Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
although shorturls are a risk, the interesting part of this article is that the system reviews your previous tweets to specifically tailor it's message for you so that you are more likely to click

ncwalker

Keep up with it?

They're ahead of it.

All the defenses against hackers are always reactionary. Someone finds a chink in the armor, exploits it, and this draws attention. THEN it is discovered and fixed (and not always on the first try).

Basically, if you're going to ride the front of the wave for new technologies, you are statistically FAR more likely to get hacked, regardless of what you do.

Anyone who is interested, there is a fantastic YouTube channel called "Computerphile". There's lots of vidoes abotu EVERYTHING to do with computers. But if you want to learn how to protect yourself, watch anything with the word "attack" in the title. SQL injection attack, man in the middle attack, etc.... And any video about how manage passwords.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
True. I posted about this one because it is relatively unique and not well publicised. Personally I very rarely use Twitter for anything so it doesn't affect me, but I know how popular Twitter is.

I mainly keep up with the new stuff that is discovered by visiting tech sites, though. One does the best one can. I've never been hacked so far, but I am well aware that someday... It may come to pass. Just did an upgrade on Elsmar for John late Friday night to patch a vulnerability discovered about a week ago.

ncwalker

It's insane.

So we have the Delta outage today. They said it was power. Maybe. But if it actually WAS hacked - we should not be surprised.

The operating system companies keep pumping out "new releases" that are configured differently. Just shiny different buttons to push.

Honestly - how many of us REALLY need anything more than what was available on Win NT?

In very, very few instances. And computers get better. But do we reap those benefits? Nooooooooo...... we just hang a bigger, sexier operating system on it and lose ground. Ugh.

Can you imagine how quickly Win NT would run on a CURRENT system?

pkost

shorturls do exactly what their name suggests....urls can be very long these days with various details in included in them....

e.g (not real)
Code:
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=582135#post582135?name=pkost?reply=somethread?unknownkey=da87vsjhf374fhasldfnvslvbsfg3l4fkjrfg
This isn't particularly tidy, easy to remember, easy to encode in a QR code, or possible to post on twitter. There are services that will translate this...for example tinyurl

A person making a shorturl will enter the link above, the service will then store this and create a shorturl that links to the longer link. e.g. tinyurl.com/sdf89

anyone can now enter "tinyurl.com/sdf89" and it will take them to the main link

The problem is that a malicous person could create a shorturl for a malicious site "www.virusesrus/infecteveryonewhoclickshere"...all you would see is tinyurl.com/fgf2s until it was too late

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Hackers Scrape LinkedIn Member Profiles After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Wes Bucey Hackers now aiming at Mac users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Hackers Use Banner Ads on Major Sites to Hijack Your PC After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
WALLACE Hackers and software developers - Colleagues working to make software better? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Hackers Tune In to Windows Media Player - Two new Trojans After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
J Microsoft Smart Art Turtle Diagram Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
C Is IEC 60601 applicable to our smart bed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
F Organising IQ, OQ and PQ content in a "smart" way Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
BradM Stay Logged In does not work on smart phones - Sept 2018 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 14
J OGP Smart Scope for Gage R & R Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Marc FYI - A way to liberate ransomware'd Google Smart TVs Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Ajit Basrur Google?s smart contact lens: What it does and how it works Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
V Best value for choice/money - Smart phone vs tablet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Wes Bucey Touch Pad on Laptop - Make Me Smart After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
P Smart or Sexy (CAR) - Poor Root Cause Analysis and Poor Effectiveness Check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
S Which smart phone do you use? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 26
L Product Quality Management Framework Policy and SMART Objectives Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
K Is Bill Gates So Smart ? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
eternal_atlas Quality Objectives - Convert these objectives into "SMART" format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Marc Want to Buy a Smart ForTwo? Too Bad, They're Sold Out World News 13
S Smart-labels that automatically monitor lapsed time - Sample and Testing Plans, Help! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Marc Don Adams of 'Get Smart' dies at 82 World News 4
Marc Predictive Maintenance? GM pitches "smart" cars to cut back on discounts World News 2
J Silly it may sound, but how to set smart goals? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
R Comparing MicroVu?s Vertex machine to OPG?s Smart Scope Flash General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Fraud at Eagle-Picher? Cover-Up May Have Caused Smart Bombs To Go Astray World News 16
V Does preventive maintenance have any positive effect on smart transmitters? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V Most Cost Effective Frequency Of Calibration For Smart Electronic Transmitters Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1