Has anyone considered what logic is?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Phrases such as "logical response" and "logic follows that..." are the sort of things I have read on here. I was wondering if anyone using such phrases has actually looked into what logic is? A simple or in depth look?

I am only asking because I have been flicking in and out of a programme on TV called the "Joy of Logic". It was interesting I thought and got me thinking I take logic for granted and don't really know enough about it. Syllogisms and other types of logic.

There is a nerdy logic joke I heard that I didn't even catch first time around. It goes something like this. 3 logicians walk into a pub and the landlord asks them "would you all like a beer?". The first logician says "I don't know". The second says "I don't know". Then the third thinks for as moment and says "Yes! We would like a beer."

Did you get it??

The key is the word "all" in the question. The first wanted a beer but had no idea if the others did so had to answer truthfully that he didn't know. Same with the second, but the third had heard the others say they didn't know so knew that they really wanted a beer. If any of the others didn't want a beer they could say honestly "no!" Since they didn't say that then the third knew they wanted the beer and since he wanted one he could answer yes!!

That is a simple example of a type of logic.

Anyone else actually think about logic and what it is? Reckon I'd like to know more. Afterall mathematics needed some of the best logical thinkers to put it on solid ground. It is the base of a lot of science too. You either have the science you prove through experimentation or that you prove through logic.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Phrases such as "logical response" and "logic follows that..." are the sort of things I have read on here. I was wondering if anyone using such phrases has actually looked into what logic is? A simple or in depth look?

I am only asking because I have been flicking in and out of a programme on TV called the "Joy of Logic". It was interesting I thought and got me thinking I take logic for granted and don't really know enough about it. Syllogisms and other types of logic.

There is a nerdy logic joke I heard that I didn't even catch first time around. It goes something like this. 3 logicians walk into a pub and the landlord asks them "would you all like a beer?". The first logician says "I don't know". The second says "I don't know". Then the third thinks for as moment and says "Yes! We would like a beer."

Did you get it??

The key is the word "all" in the question. The first wanted a beer but had no idea if the others did so had to answer truthfully that he didn't know. Same with the second, but the third had heard the others say they didn't know so knew that they really wanted a beer. If any of the others didn't want a beer they could say honestly "no!" Since they didn't say that then the third knew they wanted the beer and since he wanted one he could answer yes!!

That is a simple example of a type of logic.

Anyone else actually think about logic and what it is? Reckon I'd like to know more. Afterall mathematics needed some of the best logical thinkers to put it on solid ground. It is the base of a lot of science too. You either have the science you prove through experimentation or that you prove through logic.
I like the joke, very clever.

My own take: When people use the term "logical response" and "logic follows that...", they are really saying "if you don't want to be seen as illogical, you will need to agree with what I am saying".

It's a bit of a condescending manner of speech.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Ask a quick question to someone casually... why do you do what you do, and the quick answer is my boss wants it done., and here goes the logic into wilderness.
This is the very reason why the process interaction is so much a misunderstood concept.
This is the very reason why a steel rule is calibrated
This is the reason why works are duplicated
This is the reason why data is piled over data but analysis seldom is meaningful
This is the reason why CA are not effective
This is the reason why process validation is a mystery.....
The logic is belief system for some, and for some others it is not their job.
Life and work was supposed to be simple, however it has become the stress and strain when understanding was left aside.

C

Curtis317

Another use of logic. Global Warming is not true. Why? Because if it were true then all the people that are harping about it would not fly personal jets to far out islands to talk about it. They would conduct the meetings in a big place where commercial jets fly and reduce carbon emissions. Or do a web meeting.:lmao:

Wes Bucey

The Chicago School of Economics is ultimately based on the logic of the "group mind," which posits that individuals may base their decisions on illogical beliefs, but that if the universe [market] of individuals is large enough, the various beliefs cancel each other out and result in a "logical" market. The logical market may not seem orderly or logical to the individual, but on a macro scale it is both logical and orderly.

:topic:
I got the point of the logic anecdote right away, but it was essentially a "cheat" since I presented puzzles like that frequently to my kids as they were going through school to help them learn to be more observant and discriminating when listening to teachers and reading texts.

TPMB4

Yes Wes, a nice cheat that if you are not of the observant mindset you need a double-take. I for one did not get it, make no bones about that. I consider myself logical which is why I brought this up. People, myself included, do not know logic. They use logic when they can and probably haven't even thought what made that logical.

I found it interesting how there are types of logic and how the likes of the Vienna set used logic to provide a foundation for mathematics. The idea that mathematics does not have it's own foundations solid and true interested me. I always viewed mathematics as the foundation of science, rightly or wrongly. It seems you can probably follow mathematics back through logic to philosophy. We might have been using logic for millennia (intelligent ape afterall) but have we understood it? How many would get that little joke?

Michael_M

The problem with logic (at it's core) is humans are not logical. While we may use logic on occasion, perception has a higher influence than logic does. Our perception of reality changes and influences us more than logic does.

