SBS - The best value in QMS software

Hackers Scrape LinkedIn Member Profiles

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Interesting. I had a small group on Linkedin and seemed to get a huge number of bogus profiles wanting to join. I got so sick of reviewing them before approval, that I shut the group down, since no-one posted anything...

P

PaulJSmith

I have a LinkedIn account that I almost never use. Perhaps I should be checking in on it a little more frequently ...

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Just another modern world survival peril.

I wonder if they are employees of the NSA, the mafia, the police, or data harvesting, storage and analysis companies?
You've watched too many conspiracy movies, mate :lol:

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Think I'll revert back to my old 12 digit password with numbers and capitals. If they're willing to spend that amount of money to crack it they have too much money to burn and might feel predisposed to leaving some in my account once they're into it! I only added the capitals because I forgot my password too many times and had already used the only password I could think of that I could easily remember. If you've used one password they don't let you use it again but a simple capital letter in it lets you have it again. Just not at the beginning as I'm sure that would make it easier to force the password out, I mean who uses a capital in the miDdle of a wOrd in normal useaGe?

BTW does anyone when setting new passwords not listen to the weak, medium or strong password comments they sometimes put on their registration pages? Do we all keep tweaking our passwords until we get a strong password? Or do you just stick with the bare minimum of 6 characters all lowercase letters?

M

mguilbert

Just some more food for thought. I am sure you all have seen the commercials where a security company offers cameras so you can view your home when you are away via the web. During a recent meeting on of my peers has this option. I wonder how long before theives use this to determine when you are out or most vulnerable? Or could this be a tool used by modern day peeping toms?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Just some more food for thought. I am sure you all have seen the commercials where a security company offers cameras so you can view your home when you are away via the web. During a recent meeting on of my peers has this option. I wonder how long before theives use this to determine when you are out or most vulnerable? Or could this be a tool used by modern day peeping toms?
Both - And more. I haven't been following the technology for a few years but almost all of those "security" cams broadcast in the clear (no encryption or very weak inscription) and there used to be searches and web sites where you could sean for camera IPs. Not too many years back I played with looking around at camera feeds from different places (businesses and homes show up). Nothing of interest to me showed up on any but it was easy to find thousands of them.

In the "early" days it was as easy as listening to people's home phones that had wireless handsets was. In the early days none of that was encrypted or even different channels for transmit/receive. A lot of standard RF scanners could easily pick up people's conversations.

Recently there was an article about how the NSA can turn on people's computer cameras without turning the "camera is active" light on even though the light was technically "hardwired" to turn on. I sort of figure if there's a camera and/or a microphone on a computer either or both can be on without anyone knowing it. More: Perv Utopia: Light on MacBook webcams can be bypassed

And there is malware that can record stuff: Webcam spying goes mainstream as Miss Teen USA describes hack

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Well my laptop webcam used to come on suddenly no matter how many times I disabled it. I was getting annoyed with it and confused as to how it was happening. I ran countless malware scans to find out if there was something like that going on. Nothing came up.

Anyway i got round it by putting two layers of black duct tape or electrical tape over the camera and thought nothing of it. Then one day I took that off to use the webcam and before I put it back I disabled the camera only for it to come back. I suddenly realised I had been accidentally pressing a combination of keys that had a special function...to turn the webcam on!!! Felt and idiot but still tape the camera up just in case. Never thought of the microphone though.

When home wifi was new there were numerous scare stories about people driving around "listening in" on wifi traffic. Then most routers now come with encryption turned on as the default. The best way as most users are either lazy or ignorant of computers and security. And then NSA and GCHQ (plus other nation's eavesdroppers) get round it all anyway if they want to (and they always do i reckon).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
Wes Bucey Hackers now aiming at Mac users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Hackers Use Banner Ads on Major Sites to Hijack Your PC After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
W Hackers and software developers - Colleagues working to make software better? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Hackers Tune In to Windows Media Player - Two new Trojans After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
R Should we scrape off the enamel when measure the touch current? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Watchcat "Disappeared" Linkedin Notified Body Rant EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Marc Is something happening with Linkedin "Groups"? July 2018 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
Marc New Malware Targets Facebook and Linkedin Users through Image Files Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Microsoft just bought LinkedIn For $196/Share World News 9
Marc LinkedIn Accused Of Secretly Selling Members Professional Data To Potential Employers World News 9
Marc Searching Linkedin Posts - What am I missing? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
R LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
T Connect on LinkedIn with Company Recruiter Career and Occupation Discussions 7
B Are Premium LinkedIn accounts worth the investment? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc UK Executive Forced Out of Job For Posting Resume On LinkedIn Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Howard Atkins ISO/TS 16949 3rd Party Automotive Auditors Group on LinkedIn ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
M RAPS (Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society) Brazil LinkedIn Network Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
ScottK What is LinkedIn doing with the "People you may know" box? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
hogheavenfarm LinkedIn users-Elsmar Cove Group formed Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
ScottK Taking wagers on my latest LinkedIn question After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
ScottK Do any of you use "LinkedIn" or any other 'networking' web site? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 49