Handling in-Process Defect Repairs

cferrer

Involved In Discussions
OK, thank you for the definitions and the more precise language. Can anyone comment on the question of allowing reworks to go undocumented in small companies? Any experiences with that?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
The process may include rework until the product conforms. In this case the rework will not be recorded.

But the nature of nonconforming products is recorded and this initiates the dispositioning of the nonconforming product usually along the following lines:

A. Scrap
B. Rework
C. Repair
D. Accept as is

B and C are subject to reverification. Both C and D are subject to design change level approval. Remember, the product specs may already include repair specs for common nonconformities.

So, you have yet to say if the product is failing an inspection before the rework of which you speak.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
OK, thank you for the definitions and the more precise language. Can anyone comment on the question of allowing reworks to go undocumented in small companies? Any experiences with that?

Good day @cferrer ;
ISO 9001 and AS9100 (the two applicable standards as defined within this discussion) do not delineate between "small" and "large" companies. Therefore, an organization certified to these standards has no provision for "...allowing reworks to go undocumented..."

Neither standard utilizes the term "rework" although ISO 9000:2015 defines both repair and rework. Rework is defined as follows...
"action on a nonconforming product or service to make it conform to the requirements"

AS9100 and ISO 9001 both state...
8.7.2 The organization shall retain documented information that:
a. describes the nonconformity;

In other words, nonconformities shall be documented (regardless of organization size).

Hope this helps.

Be well.

malasuerte

Quite Involved in Discussions
Good day @malasuerte ;
I respectfully disagree with your posted statement. Per the helpful attachment provided by @Miner and also the 9000 excerpt I have included here, (attached) repair DIFFERS from rework specifically for the reason that repair ONLY causes the product to be "...acceptable for the intended use" . Not "...back to spec" as you stated.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Good call - I can agree with that. Just know, as in my industry, the repair needs to bring it back to spec - this is both our customer and internal requirement. Logic being - "acceptable for intended use" cannot happen if it is not within "spec". At least for us. The customer will not accept it if we say it is OOS, but acceptable for the intended use. :)

malasuerte

Repair is usually a design change (unless the repair spec if already part of the design).

Rework is taking the product back to conformity with the spec.

Sorry - this is incorrect. Repair is NOT a design change at all. A repair can be a weld to bring two broken pieces together.

malasuerte

All my experience at any level is reworks can not be undocumented.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Good call - I can agree with that. Just know, as in my industry, the repair needs to bring it back to spec - this is both our customer and internal requirement. Logic being - "acceptable for intended use" cannot happen if it is not within "spec". At least for us. The customer will not accept it if we say it is OOS, but acceptable for the intended use. :)

Fully understand and agree. All industries I have been involved with (customers) approach the same way. However, that IS where the delineation lies. Bringing back to spec is defined (per the references I gave prior) as REWORK. For example...

Let's assume I'm sewing three piece headliners for a car. I have a tear on one of the three sections. I undo the stitch, remove, and replace the damage section by resewing. All is exactly as intended by the specification/customer. = REWORK.

Let's assume I'm sewing three piece headliners for a car. I have a tear on one of the thee sections. Instead of replacing the bad section I simply ADD a stitch and sew the tear shut. This is NOT as intended by specification/customer. = REPAIR

Hope this helps. Be well.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Such a weld that would be designed and specified so the welded whole fulfills it’s purpose.

Per the example @malasuerte provided....I have indeed been involved in situations where the approval required for the repair as @malasuerte described, would simply be handled as a deviation, etc...and not as a design change.

In the industries I was involved with "Design Change" equates to a permanent change to the drawing....I respectfully do not believe a "Design Change" in this context is what @malasuerte is speaking of.

Be well.

Top Bottom