Hardness check - We sometimes use a file to check the suface

Z

ZeeMann

We sometimes use a file to check the suface
hardness of our customers parts.
The files used are not checked for accuracy
(hardness) nor are they treated as test equipment in our quality system.
We just passed our QS-9000 registration and
the current consensus of our managment is
if the third party audit didnt see it it is
not important. I think it is and would be very grateful for any opinions. THANKS ;)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
What do your requirements say? Do you have a control plan and if so is this 'check' on it?

I'm at a loss because I've never head of checking hardness with a file. What constitutes a pass and what is a fail? Need more info.

W

winchm

Isn't QS9000 certification superceded? If the hardness check determines pass/fail criteria it should be tested with a calibrated instrument i.e., Rockwell Hardness Test Equipment. If you are doing internal audits this should be noted as a non-conformance or observation if you are not sure why they are filing customer's products. If it is a Customer Requirement to randomly test their products for hardness you can cover the cost of renting or asking Customer to supply calibrated equipment at Contract Review. Note to your management - A CB auditor is not expected to find every deficiency during scheduled audits you should notify your ISO Management Representative to audit process and document as he/she sees fit.

harry

Super Moderator
Isn't QS9000 certification superceded?
You are making a mistake which most of us made in the beginning - not looking at the posting date. In this case it is 1998!

By the way, welcome. 4 post within a short space of time indicate that we are expecting another active participant but it's far from the record of 17 post upon registration (within 1 day).

W

winchm

17 posts!!! I'd lose my job. Thanks for the info. By the way - are you from Malaysia? I did several audits there - at BCM and M-Flex. The country is beautiful and I loved the monkeys roaming free in the parks. :thanx:

harry

Super Moderator
17 posts!!! I'd lose my job. Thanks for the info. By the way - are you from Malaysia? I did several audits there - at BCM and M-Flex. The country is beautiful and I loved the monkeys roaming free in the parks. :thanx:
Yes Mary, I am from Johor Bahru, the extreme south of Malaysia and adjacent to Singapore. M-Flex is about 200km and BCM about 800km away. Both are in beautiful towns.

2007 is visit Malaysia year - do drop by if opportunities arise. Every country have their beautiful side/face and we do have a lot more to offer.

By the way if you do visit BCM, give them a knock on their head for they had yet to update their website. Still claim certification to ISO 9002!

Regards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Help: Procedure for calibrating files used to check hardness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Proper terms for describing Hardness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Hardness inspection Audit Finding Employee error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
S GR&R for Hardness Tester and Arc Spark Spectrometer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
S Portable Magnetic Hardness Testers - Aerospace Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P Very cheap Hardness Blocks unfortunately without Traceability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C Hardness Testing - Low Cpk's using Minitab Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
O Hardness Testing and Certifying Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
kedarg6500 How much test force to be applied for Vickers hardness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Hardness Testing - Rockwell 15T Scale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K Wilson Hardness Tester Model 525 Accuracy/Repeatability issues help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Johnnymo62 What oil do I use for our Starrett 3814 Hardness Tester? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
kedarg6500 CA111-SAE Copper Washer Hardness Measurement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
W MSA on a Hardness Tester to satisfy a Customer who is requiring Hardness Cpk Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
Geoff Cotton Measurement Uncertainty (MU) of HR-150A Rockwell Hardness Tester Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
N Verifying Calibration of Hardness Gauge vs Actually Calibrating It General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M MSA - What method should we use for the stability of hardness? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S ASTM Standard for Hardness Spec for 6063 T6 Aluminum Extrusions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Q Definition Rockwell Hardness definitions - BW 96 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
V What should I require of a Heat Treat PPAP? Surface Hardness per SAE J664 APQP and PPAP 1
J Hardness Testing E error requirement, Why? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J Requirements for Hardness of Metrology Instrument Parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Recommended Rockwell 30T Scale Hardness Tester to verify Incoming Product General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Hoffman Scratch Hardness Test - General Parameters for Pass/Fail (Paint Coatings) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
W Cpk for Hardness - PPAP rejected due to no Cpk value being given for a hardness FMEA and Control Plans 10
Ron Rompen Affri MetalTest Portable Hardness Tester Review General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C MSA for Hardness Machine and Tensile/Compressive Machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Any Difference Between Bench Top and Portable Hardness Tester? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J Rockwell Hardness Testing Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
J Hardness Inspection Test - Rockwell in Lieu of Brinell General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (HARDNESS, THREADS, BEARINGS) The Reading Room 3
Q Calibration of Hardness Tester ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Ron Rompen HV Hardness Testing Conversions - CRA 1070, tempered 440-520 HV10 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
J Sources of Potential Measurement Variation for Brinell Hardness Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Difficulties in performing MSA on Rockwell Hardness Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
A Cause and Effect Analysis - Hardness of Rubber (i.e., durometer) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
B Certifying our house for Hardness and Conductivity Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
I Are there any Procedures or Standard relating to Retesting of Hardness of bolts? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
C Specification (hardness) for stainless steel SUS 310 3/4 Hard Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Calibration of Rockwell Hardness Tester IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
P Micro Hardness Tester Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K Rockwell Hardness Testers ? Brand Recommendation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B Expiration Date for Standardized Rockwell Hardness Blocks Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
ScottK Portable Hardness Testing and Testers for Incoming Bar Stock Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
K Certifying Existing Hardness Tester Indenters / Penetrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
kedarg6500 Potential Failure Mode - Mix Charge for Hardness - Casting Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
E Units of Measure for Case Hardness such as HV, HRB, HRC, etc. Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
J How to calibrate Hardness Rockwell, Brinnell & Vickers Tester machine General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J What Hardness for .090 Thick Silicone Bronze, Extra Hard Temper (cda 65500-h06) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Portable hardness testing recommendations - Upper Rockwell B scale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6