344
C

chipollinij

Thank you Harry for the article.
Indeed, Biosecurity has a profound effect in keeping pathogens out of the farm/poultry units. However, most biological hazards in the Biosecurity HACCP plan affect poultry health. Only Salmonella organisms have an impact in public health. HACCP systems control hazards which are significant for food safety. Biosecurity is used for poultry disease prevention. Methods used to prevent the introduction of poultry diseases also work in preventing the introduction of Salmonella in the farm.

Thanks again.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
You are right. After SARs and Avian Flu, most countries over here had tightened their controls and requirements way beyond what was generally required. If I can make judgments based on the results in my country, it's much more effective.

Top Bottom