Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Happy 75th birthday, Adam Osborne

Did you ever use these programs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator
My brother had one. It was marketed by Timex in North America as the Timex Sinclair 1000. I don't recall if it had power supply problems, but the crappy membrane keyboard made it all but impossible to use for purposes other than playing around. It was kind of like Samuel Johnson's famous 18th century observation about female preachers. He said that it was "...like a dog's walking on its hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."
I disagree. At primary school age, I was able to code a racing car game on it, with 1kB of memory. I tell it to my kids now and they think either I'm bluffing or it's down right unnatural. The keyboard was somewhat annoying, but if that's what allowed it to be cheap enough to get to an average home, to be put together by a high school student and actually work for a couple of years - I salute them. Plus, the concept of pre-programming the Basic keywords into the keys meant that you didn't have to key in so many letters to get it going.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
I disagree. At primary school age, I was able to code a racing car game on it, with 1kB of memory. I tell it to my kids now and they think either I'm bluffing or it's down right unnatural. The keyboard was somewhat annoying, but if that's what allowed it to be cheap enough to get to an average home, to be put together by a high school student and actually work for a couple of years - I salute them. Plus, the concept of pre-programming the Basic keywords into the keys meant that you didn't have to key in so many letters to get it going.
You're more patient and a better programmer than me. :D

Top Bottom