Hardware Receiving Inspection

jeepdog

Starting to get Involved
How much inspection should be performed?

If we purchase hardware thru a middle man that buys from distributors am I wrong to expect the middle man to inspect the hardware? The intent is that we will save the cost of doing this inspection ourselves & be able to go direct dock to stock.

When we buy from distributors direct we always inspected the hardware features, when I saw that the inspection the middle guy was doing is mostly a visual inspection I expressed reluctance to use the middle guy.

I was told by management that it is unreasonable to expect the middle guy to inspect hardware for a cap screw (for example) to include Head height-head dia., shaft dia., thread size (using a ring gage) and screw length.

The middle guy is AS9120 / ISO 9001 certified and per 8.2.4 / 8.2.5 and 7.1 C I think I'm correct. Looking for backup (hopefully).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Hardware Inspection

The middle man has the same hopes and dreams as your organization - good parts in and away to the customer with no need to verify same. Real world intervention on the horizon...

Have you made your intentions clear in writing that this is your expectation? Are you paying extra to this supplier for this level of scrutiny?

The answers are likely no. Is the level of inspection you mention a requirement for the purchased product? If you're purchasing COTS, that sounds extreme.

When in doubt, assume the other guy has the same problems as you do, especially when it comes to information access and resources.

jeepdog

Starting to get Involved

I'm not sure I understand the response.

Rather then letting your customer decide what level of inspection the middle guy should provide, how does an ISO auditor accept your system if you are not actually inspecting parts?

I guess my question is; If your ISO certified do you or do you not have to inspect parts in order to ensure they meet the drawing requirements and thereby satisfy The ISO standard?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator

How much inspection should be performed?

If we purchase hardware thru a middle man that buys from distributors am I wrong to expect the middle man to inspect the hardware? The intent is that we will save the cost of doing this inspection ourselves & be able to go direct dock to stock.

When we buy from distributors direct we always inspected the hardware features, when I saw that the inspection the middle guy was doing is mostly a visual inspection I expressed reluctance to use the middle guy.

I was told by management that it is unreasonable to expect the middle guy to inspect hardware for a cap screw (for example) to include Head height-head dia., shaft dia., thread size (using a ring gage) and screw length.

The middle guy is AS9120 / ISO 9001 certified and per 8.2.4 / 8.2.5 and 7.1 C I think I'm correct. Looking for backup (hopefully).
The amount of inspection is determined by the organization.

If this is standard off the shelf items (catalog) like nuts, bolts, and cap screws (depending on manufacturer), I personally don't feel there is a necessity to perform a dimensional inspection. But there are people that may disagree with that thought.

I tend to agree with your management team. That this maybe an unreasonable request from a distributor.

If they have registration to AS9120, then is there still an issue? Ask for their results of their certification audit, if they want to provide it.

Just an opinion.

jeepdog

Starting to get Involved

Actually I re-read your response and I realize your saying if my premise is valid how do I get away w/ buying in parts w/out inspecting! I guess the reality of that is that we will be contracting w/them to act as our agent and do what we would do as far as inspecting.

We have made that clear to the middleman but I am being second guessed on what I'm asking for (internally). I interpret the standard as necessary to check features on hardware to verify parts are correct.

So another way to put my question is how does the hardware distributor industry work? do they inspect parts or buy per cert?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator

So another way to put my question is how does the hardware distributor industry work? do they inspect parts or buy per cert?
That depends on the distributor. Many distributors use both a certification and some type of inspection, most of the time.

Now here is a question for you:

Have you had any floor, customer, or inspection failures with this distributor?

Last edited:

normzone

Trusted Information Resource

Sorry if my philosophical ramblings are obtuse.

Regardless of the kind of certification the supplier is operating under, they assess the risks and inspect accordingly.

Some parts will have every dimension checked.

Others will be purchased under the agreement that as long as the parts were made by an approved manufacturer, and acquired from them or an approved distributor, then no dimensional inspection is required. Receiving inspection would consist of verifying that the part packaging, packing slip, and the purchase order are all in agreement.

Of course, if a problem arises, then the whole risk issue gets re-examined. Possibly a new approach is settled on, or perhaps the situation is judged to be suitable, and the damages of the rare event minimal and acceptable.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator

Sorry if my philosophical ramblings are obtuse.

