Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Has anyone done both Quality and Facility Security Officer (FSO) roles ?

tori2432

Involved In Discussions
The company I work for just got into government contracts and is required to increase the security and hire a certified FSO. The current ITAR person is a friend of mine and they pitched to the owners that I should be the FSO (Facility Security Officer) although I do not currently have the required certificate or have had the background check. (I am currently the Quality Coordinator) If it were my company, I would want someone with experience for this position as they would be covering 6 plants. I am sure she has my best interest in mind but the question I am struggling with is how boring would this job be? I love Quality because I can do projects and save tons of money - the problem solving avenue is rewarding to me. However, more money and vac time are included with this new position if offered to me. Has anyone done both jobs or know anything about FSO? :confused:

LesPiles

Involved In Discussions
Hello Tori2432

I'm not a FSO but C-TPAT Officer ...

If you think there is a similitude, I would be glad to help !

LesPiles

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
The company I work for just got into government contracts and is required to increase the security and hire a certified FSO. The current ITAR person is a friend of mine and they pitched to the owners that I should be the FSO (Facility Security Officer) although I do not currently have the required certificate or have had the background check. (I am currently the Quality Coordinator) If it were my company, I would want someone with experience for this position as they would be covering 6 plants. I am sure she has my best interest in mind but the question I am struggling with is how boring would this job be? I love Quality because I can do projects and save tons of money - the problem solving avenue is rewarding to me. However, more money and vac time are included with this new position if offered to me. Has anyone done both jobs or know anything about FSO? :confused:
I am sure she has HER best interest in mind, but certainly not directing that interest into proper action items.
FSO needs different skill sets and experience, and almost entirely different from the quality coordinator.
Are you being used ???
C-TPAT (Customs-Trade Partnership against Terrorism) is about supply chain security program.
See more about C-TPAT to understand this risk based assessment in global supply chain security against terrorism.
Congrats to Lespiles. But a FSO is different

Last edited:

tori2432

Involved In Discussions
I asked my boss what he thought and he said my skills were better served elsewhere.... Quality Coordinator where I am is about document control, audits, monthly reports... quite boring actually, I was a very successful QE for the auto industry for many years. Just started creating a slew of work instructions for the new ERP system :bonk:.......
If I stay in my current role, Six Sigma certification is to follow, not sure where that would lead. Such a delimma, doing something totally different. Isn't it pretty cut and dried? The law is the law?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Somashekar, could you provide your perception of the skill set(s) as well as define the experience base you feel is needed to function as a sponsored DSS contractor facility, NISPOM certified FSO, a governmental position of trust, so i could appropriately respond to your post.

thanks...
Jackbey...
We could get into a dialog that may not help the OP. We have posted our opinions, and let the OP take all possible inputs and make the next move. You have brought in many other position names, so I am sure you have enough and more knowledge about them. We will be more than happy if the OP gets from you what he wants to make his decision.

G

Gmzita

tori2432 -

Like LesPiles - I am very familiar with C-TPAT and a few other TSA programs involving corporate security. As QA Manager, I was given the responsibility to draft our programs back in 2002 when I was called into the VPs office and informed that since "I deal with all this government lingo - you are the best person to deal with this".:bonk:
My QA Skill sets came in very handy in reviewing and interpreting the requirements for the development of our programs. My only regret is that the Company decided that due to the sensitive information involved with the additional TSA programs (as jackbey stated above) - an Executive Level Manager would be better suited to follow through with the implementation and Management of the programs.:(

From my perspective - I do not think you will be bored. It will be a challenge because its different from QA but its built on the same skill sets and I think if you are up to it - you may enjoy it.

S

Shoes

I was a Facility Security Officer for 3 years. Some skills transfer between Quality and Security very well. The ability to interpret requirements is very important in both areas. There is also the tendency to over build in both areas. So if you take the opportunity, be mindful of what is actually required.
The DSS (Defense Security Service) has a pretty good web site. You would be working closely with them to both establish a secure facility, permission to process, and store data.
As an earlier post stated - you will know more about your co-workers than you want to, so discretion is important. I once had an employee ask me 'how' illegal something he was thinking about doing was. You will have some very interesting days, be ready for them. Also, you will be working with people, if you are more comfortable working with processes and projects, it may be quite a change.
I wish you the best - I always love a new challenge.

tori2432

Involved In Discussions
As it turns out, she had told her FBI contact about it and he put in for the job - I am sure with her help and of course they gave it to him. I'm going to be leery of her in the future for now! Off to find a Six Sigma course... so many to choose from!

Top Bottom