Hardware Receiving Inspection

J

jeepdog

Re: Hardware Inspection

No, but we are deciding whether to use them or not. If they are not going to inspect the parts what do I need them for??!
Did I not need to inspect to the levels I have all these years? and if not my org. and if not the middleman and if not the distributor than who does? What's the point of the spec?
So again per AS9120 8.2.4 Monitoring and Measurement of Product. The Org. shall monitor and measure the characteristics of the product to verify that product requirements have been met. And per 7.4.3 (whatever the customer does) ......does not absolve the org. of its responsibility to provide acceptable product and comply with all requirements.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Your issue seems to be that the product is hardware - kind of a grey area. Sounds like standard, off the shelf type of nuts and bolts. My guess is many distributor types would not do dimensional inspection on bulk items purchased from major manufacturers as long as the parts are made to the known standard and the manufacturer certifies as such. For specialty items, made to a proprietary print, then more detailed inspection would be warranted. At the end if the day, what did you request them to do, if anything?

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Hardware Inspection

No,
Did I not need to inspect to the levels I have all these years?

I'm not trying to crush your spirit, but it's not uncommon for inspection levels to be higher than is required, then eventually be relaxed. If you're feeling crushed, contact me and we'll go drinking or something.

To answer that question, I'd need to know the level of reliability that was required, and the incidence of failure you encountered during all that inspection.

If these were going into a motorcycle, dimensional errors would have been likely to be detected prior to use. Even for an aircraft, I'd be more concerned about metallurgy. If they were to be shipped to the ISS for installation on site, I'd certainly check everything I could.

My outfit acquires vast quantities of COTS components, but at receiving little is tested or inspected past verifying the correct part number and quantity.

Inspection largely occurs during unit build, and testing does for the rest.

:popcorn:

Top Bottom