Regardless of the kind of certification the supplier is operating under, they assess the risks and inspect accordingly.

Some parts will have every dimension checked.

Others will be purchased under the agreement that as long as the parts were made by an approved manufacturer, and acquired from them or an approved distributor, then no dimensional inspection is required. Receiving inspection would consist of verifying that the part packaging, packing slip, and the purchase order are all in agreement.

Of course, if a problem arises, then the whole risk issue gets re-examined. Possibly a new approach is settled on, or perhaps the situation is judged to be suitable, and the damages of the rare event minimal and acceptable.
Adaptation to changing events may drive different results.

Your philosophical ramblings are a good thing and are opinions, based on personal experience. I don't think it was rambling or obtuse.

jeepdog

Starting to get Involved
Ok
Thanks for the input I will see what else comes along thru the post. I did speak to a local distributor who interprets 8.2.4 as I do so I'm happy w/ that.
I'm also glad to see Elsmar Cove is back!

Thanks Again

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do you use these screws to assemble something, or are they just included in your package for the customer to use? Is it an automated assembly, or manual?

I'm thinking if you actually manually use these screws, then it is somewhat akin to 100% inspections at the assembly point. If it is automated, I would assume there is more of a risk if the dimensions are wrong (machine jamming, down time, ect) Of course, this may have to be revaluated if problems arise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
A Components of a medical device - Hardware robotic hand EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Documenting hardware on Form 2 of AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Validation of Medical Device Hardware containing Software - How many to Validate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Mammography standards or regulations for radiology software (no hardware)? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
N Configuration Management - Physical Audit and Functional Audit for Software and Hardware General Auditing Discussions 3
C Supplier Assessment for Hardware supporting SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Missing Hardware in Accessory Kits Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Testing software-only device on hardware - What are the hardware parameters? Software Quality Assurance 6
C Aerospace Hardware Revision Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Finding a hardware supplier/distributor compliant with RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
N Specifying a MINITAB PC Hardware - What matters? Using Minitab Software 2
K Hardware and OS Responsibility in FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
E Hardware (Such as Rivets and Bolts) - Chemical and Physical Test Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Necessary test documents for Class II Medical Device Hardware and Firmware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
V What are the criteria for determining extent of requalification (hardware upgrade) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Use of Non-Medically Test Hardware in Medical Environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
K Use of off the shelf hardware in Medical Devices class II IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
S CMM Hardware - Renishaw Probe Magnetism question Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
R Triggering Root Cause Analysis for Hardware Returns Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
F Traceability Requirements for Computer Hardware Equipment under ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Defining the scope for ISO 9001 Registration - Software, Hardware and Customer Care ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Assessing Process Capability on Variation (Hardware Adjustment Mean Shift) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M Mobile Medical Platforms - How to deal with Supplier Hardware/Software Changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
michellemmm Hardware Design Standards - Printed Circuit Board Assembly EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
B Optical Steel Surface Inspection System (best hardware to recommend) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B J-STD-001DS Space Applications Electronic Hardware Addendum Certification Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Minitab 14 USB Hardware Key Availbility Using Minitab Software 7
K AS9100 Suppliers of Hardware, Fasteners, Washers, etc. - What standard to use? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Supplier Quality Investigation - Software and Hardware Issues Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
N Audit questions for software/hardware selling company Software Quality Assurance 17
N Internal Auditing - IT software hardware selling company Internal Auditing 5
C AS9102 Form 2 and Standard Hardware clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
U 1. Hardware Life Cycle; 2. Requirements tracking; 3. FMEA Risk Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N What Defines Flight hardware? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
A DFMEA for Hardware (Automotive ECU with embedded software) FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Mil-Spec Hardware (MS, AN, NAS) Suppliers on AS9100 Approved Suppliers List AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Hardware Naming and Description issue - Is TAP BOLT an industry common term? Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
J AS9102 section 3 - Who can explain what ''standard catalog hardware '' means AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J AS9102 - Do I have to do FAI for all Standard Catalog Hardware items???? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
G What PC System (OS, Hardware, etc.) do you run? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 28
O GRR (Gage R&R) Method for Camera Vision Inspection System Hardware and Software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
apestate Custom hardware product - What acceptable quality level (AQL) is expected in the US? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
F Definition Test Hardware - "Comparative References such as Test Hardware" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7