For example in the joke:

3 logicians walk into a pub and the landlord asks them "would you all like a beer?". The first logician says "I don't know". The second says "I don't know". Then the third thinks for as moment and says "Yes! We would like a beer."
Going back and re-reading it knowing the answer (which I did not get the first time), the third one still does not know if "would you all like a beer?" The only thing the third one knows is the first two don't know. The answer of "I don't know" does not tell the third one if the first two want a beer. All it tells him is they don't know. The better answer for the first two would be something like "I do, I don't know about the other two/one"

TPMB4

The question is would all of you want a drink? Perhaps I typed it slightly wrong. The strict interpretation is with emphasis on the ALL. If the first one did not want the pint of beer then he could quite rightly say "No!" So the logician in that makes the logical interpretation that he does want a beer because he could not answer. If he could then the only 100% true answer is no and only if he did not want a beer.

The second makes this assumption but not knowing the other one wants a beer or not still can't answer unless he didn't want a beer. Each time I stated that each logician did want a beer but could only interpret the earlier one's answer because he did not say no.

Do you see how the inability to give an answer but having to say "don't know!" meant the wanted a beer. The last one could make the logical interpretation they both wanted a beer so could answer for himself and the other two.

Basically it is possible for the last one to give the right answer in this case. I only got it when he went through it again. I got it just before he gave the game away, much better than me I will admit. I'm not a natural story or joke teller. I can ruin them at 100 paces!!

Michael_M

If the first one does not want a beer and answers "no", since the word 'All' was used, he is then saying we 'all do not want a beer'. This is why I was saying perception. I am perceiving that "do you all want a beer" is yes or no to all. I can see it both ways.

In a written form, with the proper use of punctuation, your answer would be more correct than mine. However in the spoken form, without proper inflections, pauses, and perfect grammar either can be interrupted.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Has anyone heard of Run at Risk? Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
B ASA Aviation Supply Association - Has anyone heard of ASA? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D Has anyone had sudden challenges from Korea-MFDS? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D FDA Biomarker Qualification Program - Has anyone prepared an application? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Has anyone heard of the 2 pan system? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Has anyone here assessed the latest Abbreviated 510(K) guidance document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Has anyone undergone a BARDA (HHS) audit as part of their grant process? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
K Has anyone used QAI for training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
D Has anyone here had any experience with PQ-FMEA software? FMEA and Control Plans 1
S Has anyone completed IATF 16949 Certification - Share your Audit Experience? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Has anyone created a Turtle Diagram reflecting the new ISO 9001:2015 Structure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Has anyone done a Gage R&R for Spectrophotometer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
T Has anyone completed the AS9100D Quality Manual transition? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
D Has anyone taken the AS9100 Delta course / exam? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 37
D Medica show in Dusseldorf - Has anyone else gone? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A AS9100C to D - Has anyone done a gap analysis? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
T Has anyone been through the ISO 14001:2015 process? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
Marc Has anyone here gotten Gigabyte Fiberoptics (Internet) to home? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
M Has anyone had their electronic system scrutinized in an FDA inspection? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
P Has anyone ever heard of the Eastern Weighing and Inspection Bureau? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Has anyone successfully challenged the new IATF site extension change? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
R Does anyone know why the TC 176 website has been hijacked by CSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
GStough Rx-360 - Has Anyone Used This and What Was Your Experience? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Has anyone made an ISO9001:2015 vs. ISO9001:2008 Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
I Has anyone read BIP 0115:2014? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D ?Pa? Capability Index - Has anyone ever heard of this? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
optomist1 Has anyone recently taken the GD&T ASME Y14.5M Certification Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Jim Wynne Has Anyone Had Trouble with IMDS 8.0? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 17
G Has anyone used shlomo Aviv-lean consultant? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
M Has anyone purchased their powerball tickets? 17 May 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
T Has anyone done both Quality and Facility Security Officer (FSO) roles ? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
M Has anyone used SGS as a CB (Certification Body)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
B Has anyone used Arena Software Simulation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
C Has anyone used GageWare Software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
M Has anyone used "Paradigm 3" software to Control their Quality or Management System? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
Q Has Anyone Heard of Quality University (Online Courses) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
P Has anyone ever heard of "Quality Gates" (Volkswagen term?) - APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 11
A Has anyone tried a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
I Has anyone ever heard of Registrar QSRD-International? Registrars and Notified Bodies 36
M Has anyone of you have experience with the World Class Manufacturing system? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
K Does anyone has experience with determining if Lubricants and Greases are Food Grade? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
R SOPs in Manufacturing - Has anyone got a management process that works? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K Has anyone had experience dealing with SEDEX (Supplier Ethical Data Exchange)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
B Has anyone developed an OHSAS 18001 Safety Management System Balanced Scorecard? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
D Has anyone used Mango as their Quality Software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9